ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement: This article describes the results of theoretical and experimental studies that looked at a new gold flotation method and at the corresponding laboratory unit designed by the Department of Mineral Processing of the North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. The unit is designed to change the size of air bubbles in the process simulating the industrial agitation-froth process. Objectives: The authors of this research look at improving the flotation process in the conditions of unsteady heat applied to the gas-liquid interface aimed at enhancing the recovery of gold from ores. Originality: Contribution has been made to the theory of designing floatation installations in which heat is applied to the wetting film. The authors identified the flotation mechanism for the environment in which a mixture of air and hot steam is used as the gas phase. They also established the enabling factors and what makes it a highly efficient process. The analysis shows that when a bubble filled with hot water vapour suddenly comes in contact with cold liquid, the surface of the bubble starts oscillating due to the phase mass transfer, i.e. when the disperse phase condenses and the carrier phase evaporates. The intensity of phase transitions is determined by the heat transmission properties of the components within the interacting phases. When the bubble is compressed, the steam transfers more heat to the liquid than the heat it receives from the liquid during expansion. The factors that change the stability of wetting films when the temperature rises include the surface forces of the structural origin with nanobubbles involved. Findings: The flotation process developed, in which the heat transfer medium, i.e. hot water vapour, is supplied directly to the wetting film, enables to improve both the recovery of the valuable metal and the quality of the concentrate at a high specific throughput rate. Practical Relevance: With the help of the gas-liquid interaction pattern identified with the two phases having different temperatures, one can develop a specific approach to engineering new high-effeciency flotation processes.

Keywords

Steam-air mixture flotation, heat exchange, mass transfer, evaporation, condensation, performance of the bubbles.

Sergey I. Evdokimov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assistant Professor

North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technical University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tatiana E. Gerasimenko – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assistant Professor

North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technical University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Pan L., Jung S., Yoon R.-H. Effect of hydrophobicity on the stability of the wetting films of water formed on gold surfaces. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2011, vol. 361, no. 1, pp. 143–150.

2. Danov K.D., Kralchevsky P.A. Capillary forces between particles at a liquid interface: General theoretical approach and interactions between capillary. Advances in colloid and interface science. 2010, vol. 154, no. 1–2, pp. 91–103.

3. Wang J., Yoon R.-H., Morris J. AFM surface force measurements conducted between gold surfaces treated in xanthate solutions. International Journal of Mineral Processing. 2013, vol. 122, pp. 13–21.

4. Heydari G., Moghaddam M.S., Tuominen M., Fielden M., Haapanen J., Makola J.M., Claesson Per. M. Wetting hysteresis induced by temperature changes: super cooled water on hydrophobic surfaces. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2016, vol. 468, pp. 21–23.

5. Tie L., Guo Z., Li W. Optimal design of superhydrophobic surfaces using a paraboloid microtexture. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2014, vol. 436, pp. 19–28.

6. Truong V.K., Owuor E.A., Muugaraj P., Crawford R.J., Mainwaring D.E. Impact of particle nanotopology on water transport through hydrophobic solid. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2015, vol. 460, pp. 61–70.

7. Wu Y., Cai M., Li Z., Song X., Wang H., Pei X., Zhou F. Slip flow of diverse liquids on robust superhydrophobic surface. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2014, vol. 414, pp. 9–13.

8. Kuznetsov G.V., Feoktistov D.V., Orlova E.G. The spread of a water droplet over substrates of different wettability. Inzhenerno-fizicheskiy zhurnal [Journal of Engineering Physics], 2016, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 310–316. (In Russ.)

9. Gasanov V.M. Measurement of the equilibrium contact angle of wetting as a method for studying the surface energy state at the solid-liquid-gas interface. Inzhenerno-fizicheskiy zhurnal [Journal of Engineering Physics], 2016, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 599–605. (In Russ.)

10. Shishkova I.N., Kryukov A.P. An approximate solution of the conjugate problem of heat and mass transfer through the interphase surface. Inzhenerno-fizicheskiy zhurnal [Journal of Engineering Physics], 2016, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 483–489. (In Russ.)

11. Bochkareva E.M., Nemtsev V.A., Sorokin V.V. et al. Reduction in vapour pressure during condensation on a cold liquid. Inzhenerno-fizicheskiy zhurnal [Journal of Engineering Physics], 2016, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 537–548. (In Russ.)

12. Levdanskiy V.V., Smolik I., Zdimal V. The impact of various effects on the formation of aerosol nanoparticles during condensation of supersaturated vapour. Inzhenerno-fizicheskiy zhurnal [Journal of Engineering Physics], 2014, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1199–1205. (In Russ.)

13. Evdokimov S.I., Pan'shin A.M., Solodenko A.A. Mineralurgiya. V 2-kh t. T. 2. Uspekhi flotatsii [Minerallurgy. In 2 volumes. Vol. 2. Progress in floatation], Vladikavkaz: MAVR Research, Production & Trade Company, 2010, 992 p. (In Russ.)

14. Evdokimov S.I., Evdokimov V.S. Processing of ores and man-made copper-nickel materials using the jet steam-air flotation process. Izv. vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Proceedings of the Russian universities. Non-ferrous metallurgy], 2015, no. 2, pp. 3–8. (In Russ.)

15. Evdokimov S.I., Datsiev M.S., Podkovyrov I.Yu. Development of a new flotation circuit and method for the Olimpiada mine ores. Izv. vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Proceedings of the Russian universities. Non-ferrous metallurgy], 2014, no. 1, pp. 3–11. (In Russ.)

16. Lezhnin S.I., Sorokin A.L. Simulation of the rarefaction impulse evolution when cold liquid comes in contact with saturated vapour. Teplofizika i aeromekhanika [Thermophysics and Aeromechanics], 2010, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 397–400. (In Russ.)

17. Aktershev S.P. The growth of a vapour bubble in an extremely superheated liquid. Teplofizika i aeromekhanika [Thermophysics and Aeromechanics], 2005, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 445–457. (In Russ.)

18. Kobozev M.A., Simonovskiy A.Ya. The measurement method, the experimental unit and the results of measurement of how often vapour bubbles form when a magnetic fluid is boiling on a single nucleation site. Zhurnal tekhnicheskoy fiziki [Journal of Engineering Physics], 2007, vol. 77 (11), pp. 31–38. (In Russ.)

19. Korolev A.V. A description of the pressure jump in steam-water injectors. Energetika: Izv. vuzov i energeticheskikh obyedineniy SNG [Power engineering: Proceedings of the Russian universities and the energy associations from CIS], 2009, no. 6, pp. 31–36. (In Russ.)

20. Churaev N.V. Surface forces and the physical chemistry of surface effects. Uspekhi khimii [Progress in chemistry], 2004, vol. 73 (1), pp. 26–38. (In Russ.)

21. Boynovich L.B. Long-range surface forces and their role in the development of nanotechnology. Uspekhi khimii [Progress in chemistry], 2007, vol. 76 (5), pp. 510–529. (In Russ.)

22. Vinogradova O.I. Osobennosti gidrodinamicheskogo i ravnovesnogo vzaimodeystviya gidrofob-nykh poverkhnostey: dis. ... dokt.fiz.-mat.nauk [Hydrodynamic and equilibrium interaction of hydrophobic surfaces. Doctoral dissertation]. Moscow: RAS Institute of Physical Chemistry, 2000, 175 p. (In Russ.)

23. Simonsen A.C., Hansen P.L., Klosgen B. Nanobubbles give evidence of incomplete wetting at a hydrophobic interface. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2004, vol. 273, pp. 291–299.

24. Hampton M.A., Nguyen A.V. Nanobubbles and the nanobubble bridjing capillary force. Advances in colloid and interface science. 2010, vol. 154, no. 1-2, pp. 30–55.

25. Galimzyanov M.N., Lepikhin S.A. A two-phase mixture flowing out through a nozzle and the phase transitions that take place. Vestnik Samarskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Yestestvennonauchnaya seriya [Bulletin of the Samara State University. Natural science series], 2010, no. 2 (76), pp. 96–104. (In Russ.)