ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

At this time, the railway products market is the one that is rapidly growing while offering great investment opportunities. This is due to the fact that in order to satisfy the demand for railway services the market needs novel railway equipment and infrastructure. At the moment, it is ISO 9001 that provides guidelines to ensure the quality of rail fastening systems and other railway products. However, the above standard does not account for all the requirements set by the railway industry today. Based on literature and regulations, the authors of this article attempt to describe the issues of ensuring the quality of railway products with their specific characteristics. The need to elaborate new guidelines for the railway industry is due to the fact that a broad spectrum of complex and controversial issues has to be settled for efficient operation and for rendering services that would meet the expectations of both consumers and railway companies. This laid the basis for the advanced Business Management System (BMS) specified by IRIS. This article examines the possibility to enhance production processes through the implementation of IRIS. Ensuring high quality of products for the railway industry is among the main objectives behind the standard. One of the IRIS features includes a company evaluation process based on points. The article also describes an IRIS-compliant general implementation plan for BMS with regard to the manufacturers of rail fastening systems.

Keywords

Business management system, railway products, product certification, product quality management.

Igor Yu. Mezin – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Igor G. Gun – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aleksandr S. Limarev – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Е-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mikhail Yu. Ushakov – Senior Inspector at the Technical Audit Center of an RZD branch, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Valery L. Steblyanko – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Sergei A. Fedoseev – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Perm State National Research Polytechnic University, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Gun G.S., Mezin I.Yu., Rubin G.Sh., Minaev A.A., Nazaybekov A.E., Dyia H. The genesis of scientific research in the field of steel quality. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2014, no. 1 (45), pp. 92–97.

2. Pikalin Yu.A., Skoraeva E.A., Bannykh Yu.M. Upravlenie kachestvom na predpriyatiyakh-proizvoditelyakh zheleznodorozhnoy tekhniki putem primeneniya sovremennykh tekhnologiy menedzhmenta, zalozhennykh v trebovaniyakh mezhdunarodnogo standarta zheleznodorozhnoy promyshlennosti IRIS [Quality management at the enterprises of railway equipment manufacturers implemented through the application of modern management techniques incorporated in the IRIS requirements]. Innovatsionniy transport [Innovative transport], 2015, no. 4 (18), pp. 7–12.

3. Yu. Mezin, I. G. Gun, A. S. Limarev, I. A. Mikhailovskiy. Some aspects of launching the production of spring clips for rail fas-tenings. CIS Iron and Steel Review. 2016, vol. 12, pp. 26–31.

4. Limarev A.S., Mezin I.Yu., Ushakov M.Yu. Review of the main requirements for performance and quality characteristics of the railway bolting. Kalibrovochnoe byuro [Pass Design Department], 2016, no. 8, pp. 42–46.

5. Vorobiev A.A., Obukhova E.A., Guryanov S.A. The IRIS standard: From the traditional QMS to the business management system. Standarty i kachestvo [Standards and quality], 2011, no. 8, pp. 75–77.

6. Yurkov A.F., Klekovkin V.S. We were the first in Russia to meet the requirements of the IRIS standard. Standarty i kachestvo [Standards and quality], 2013, no. 2, pp. 38–40.

7. Mezin I.Yu., Limarev A.S., Ushakov M.Yu. Analysis of the requirements to the properties of rail fastenings and the spring clip production. Kachestvo v obrabotke materialov [Materials processing and quality], 2016, no. 2(6), pp. 22–27.

8. Lapidus V.A., Kotov S.S. The IRIS Standard – A Guide for Reaching Business Excellence. Tekhnika zheleznykh dorog [Engineering of railways], 2010, no. 1, pp. 38–45.

9. Limarev A.S., Moller A.B., Kasatkina E.G., Zotov S.V., Konstantinov M.M., Glushkov I.N. Increasing the efficiency of production through the introduction of innovative business strategy. Izvestiya Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta [Proceedings of the Orenburg State Agrarian University], 2015, no. 4 (54), pp. 69–72.

10. Moller A.B., Limarev A.S., Kaledina O.S. Quality management on the basis of the company's innovative strategy. Izvestiya Yugo-Zapadnogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Proceedings of the South-West State University], 2015, vol. 1, no. 4 (61), pp. 45–50.

11. Vorobiev A.A., Obukhova E.A. The IRIS standard: Re-thinking of business. Tekhnika zheleznykh dorog [Engineering of railways], 2012, no. 1(17), February. pp. 69–76.

12. Zalunaev M. Creation and implementation of a business management system in accordance with the IRIS requirements. Metody menedzhmenta kachestva [Methods of quality management], 2014, no. 12, pp. 41–42.

13. Kudryavtsev S.A. IRIS as an advanced solution for the railway industry. Zhurnal MMK [Journal of MMK], 2012, no. 8.

14. Palkin S.V., Senkovskyi O.A. et al. The IRIS standard. Tekhnika zheleznykh dorog [Engineering of railways], 2009, no. 1, pp. 62–65.

15. Myrzekenova A.T. The importantance of implementation and certification of management systems for compliance with the IRIS requirements at Kazakhstan enterprises. Zhurnal nauchnykh i prikladnykh issledovaniy [Journal of Basic and Applied Research], 2015, no. 5, pp. 40–44.

16. The view of Ekaterina Bochkareva on the new Assessment Sheet, compared to the previous questionnaire, 7 Edition IRIS Newsletter. Belgium, June 2015. 8 p.

17. Creation and implementation of a business management system in accordance with IRIS requirements. Zhurnal MMK [Journal of MMK], 2014, no. 12.

18. IRIS version 02 - R. Railway industry standard. UNIFE 2015.

19. Mezhdunarodnyi studencheskiy nauchnyi vestnik [International Bulletin of Student Research], 2015, no. 5 (part 5), pp. 613–614.

20. Kolupaev V. IRIS – Standard for Leaders. Gazeta “Gudok” [Gudok], 29/04/2010.

21. IRIS – Quality Standard. Zhurnal “Samoregulirovanie i biznes” [Self-Control & Business], 2012, no. 8.

22. Ozerov K. IRIS as a Growth Model with Lean Instruments. Zhurnal “Standarty i kachestvo” [Journal of Standards and Quality], 2016, no. 1.

23. Strategiya razvitiya zheleznodorozhnogo transporta v RF do 2030 g. [Development strategy for the railway industry of the Russian Federation until 2030]. Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 877-r dated 17/06/2008.

24. Lapidus B. JSC "RZD" to create its corporate quality management system. Standarty i kachestvo [Standards and quality], 2007, no. 11.

25. Sheremet N.M., Orlov V.N. Topical issues of quality management at JSC «Russian Railways». Zheleznodorozhny transport [Railway transport], 2007, no. 4.