ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

This article describes a procedure of overhauling an induction motor while making it more energy efficient, as well as a calculation method for estimating the costs incurred for such overhaul. The article describes both a conventional overhaul procedure and a repair procedure that also involves enhancing the motor energy efficiency. Mathematical formulas are given for calculating the labour and material costs necessary for repair and optimization of induction motors. The authors conducted a feasibility study demonstrating the cost-effectiveness of overhauling an induction motor while at the same time increasing its energy efficiency. The article relies on an algorithm and a computer program designed for labour and material costs estimation with regard to the conventional overhaul procedure and the one involving efficiency enhancement. It is shown that the latter can increase the efficiency factor and reduce the active power loss by 3-7% in the electric drive and the power supply system. Simulation data and the actual practice show that the additional optimization costs amount to 23-30% of the conventional overhaul costs. However, such additional upgrade costs can be justified within 0.25 to 0.8 years due to power savings. The results of this R&D project can be recommended for review by electrical departments of the running plants, electrical repair shops and energy efficiency centres.

Keywords

Induction motor, procedure, repair, upgrade, operations, labour, materials, modeling, algorithm, computer program, energy efficiency, cost-effectiveness, payback period.

Rif G. Mugalimov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Techical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Inna I. Barankova – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Techical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Regina A. Zakirova – Undergraduate Student

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Techical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aliya R. Mugalimova – Ph.D. (Eng.), Undergraduate Student

Ulyana V. Mikhaylova – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Techical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Gennadiy V. Nikiforov – D.Sc. (Eng.)

Semmering, Austria. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. On energy saving and on improved energy efficiency and on amendments to certain laws of the Russian Federation. Мoscow: Rid Grupp LLC, 2012, 80 p. (Recent legislation).

2. Mugalimov R.G. Asinkhronnye dvigateli s individualnoy kompensatsiey reaktivnoy moshchnosti i elektroprivody na ikh osnove: Monografiya [Inductions motors with PFC and electric drives designed on their basis: Monograph]. Magnitogorsk: NMSTU, 2011, 250 p. (In Russ.)

3. Mugalimov R.G. Modelling of energy efficiency of electric pump drives designed with inductions motors with PFC. Privodnaya tekhnika [Drives], 2011, no. 1, pp. 3–9. (In Russ.)

4. Mugalimov R.G. Experimental study of the energy efficiency of fixed speed pump drives designed with inductions motors with PFC. Privodnaya tekhnika [Drives], 2011, no. 2, pp. 2–8.

5. Mugalimov R.G., Mugalimova А.R. The concept of inductions motors with enhanced energy efficiency and electric drives designed on their basis. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudar-stvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2011, no. 1, pp. 59–63. (In Russ.)

6. Mugalimov R.G., Mugalimova А.R. Simulating the energy efficiency parameters of various types of industrial drives us-ing conventional and compensated induction motors. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Univer-siteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2011, no. 2, pp. 59–64. (In Russ.)

7. Mugalimov R.G., Kosmatov V.I., Mugalimova А.R. The method and the algorithm of designing compensated energy efficient induction motors. Sb. materialov 5-y mezhdunar. (16-y Vserossiyskoy) nauch. konf. [Proceedings of the 5th Interna-tional (16th All-Russian) Scientific Conference]. St. Petersburg, 2007, pp. 281–284. (In Russ.)

8. Mugalimov R.G., Mugalimova А.R. On design of an energy efficient induction motor with PFC. Elektromekhanicheskie i elektromagnitnye preobrazovateli energii i upravlyaemye en-ergomekhanicheskie sistemy: tr. 3 mezhdunar. nauch.-tekhn. konf. [Electromechanical and electromagnetic energy con-verters and controlled electromechanical systems: Proceed-ings of the 3rd International Scientific Conference]. Yekaterin-burg: Ural State Technical University-Ural Polytechnic Institute, 2007, pp. 77–80. (In Russ.)

9. Mugalimova А.R., Bokov А.I., Khramshin R.Ya. Software and hardware package for express-testing the energy efficiency of induction motors. Privody i komponenty mashin [Drives and machine components], 2015, no. 2, pp. 10–13. (In Russ.)

10. Mugalimov R.G., Mugalimova А.R. Comparison of induction motors and electrical equipment designed on their basis in terms of energy efficiency. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrical systems and plants], 2016, no. 4(33), pp. 14–19. (In Russ.)

11. Mugalimov R.G., Mugalimova А.R., Zakirova R.А. Optimization algorithm for overhauling and upgrading induction motors making them more energy efficient. Mashinostroenie: setevoy elektronniy nauchnyi zhurnal [Russian Internet Journal of In-dustrial Engineering]. 2016, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 64-68. Available at: http://www.indust-engineering.ru.

12. Mugalimov R.G., Zakirova R.А, Mugalimova А.R. Programmny kompleks dlya rascheta I optimizatsii sebestoimosti traditsionnogo kapitalnogo remonta I remonta s povysheniem klassa energoeffektivnosti asinkhronnykh elektrodvigateley [A software programme for estimation and optimization of costs incurred by conventional induction motor overhaul and induc-tion motor overhaul with efficiency upgrade]. Registration cer-tificate no. 2016610278, 2016.