ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Abrasive particles that are carried away with the blast furnace gas through double bell-and-hoppers tend to settle on the parts of the blast furnace throat, skips and other components, forming a solid deposit on the working surfaces. The presence of abrasive particles and a solid deposit on the friction surfaces can lead to an increased wear rate and affect the life of the unit. It appears to be an extremely important problem to try and find the way to reduce the blast furnace dust emission and solid deposit generation. Objectives: This article aims to look at the formation of solid deposits and at ways to reduce the amount of abra-sive particles carried with the blast furnace gas. Methods Applied: To achieve the above objectives studies were conducted that looked at the amount of blast furnace dust carried away through the gaps in double bell-and-hoppers depending on the temperature of the blast furnace gas and the furnace capacity. Originality: A relationship has been established between the distribution size of the blast furnace dust, the temperature, the clearance fit, the roughness of the contact surfaces of the bell and the hopper and the particle speed. Findings: The authors of the study estimated the total low area of the contact surfaces which provides an additional escape path for the blast furnace gas. There was a 60% increase found in the cross section of the clearance between the bell and the hopper with the surface roughness Rz = 10 μm versus absolutely smooth surfaces with the clearance fit of 0.03 mm. A corse dust (0.63 mm) travels through the gaps between the components of the double bell-and-hopper at a lower speed compared with finer particles (0.048 mm). Bigger mounting clearances lead to the blast furnace gas coming out at a higher speed. Rougher contact surfaces have a larger total cross section of the contact clearance between the bell and the hopper hindering the passage of the blast furnace gas. The temperature of the blast furnace gas has a major impact on the speed of the blast furnace dust. Thus, if the temperature of the blast-furnace gas increases from 200°С to 500°С (2.5 times), a 1.28-point increase in the speed of the blast furnace dust is observed. Practical Relevance: The reduction in the abrasive particles emission and the reduction of solid deposits can help extend the service life of the blast furnace mechanisms due to reduced wear.

Keywords

Double bell-and-hopper, blast furnace dust, abrasive particles, clearance fit, surface roughness

Dmitry V. Terentyev – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7960-180X

1. Sibagatullin S.K. The optimum degree of direct reduction of iron oxides. Stal’ [Steel], 1997, no. 4, рр. 1–5. (In Russ.)

2. Yu.S. Yusfin, P.I. Chernousov and A.Ya. Travyanov. Determination of the minimum possible coke consumption for blast-furnace smelting. Metallurgist, vol. 42, no. 4, 1998.

3. Vegman E.F. et al. Metallurgiya chuguna [Metallurgy of irons]. Ed. by Yu.S. Yusfina. Moscow: Akademkniga, 2004, 774 p. (In Russ.)

4. Shchedrin V.M. Teoriya domennoy plavki pod davleniem [The theory of pressure smelting]. Moscow: Metallurgizdat, 1962, 454 p. (In Russ.)

5. Idalchik M.M. Spravochnik po gidravlicheskim soprotivleniyam [Handbook of hydraulic resistance]. Moscow: Gosenergoizdat, 1960. (In Russ.)

6. Babarykin N.N. Teoriya i tekhnologiya domennogo protsessa [Theory and technology of the blast furnace process]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2009, 257 p. (In Russ.)

7. Sibagatullin S.K., Mayorova T.V., Chevychelov A.V., Gos-tenina V.A., Senkin K.V. Comparison of the properties of the MMK JSC stabilized sinter and those of the SSGP pellets. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2009, no. 3 (27), pp. 23–25.

8. Stefanovich M.A., Sibagatullin S.K., Gushchin D.N. Zakonomernosti dvizheniyz shikhty i gaza v domennoy pechi: monografiya [Blast furnace charge and gas flow patterns: monograph]. Ed. by S.K. Sibagatullin. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2011. 161 p. (In Russ.)

9. Sibagatullin S.K. Formirovanie sloya shikhty v koloshnikovom prostranstve domennoy pechi: uchebnoe posobie [Charge forming in the blast furnace throat: learner’s guide]. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2014. 188 p. (In Russ.)

10. Sibagatullin S.K., Kharchenko A.S., Beginyuk V.A. Processing solutions for optimum implementation of blast furnace operation. Metallurgist, 2014, vol. 58, pp. 285–293.

11. Chevychelov A.V., Pavlov A.V., Teplykh E.O., Kharchenko A.S., Sibagatullin S.K. Charging coke nuts in the batch bunker. Steel in Translation. 2013, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 434–435.

12. Stefanovich M.A., Monetov G.V., Sysoev N.P., Volkova N.G., Gulyaev G.M. On managing the blast furnace process by changing the operation mode of the bell-type distributor. Proizvodstvo chuguna. Mezhvuzovsky sbornik [Production of pig iron. Collection of papers]. Sverdlovsk, 1981, vol. 7, pp. 59–67. (In Russ.)

13. Sibagatullin S.K., Makhmutov R.F., Sibagatullina M.I., Starodubov V.A., Buranova E.F. On optimum distribution of raw materials around the blast furnace throat. Teoriya i tekhnologiya metallurgicheskogo proizvodstva [Theory and technology of iron and steel production]. 2014, no. 2 (15), pp. 31–34. (In Russ.)

14. Vaganov A.I., Konoplev A.D., Sibagatullin S.K., Polinov P.A. Technology behind automatic process control of the gas flow distribution around the blast furnace circumference. Teoriya i tekhnologiya metallurgicheskogo proizvodstva. Mezhregionalny sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Theory and technology of iron and steel production. Collection of papers]. Ed. by V.M. Kolokoltsev, Magnitogorsk: Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2004, vol. 4, pp. 10–14. (In Russ.)

15. Sibagatullin S.K., Gushchin D.N., Timofeev V.Yu., Filippov A.I., Sibagatullina M.I. On the relationship between the angles of charging and the distribution of raw materials around the blast furnace throat. Teoriya i tekhnologiya metallurgicheskogo proizvodstva [Theory and technology of iron and steel production], 2015, no. 1, pp. 30–35. (In Russ.)

16. Borisov A.F. Sovety nachalniku domennogo tsekha [Some tips for blast furnace supervisor]. Moscow: Progress, 1996. 218 p. (In Russ.)

17. Sibagatullin S.K., Terentyev V.L. Ultimate utilization of the reducing gas in a blast furnace. Stal’ [Steel]. 2000, no. 1, рр. 11–14. (In Russ.)

18. Rogov M.V., Gulyaev G.M., Bondar’ A.A., Sibagatullin S.K. Looking at the factors that caused wear on the lining and the cooling system of Blast Furnace 4 with the capacity of 2000 m3 operated by Orsk-Khalilovsk Iron & Steel Works. Byulleten’ NTI. Chernaya metallurgiya [Bulletin of scientific and technical information. Ferrous metallurgy], 1990, no. 2, рр. 53–54. (In Russ.)

19. Takhautdinov R.S., Terentjev V.L., Sibagatullin S.K., Mavrov A.L., Fadeev A.M., Ivanov R.G., Zakharov S.A. Development of blast furnaces at Magnitogorsk iron and steel works 3rd International Conferenze on Science and Technology of Ironmaking and 3rd European Rolling Conferenz. Düssekdorf, Germany. 2003, рр. 331–333.

20. Druzhkov V.G., Sibagatullin S.K., Suvorov M.N., Prokhorov I.E. Improving the blast furnace and the counter-current on the basis of heat transfer theory. Nauchnye shkoly UPI-UGTU №2. S tvorcheskim naslediem B.I. Kitaeva – v ХХI vek [Scientific schools of Ural Polytechnic Institute-Ural State Technical University No. 2. With the legacy of B.I. Kitaev - into the twenty-first century]. Yekaterinburg, 1998, рр. 95–97. (In Russ.)

21. Stefanovich M.A., Sibagatullin S.K., Gulyaev G.M., Shkurko E.F., Pishnograev S.N. Utilization of blast furnace process management tools. Proizvodstvo chuguna [Production of pig iron]. Sverdlovsk, 1982, vol. 8, рр. 99–107. (In Russ.).