ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance):  This paper is concerned with an urgent problem of industrial waste utilization. The authors show that in some cases the utilization of industrial waste results in a considerably reduced final product cost. It was found that the application of industrial waste can have a positive effect on the quality of some of the materials used in the foundry industry. Objectives: The objective is to draw the attention of the academic community to the environmental problems caused by industrial sites and to demonstrate that the application of industrial waste can improve the quality of moulding materials applied in foundry industry while reducing the cost of the final product. Methods applied: This research is based on the standard methods of analyzing the physical and mechanical properties of moulding materials used in foundry industry. Originality: The originality of this research includes enhanced chemical compositions of moulding sand mixtures used to produce foundry moulds, cores and heat insulating covers, which include extrusion starchy agent, tripoli powder, flue ash from heat power-stations, haydite dust, slag from non-ferrous and ferrous metallurgy etc., all of which are the types of industrial waste. Practical Relevance: The authors show what practical value the industrial waste can have in the foundry industry. This includes a partial utilization of industrial waste, an improved quality of the foundry materials, reduced casting costs and an enhanced quality of castings. It was established that the use of waste products has a great potential in the development of new materials and that further research in this area can boost the national economy.

Keywords

Technology, industrial waste, moulds, cores, components, compositions.

Ilya E. Illarionov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Academician of RANS, Distinguished Scientist of the Russian Federation, Distinguished Scientist of the Chuvash Republic

Ulyanov Chuvash State University, Cheboksary, Russia.

Igor A. Strelnikov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Ulyanov Chuvash State University, Cheboksary, Russia.

1. Illarionov I.E., Zhuravlev Yu.A., Strelnikov I.A. Environmental problems of steel industry: lecture notes. Cheboksary: Publishing House of the Chuvash University Press, 2015, 88 p.

2. Dvorkin L.I., Dvorkin O.L. Construction materials made from industrial waste. Rostov-on-Don: Feniks, 2007, 368 p.

3. Illarionov I.E., Leushin I.O., Ulyanov V.A., Gushchin V.N., Novoselov V.V. Fundamentals of industrial ecology, the theory of processes and gas purification devices installed in foundries and at related sites: monograph, part 1. Ed. by I.E. Illarionov. Cheboksary – Nizhny Novgorod: Novosibirsk State Technical University, 2003, 196 p.

4. Illarionov I.E., Leushin I.O., Ulyanov V.A., Gushchin V.N., Novoselov V.V. Fundamentals of industrial ecology, the theory of processes and gas purification devices installed in foundries and at related sites: monograph, part 2. Ed. by I.E. Illarionov. Cheboksary – Nizhny Novgorod: Novosibirsk State Technical University, 2003, 216 p.

5. Illarionov I.E., Strelnikov I.A, Nikitin S.I. A composition for the production of casting moulds. Patent RF, no. 2187404, 2002.

6. Strelnikov I.A., Evlampiev A.A., Ivanova L.A. A composition for the production of casting moulds and cores. Patent RF, no. 2267376, 2006.

7. Illarionov I.E., Strelnikov I.A., Petrova N.V., Zhuravlev A.F. Heat-insulating mixture for the insulation of the head of castings. Patent RF, no. 2356688, 2009.

8. Illarionov I.E., Strelnikov I.A. A mixture used in the production of casting moulds and cores. Patent RF, no. 2033880, 1995.

9. Illarionov I.E., Strelnikov I.A. A mixture used in the production of casting moulds and air-blown cores. Patent RF, no. 2026766, 1995.

10. Grachev A.N., Koshelev O.S., Leushin I.O., Leushina L.I., Maslov K.A. Nitre bath slag found in heat treatment lines – Novel material for foundryindustry. Zagotovitelnye proizvodstva v mashinostroenii [Blank production in machine building industry]. 2013, no. 10, pp. 6–8.