ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

This article looks at the ways to improve the quality of carbamide-based salt cores by introducing some cryptocrystalline graphite from the Kureysk deposit. It is shown that the introduction of 5-15% graphite activated in the RETSCH РМ 400 МА planetary mill changes the crystallization pattern of the core and turns the cavity into fine gas pores evenly distributed across the core section due to the occurrence of crystallization centers, i.e. active graphite particles which absorb gases produced by the salt mixture during its preparation. The size of the pores and the affected core surface were analysed by studying the photos which were produced on the Zeiss OBSERVER.D1m microscope with the help of the SiamsPhotolab program and processed with the help of a program designed to calculate the surface porosity. It is demonstrated that the introduction of up to 10 wt. % of graphite led to the pore size reduction from 0.19 to 0.14 mm at the core surface and from 1.54 to 0.85 mm in the core; the surface area which had pores was reduced from 1.27 to 0.03%. An increased graphite concentration (up to 15 wt.% or more) would result in zero porosity either on the surface and in the core. The high performance of the salt core surface is due to a smooth, or equilibrium, crystallization of the salt melt, which is confirmed by the results of the differential thermal analysis. The introduction of graphite does not entail a substantial change to the crystallization parameters. The research carried out to determine how the graphite concentration can effect the salt core roughness, which was analysed with the help of the TR200 profilometer, showed that 5% was the optimal graphite concentration for a salt core (with Ra decreased from 0.538 to 0.08) leading to less roughness in the resultant casting.

Keywords

Graphite, hydrochloric rod, roughness, pores, crystallization.

Igor V. Uskov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tatiana R. Gil’manshina – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sergey V. Belyaev – D.Sc. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Tatyana A. Bogdanova – Ph.D. (Eng.), Head of Metallurgical Department

КiК LLC, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Daniel I. Uskov – Assistant Professor

Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia

Eugene G. Partyko – Postgraduate Student

Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia

1. Chernyshev P.A., Khalikova K.K. Calculating the dynamics size formation in the investment casting. Mashinostroitel'nye tekhnologii: studencheskaya nauch. konf [Engineering technology: Students’ Scientific Conference], 2010, рр. 1–6.

2. Adámková Eliška, Jelínek Petr, Beňo Jaroslav, Mikšovský František Water-soluble cores – verifying development trends. Materiali in tehnologije. 2015, no 249(1), рр. 61–67.

3. Jelínek P., Adámková E., Mikšovský F., Beňo J. Advances in Technology of Soluble Cores for Die Castings. Archives of foundry engineering. 2015, vol. 15, iss. 2, рр. 29–34.

4. Material sterzhnej [Core material]. Available at: http://hydromech.kiev.ua/2014/10/material-sterzhnej

5. Ruddl R.W. The solidification of castings. London, 1957. 162 с.

6. Bondar' А.А., Dudzinskiy Yu.M., Kolesnik К.V., Voronova о.I. Cooled metal cores with thermal barrier coatings. Technology audit and production reserves, 2013, no 3/2(11), рр. 9–11.

7. Svojstva model'nykh sostavov [Properties of waxes]. Available at: http://www.juwelir.info/index.php/shtampovka/litepovyplavlyaemymmodelyam/464-svojstva_model_nyh_sostavov.

8. Kraev B.A., Churik M.N., Shibanov V.P. Smes' dlya izgotovleniya vodorastvorimyh litejnyh sterzhnej [A wax for water-soluble cores]. A.s. SV, no. 1031631, 1983.

9. Timann Dirk, Shiller Gudrun, Kehfer Diter et al. Sterzhni na solevoj osnove i sposob ih izgotovleniya [Salt cores and their manufacture]. Application for Patent DE no. 2011105861, 2009.

10. Method of manufacturing expendable salt core for casting and expendable salt core for casting. Available at: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090205801#ixzz3oUsswPra.

11. Gilmanshina T.R., Uskov I.V., Belyaev S.V. et al. Production of salt cores for precision castings. Liteynoye proizvodstvo [Foundry]. 2014, no 8, рр. 17–20.

12. Mamina L.I., Belyaev S.V., Gil'manshina T.R. et al. Nanostrukturirovannye grafitsoderzhashchie izdeliya [Nanostructured graphite products]. Krasnoyarsk: Siberian Federal University, 2013, 268 p.

13. Gilmanshina T.R. Razrabotka sposobov povysheniya kachestva litejnogo grafita otdel'nymi i kompleksnymi metodami aktivacii: aftoref. dis. … kand. tekhn. nauk [Developing ways to improve the quality of foundry graphite through the application of separate and combined activation methods. Extended abstract of Ph.D. dissertation]. Chelyabinsk: South Ural State University, 2004, 16 p.

14. Baranov V.N., Dovzhenko N.N., Gilmanshina T.R. et alStudying the relationship between the quality of natural cryptocrystalline graphite and the treatment regimes. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2015, no. 2(50), pp. 54–59.