ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Today’s rolling industry faces ever increasing requirements for the surface quality of rolled products and, consequently, the quality of rolls. Cast iron indefinite chill rolls used in the finishing stands of rolling mills should offer a high wear resistance and a high resistance to surface microcracking. The working layer properties of cast iron indefinite chill rolls are determined by the structure of cast iron they are made of. The properties of indefinite chill cast iron can be enhanced through an optimized chemical composition. Objectives: This study focuses on the effect of the chemical composition on the working layer structure and hardness in the cast iron indefinite chill rolls as illustrated by industrial data. The work also attempts to identify what concentrations of the chemical elements will help enhance the roll performance. Methods Applied: Artificial neural networks were used for the purpose of the study. Neural network software based on the dual functioning algorithm was applied for database processing, which can process data arrays with numerous input and output data. Originality: As a result of processing, a neuromodel was obtained that can predict the properties of indefinite chilled cast iron within the chemical composition variation ranges being studied. The authors analysed a combined effect of carbon, silicon, manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, vanadium, niobium and boron on the structure and hardness of indefinite chilled cast iron. The effect of each element is non-linear and depends on the concentrations of the other elements. Findings: Graphs were drawn that show the effect of each chemical element at constant concentrations of the other elements. The article describes how the ratio between the structural phases and hardness changes within the studied range of varying chemical composition of indefinite chilled cast iron. The authors determined the optimum concentrations of the chemical elements within the focus range. Practical Relevance: There was an adjustment done to the chemical composition of the working layer of the cast iron indefinite chill rolls produced at the Kushva Roll Manufacturing Factory CJSC. The improved rolls showed a good performance when utilized in roll mills both in Russia and abroad.

Keywords

Mill rolls, indefinite chilled cast iron, chemical composition, hardness, structure, wear resistance.

Radiy H. Gimaletdinov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Director of Production and Prospective Development Kushva Roll Manufacturing Factory CJSC, Kushva, Russia. ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-1388-9748

Andrey A. Gulakov – Chief Metallurgist Kushva Roll Manufacturing Factory, Kushva, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-6519-282X

Ildar H. Tukhvatulin – Ph.D. (Eng.), Deputy Chief Metallurgist Kushva Roll Manufacturing Factory, Kushva, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-8309-4326

1. Budagjantc N.A., Karsskiy V.E. Litye prokatnye valki [Cast mill rolls]. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1983, 175 p.

2. Gimaletdinov R.Kh. Proizvodstvo prokatnykh valkov iz vysokokachestvennykh chugunov [Manufacturing mill rolls from high quality cast irons]. Moscow: Polteks, 2000, 329 p.

3. Vdovin K.N. Prokatnye valki: monografiya [Mill rolls: Mono-graph] Magnitogorsk: The publishing house of Nosov Magni-togorsk State Technical University, 2013, 443 p.

4. Voronkov B.V., V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Kompleksno-legirovannye iznosostoikie chuguny: Monografiya [Complex wear-resistant cast alloys: Monograph]. Chelyabinsk: Iz-datelstvo REKPOL, 2005, 178 p.

5. Levi L.I., Tsypin I.I., Garber M.E. et al. Chromium-manganese-molybdenum abrasion-resistant cast irons. Liteynoe proizvodstvo [Foundry], 1969, no. 9, pp. 7-9.

6. Tsybrov S.V., Avdienko A.V., Sanarova E.V. et al. Choosing an efficient technique for obtaining liquid cast iron and its chemical composition for casting sheet rolls. Liteinye protsessy [Casting processes]. Magnitogorsk: NMSTU, 2004, no. 4, pp. 39-43.

7. Vdovin K.N., Gimaletdinov R.Kh., Kolokoltsev V.M., Tsybrov S.V. Prokatnye valki: monografiya [Mill rolls: Monograph]. Magnitogorsk: NMSTU, 2005, 543 p.

8. Kolokoltsev V.M., Naumenko A.V., Kuts V.A. et al. The effect of alloying elements on the properties of cast iron rolls for a hot rolling application. Teoriya i tekhnologiya metallurgicheskogo proizvodstva [The theory of metallurgy and the metallurgical processes]. Magnitogorsk, 2001, no. 2, pp. 210-219.

9. Ri E.Kh., Kolokoltsev V.M., Ri Hosen et al. Kompleksno-legirovannye belye chuguny funktsional’nogo naznacheniya v litom i termoobrabotannom sostoyaniyakh [Functional applica-tion complex white cast iron alloys in the as-cast and heat treated states]. Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 2006, 275 p.

10. Bor, kaltsiy, niobiy i tsirkoniy v chugune i stali / per. s angl. V.A. Mchedlishvili and V.V. Khovrin; pod red. S.M. Vinarova [Boron, calcium, niobium and zirconium in cast iron and steel. Translation from English by V.A. Mchedlishvili and V.V. Khovrin. Edited by S.M. Vinarov]. Moscow: GNTI ChTsM, 1961, 460 p.

11. Krukovich M.G., Prusakov B.A., Sizov I.G. Plastichnost’ bori-rovannykh sloev [The plasticity of borated layers]. Moscow: FIZMATLIT, 2010, 384 p.