ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): It is the metal microstructure that primarily determines what combination of mechanical and performance properties the final steel products will have, as well as their processability and applicability. The technical and patent literature looks at the relationship between the metallurgical quality of an as-cast billet and the process and heat treatment parameters and the structure and properties of the wire rod for welding. However, in a number of cases the choice of process conditions that would efficiently lead to the formation of a homogeneous ferritic structure with completely or partially excluded negative bainitic-martensitic areas in a low-carbon alloy wire rod is not a straightforward choice. This article looks at increasing the plasticity of wire rod at the steel-making stage and during the wire rod heat treatment process rather than during the actual wire rod production, which is the conventional approach. Objectives: The article aims to analyze the effect of metallurgical factors and heat treatment on the structure of the wire rod designed for the manufacture of welding electrodes and copper-coated wire for semi- and automatic welding, as well as to develop an efficient end-to-end process from steel production and refining to continuous casting, rolling and the Stelmor line heat treatment process, which would provide a high-performance annealing-free wire drawing operation with the above-mentioned welding products obtaining the desired performance characteristics. Methods Applied: The chemical composition of the steel was determined with the help of standard spectrometers. The metallographic tests were based on optical and scanning and transmission electron microscopy. The microsegregation of chemical elements and the chemical composition of non-metallic inclusions were studied with the help of energy and wavelength dispersive X-ray spectrometers within a scanning electron microscope by electron microanalysis. Micro hardness testers were applied for structural component microhardness measurements. Tensile tests were carried out for the wire rod. A CCT diagram was developed using a dilatometric technique. Originality: The authors have developed scientifically proven solutions for optimising the chemical composition of low-carbon steel alloyed with manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum and vanadium at different combinations and concentrations. The authors have defined the conditions for efficient micro-alloying of steel with boron correlated with the nitrogen concentration. The authors have also found an efficient temperature range for the low carbon alloy wire rod austenitization process ensuring an efficient quasi-isothermal cooling rate during the air phase. The rate values were determined when analysing a CCT diagram. Findings: The study helped establish the following scientifically sound relationships: The boron to nitrogen ratio of 0.8 +/- 0.15 should be used for boron microalloying to prevent the impacts of free boron and nitrogen, with free boron entailing an increased hardenability and free nitrogen leading to ferrite strengthening and the ageing effect while at the same time minimizing the hardening element concentration resulting in their minimum grade-determined concentration defined based on the equivalent carbon and/or manganese content (their values should be no greater than 0.55 and 2.10% respectively). Heat treatment of the Sv-08G2S and Sv-08KhG2SMF steels involves austenization at 950-980°C and cooling which takes place under insulation caps at the rate of 0.15 to 0.30°C/s and results in the ferrite structure formation with the minimum number (no more than 5% and 15% respectively) of bainitic-martensitic areas at the cross section. This provided a high processability with no need for softening treatments. Practical Relevance: This gives the best combination of the wire rod structure and properties meeting regulatory and customers’ requirements and ensuring a high-performance wire drawing process.Thus, in the case of the Sv-08G2S steel the tensile strength dropped from 750 to 500 MPa, the contraction ratio increased from 35 to 75%, the number of bainitic-martensitic areas saw an 8-fold reduction (from 40 to 5%). This also saved two intermediate recrystallization annealing operations when drawing a 0.8 mm wire out of a 5.5 mm wire rod.

Keywords

Metallurgical factors, micro-alloying, boron, wire rod, Stelmor line, heat treatment, cooling rate, structure, properties, bainitic-martensitic areas.

Mark Kizhner – Ph.D. (Eng.), Technical Manager HOD-ASSAF Metals Ltd. - Kiriyat Gat Rolling Mill, Ashkelon, Israel. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexander B. Sychkov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0886-1601

Maxim A. Sheksheyev – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assistant Professor Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4790-2821

Sergey O. Malashkin – Postgraduate Student Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Gyuzel’ Ya. Kamalova – Postgraduate Student Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Mironov O.A. The effect of chemical composition on the structure and properties of heat- and wear resistant cast irons. Izvestiya vysshykh uchebnykh zavedenii. Chernaya metallurgiya [Proceedings of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy], 2007, no. 3, pp. 44-47.

2. Ri E.Kh., Ri Khosen, Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. et al. Kompleksno-legirovannye belye chuguny funktsional’nogo naznacheniya v litom i termoobrabotannom sostoyanii [Func-tional application multi-alloyed white cast irons in the as-cast and heat-treated states]. Vladivostok: Dalnauka, 2006, 275 p.

3. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Molochkov P.A. Struc-ture and Wear Resistance of Chromium-Vanadium Cast Irons. Izvestiya vysshykh uchebnykh zavedenii. Chernaya metal-lurgiya [Proceedings of higher educational institutions. Fer-rous metallurgy]. 2004, no. 7, pp. 25-28.

4. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Voronkov B.N. Kom-pleksno-legirovannye belye iznosostoykie chuguny [Wear re-sistant multi-alloyed white cast irons]. Cheliabinsk: Izdatelstvo REKPOL Print Shop, 2005, 178 p.

5. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Solovyev V.P., Tsybrov S.V. Edited by Kolokoltsev V.M. Spetsial’nye chuguny. Litye, termicheskaya obrabotka, mekhanicheskie svoystva: ucheb. posobie [A guide in special cast irons: Casting, heat treatment, mechanical properties]. Magnitogorsk: NMSTU, 2009, 187 p.

6. Pokhodnya I.K. Welding materials: The current state and development trends. Avtomaticheskaya svarka [Automatic Welding], 2003, no. 3, pp. 9-20.

7. Gracheva V.S. Nizkolegirovannye provoloki s uluchshennymi tekhnologicheskimi svoystvami dlya svarki v zashchitnykh ga-zakh stroitel’nykh metallokonstruktsii: dissertatsiya kandidata tekhnicheskikh nauk: 05.23.01; 05.16.01 [Low-alloy wire with improved processing properties for gas-shielded welding of steel structures: Ph.D. dissertation: 05.23.01; 05.16.01]. Makeevka, 1996, 202 p.

8. Kulesha V.A., Degtyarev V.N., Khabibulin D.M., Urtsev V.N., Klekovkina N.A., Miroshnichenko V.D. Effect of rolling in the two-phase region on the structure and mechanical properties of the 08G2S wire rod and wire. BTI Chernaya metallurgiya [BTI Ferrous metallurgy], 2000, no. 6, pp. 69-73.

9. Kulesha V.A., Degtyarev V.N., Khabibulin D.M. et al. Analys-ing the impact of the final wire rod rolling temperature on the structure and mechanical properties of the wire. BTI Chermet-informatsiya: Chernaya metallurgiya [BTI Chermetinformatsiya: Ferrous metallurgy], 2000, no. 3, 4, pp. 64-65.

10. Deyneko L.N., Klimenko A.P., Gul’ Yu.P., Karnaukh A.I., Dud-kina O.A. A study of the process parameters effect on the austenite decomposition kinetics in the 08G2S steel. Stroi-tel’stvo, materialovedenie, mashinostroenie: sbornik nauch-nykh trudov [Construction, materials science, mechanical en-gineering: Research papers]. Dnepropetrovsk: PGASA, 2002, pp. 106-111.

11. Shibata K. Boron behavior in the steel and its effect on the structure and properties. Institute of Japan's steel industry, 2000. Information from the Internet.

12. Bobylev M.V., Lamukhin A.M., Kuvshinnikov O.V. et al. Opti-mized hardenability and composition of heat-treated boron steel. Stal’ [Steel], 2002, no. 7, pp. 68-71.

13. Frank A. R., Kirkcaldy A. The effect of boron on the properties of electric arc-sourced plain carbon wiredrawing qualities. Wire Journal International, 1998, no. 5, pp. 100-113.

14. B. Yalamanchili, J. Nelson, P. Power, D. Lanham. North Star Steel Texass experience with boron additions to low-carbon steel. Wire Journal International, 2001, no. 11, pp. 90-94.

15. Medyushko V.A., Razorenov O.N., Krivorotov V.I., Medyushko Yu.V. Analysis of the welding wire quality indicators by statis-tical evaluation of the chemical composition stability. Industri-ya [Industry], 2005, no. 1(39).

16. Rosikhin V.V., Bolshakov V.I., Vorobyev G.M. et al. On the possibility of the formation of a solid solution of silicon in iron. Stroitel’stvo, materialovedenie, mashinostroenie: sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Construction, materials science, mechani-cal engineering: Research papers]. Dnepropetrovsk: PGASA, 2003, vol. 22, pp. 129-135.

17. Gultsin A.S., Sokolov A.A., Zaytseva M.V., Bakaev D.R. Improving the quality of the Sv-08G2S welding wire at MMK JSC and MMK-METIZ JSC. Gorniy zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2012, no. 3.

18. Stogniy Yu.D., Stovpchenko A.P., Grishchenko Yu.N. Looking at the production of steel with a given level of mechanical properties. Vestnik Priazovskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Vesnik of Priazovskyi State Technical University], 2010, pp. 10-13.

19. Stovpchenko A.P. The problem of steel micro-alloying in rela-tion to the production of welding wires. Sovremennye prob-lemy metallurgii: sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Current problems of metallurgy: Research papers], Vol. 1, Dnepropetrovsk, 1999, pp. 133-141.

20. Taranets M.A. Current trends in the production of the Sv-08G2S welding wire. Rynki sortovogo prokata i metizov: sbornik materialov vtoroy ezhegodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [Long products and metalware markets: Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Research Confer-ence]. Alushta, 2004 (Metall-kuryer), pp. 83-85.

21. Kostyuchenko V.P., Taranets M.A., Degtyarenko Z.A., Shamin S.A., Kuzyakov V.D. The problems of welding materials production at Mezhgosmetiz-Mtsensk JSC. Metizy [Hardware], 2006, no. 3 (12), pp. 17-20.

22. Kostyuchenko V.P., Taranets M.A., Degtyarenko Z.A., Shamin S.A., Kuzyakov V.D. Some features of copper-coated welding wire production at Mezhgosmetiz-Mtsensk JSC. Svarshchik v Belorussii [Welder in Belarus], 2005, no. 1 (18), pp. 12-15.

23. Emelyushin A.N., Sheksheev M.A. Looking at the effect of heat cycles on the primary structure of the K56 steel in a welding operation. Aktual’nye problemy sovremennoi nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya [Important problems of modern sci-ence, technology and education], 2011, no. 1, PP. 150-153.

24. Emelyushin A.N., Sychkov A.B., Zavalishchin A.N., Sheksheev M.A. Formation of the structure and properties of welded joints in the K56steel grade in an arc welding operation. Chernye metally [Ferrous metals], 2013, no. 8 (980), pp. 18-22.

25. Emelyushin A.N., Sychkov A.B., Sheksheev M.A. Looking at the formation of the structure and properties of the heat-affected zone in low-alloy steel pipe in different arc welding conditions. Chernaya metallurgiya [Ferrous Metallurgy], 2013, no. 9 (1365), pp. 50-52.

26. Emelyushin A.N., Sychkov A.B., Sheksheev M.A. Looking at the weldability of the K56 high-strength pipe steel. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Univer-siteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2012, no. 3, pp. 26-30.

27. Sychkov A.B., Zavalishchin A.N., Perchatkin A.V. Structure formation in a high-plasticity steel wire rod made of the Sv-08G2S low-carbon boron microalloyed steel. Vestnik Magni-togorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Tech-nical University], 2012, no. 2, pp. 50-53.

28. Sychkov A.B., Parusov V.V., Nesterenko A.M., Zhukova S.Yu., Zhigarev M.A., Perchatkin A.V., Peregudov A.V., Chuyko I.N. Struktura i svoystva katanki dlya izgotovleniya elektrodov i svarochnoi provoloki [The structure and properties of the wire rod for welding]. Bendery: Poligrafist, 2009, 608 p.

29. Parusov V.V., Zhukova S.Yu., Evsyukov M.F., Sychkov A.B. et al. The kinetics of phase transformations in the continuously cast Sv-08G2S steel wire rod under continuous cooling conditions. Fundamental’nye i prikladnye problemy chernoy metallurgii: sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Basic and applied problems of ferrous metallurgy: Research papers]. Dnepropetrovsk: DrukarnyaVizion, 2004, vol. 9, pp. 191-197.

30. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Derevyanchenko I.V., Zhukova S.Yu., Kucherenko O.L., Zhigarev M.A. High-deformability wire rod made of steel Sv-08G2S. Metallurgist. January 2007, vol. 51, iss. 1-2, pp. 121-130.

31. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Zhukova S.Yu., Zhigarev M.A. The effect of the chemical composition and process parame-ters on the mechanical properties of the Sv-08G2S steel wire rod. Metallurgicheskaya i gornorudnaya promyshlennost’ [Metallurgical and Mining Industry], 2005, no. 4, pp. 68-71.

32. Nesterenko A.M., Sychkov A.B., Zhukova S.Yu., Sukhomlin V.I. Fine microstructure of wire rods manufactured from Sv-08G2S high-plasticity steel. Metallurgist. September 2008, vol. 52, Iss. 9-10, pp. 511-516.

33. Sychkov A.B., Sheksheev M.A., Malashkin S.O., Kamalova G.Ya. The structure of the wire rod made of the Sv-08G2S steel with an improved chemical composition. Sovremennye problemy gorno-metallurgicheskogo kompleksa. Nauka i proizvodstvo. T.1: trudy XII Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem [Current issues of mining and metallurgy. Science and Industry. Vol. 1. Proceedings of the 12th Russian Research Conference with international participation]. Stary Oskol: Publishing house of the MISA branch, 2015, pp. 213-219.

34. Sychkov A.B., Parusov V.V., Zhigarev M.A., Zhukova S.Yu., Perchatkin A.V., Peregudov A.V. Development of a producton process for rolled welding wire made from Sv-08KHGSMFA alloy. Metallurgist, July 2007, Vol. 51, Issue 7-8, PP. 384-393.

35. Nesterenko A.M., Sychkov A.B., Sukhomlin V.I., Zhukova S.Yu., Moroz A.N. Special features of rod from steel Sv-08KHG2SMF. Metal Science and Heat Treatment, Vol. 51, no. 7-8, pp. 372-374.

36. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Derevyanchenko I.V., Zhigarev M.A. A new application of boron in metallurgy. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], no. 1 (9), 2005, pp. 15-17.