ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): Granulating isa novel technique for manufacturing aluminium and aluminium alloy products. Instead of the conventional ingot casting, which is a complex and effort-consuming process, the new technique is based on granules, i.e. micro-ingots with strong hereditary properties. This process does not only help reduce the labor costs of die forging, but it also offers significant benefits in terms of quality. Objectives: The study aims to improve the quality of granule products. Methods Applied: Tests were carried out to identify the effect of the forging temperature and speed on the mechanical properties of forgings. The workpieces were made of granules of the 01969 alloy, which is one of the high-strength Al-Zn-Mg-Cu alloys. Pressed rectangular section billets with the elongation ratio of 10 were forged into billets with a trapezoidal cross-section. The billets were then placed in an electric furnace and heated up to a predefined temperature for two hours. Findings: It was determined that the forging process that ensures the most favourable conditions in terms of plasticity leads to enhanced mechanical properties in the finished product. The forging temperature was found to have a similar effect but to a lesser extent. The forging temperature range of 300 to 350 оC and the shear strain rate intensity of Н = 5×10-2–1×10-1 sec-1 were identified as ensuring the highest level of mechanical properties of the die forgings.

Keywords

Granular materials, forgings, quality, mechanical properties, structure, technique.

Vasily I. Belokopytov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia. Phone: (391) 294-23-28. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Garibov G.S. Granule metallurgy as the basis of building advanced aircraft engines. Tekhnologiya legkikh splavov [Light alloy technology], 2007, no. 1, pp. 66–78. (In Russ.)

2. Konkevich V.Yu., Lebedeva T.I. The development of the material science of granulated aluminium alloys and the technology behind them. Tekhnologiya legkikh splavov [Light alloy technology], 2013, no. 4, pp. 113–123. (In Russ.)

3. Pol'kin E.S. The development prospects of titanium alloy granule metallurgy. Tekhnologiya legkikh splavov [Light alloy technology], 2011, no. 4, pp. 5–10. (In Russ.)

4. Belokopytov V.I., Gubanov I.Yu. Spetsial’nye vidy shtampovki: teoriya i tekhnologiya shtampovki pokovok iz granul alyuminievykh splavov [Specific forging operations: The theory and technology of producing forgings from aluminium alloy granules. Monograph]. Krasnoyarsk: SFU, 2013, 130 p. (In Russ.)

5. Osintsev O.E., Konkevich V.Yu. High-strength rapidly crystallized Al–Zn–Mg and Al–Zn–Mg–Cu alloys. Tekhnologiya legkikh splavov [Light alloy technology], 2010, no. 1, pp. 157–163. (In Russ.)

6. Osintsev O.E., Konkevich V.Yu. On the role of the main com-ponents and transition metals in high-strength rapidly crystal-lized Al–Zn–Mg–Cu alloys. Tekhnologiya legkikh splavov [Light alloy technology], 2014, no. 2, pp. 57–64. (In Russ.)

7. Mironenko V.N. [et al.] The aging kinematics of the 01969 and 01995 granular aluminium alloys. Tezisy dokladov II Vsesoyuznoy konferentsii po metallurgii granul [Abstracts of the 2nd All-Union Conference on Granule Metallurgy]. Moscow: VILS, 1987, pp. 133–134. (In Russ.)

8. Kolmogorov V.L. Mekhanika obrabotki metallov davleniem [Metal forming mechanics]. Yekaterinburg: The Ural State Technical University – UPI, 2001, 836 p. (In Russ.)

9. Shepelskii N.V. [et al.] Optimization of granular aluminium alloy forging parameters based on the study of the alloy rheo-logical properties. Metallurgiya granul: sbornik statey. Vypusk 5 [Granule metallurgy: A collection of articles. Iss. 5]. Moscow: VILS, 1989, pp. 147–152. (In Russ.)

10. Konstantinov I.L. [et al.] Modelling a hot die forging operation based on the AK6 aluminium alloy. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya [Non-ferrous metallurgy], 2015, no. 1, pp. 45–48.

11. Sidorenko V.D. [et al.] The effect of galvanized granules on the structure and mechanical properties of the 01969 alloy briquettes, billets and forgings. Tezisy dokladov II Vsesoyuznoy konferentsii po metallurgii granul [Abstracts of the 2nd All-Union Conference on Granule Metallurgy]. M.: VILS, 1987, pp. 158–160. (In Russ.)

12. Bampton, C.C., Wert J.A., Mahoney M.W. Heating rate effects on recrystallized jrain size in two Al-Zn-Mg-Cu alloys. Met. Trans. A. 1982, vol. 13 a, no. 2, pp. 193–198.