ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

It is primarily the microstructure that determines the mechanical properties and performance of steel products, as well as their processability. The technical literature describes the effects of the metallurgical quality of primary steel sections and of process and heat treatment parameters on the structure and properties of high carbon wire rod. However, sometimes it is not easy to identify the best processes to get a finely dispersed pearlitic structure, the required decarbonization and other properties in cast and rolled steel to be used for steel cord production. The purpose of this work is to study the effects of metallurgical factors and heat treatment on the structure of wire rod designed for steel cord production, and to develop an efficient end-to-end process technology comprising steel making, refining, continuous casting, rod production and heat treatment processes using a Stelmor line which ensures a required scope of steel cord properties and a highly efficient thin wire drawing and stranding process. Among the techniques applied, standard spectrometers were used to determine the chemical composition of steel. The metallographic study was performed through scanning optic and electron microscopy. The chemical segregation and the chemical composition of nonmetallic inclusions were analyzed through energy-dispersive and wavelength dispersive X-ray spectroscopy on an electron probe micro analyzer (EPMA). Microhardness was measured at different loads using a microhardness tester. The wire rod was tested on tensile-testing machines. Dilatometric techniques were applied to build a CCT diagram. The originality of the study includes development of proven solutions for austenization temperature for high carbon wire rod to ensure an efficient cooling rate at the air-cooling stage. The efficient cooling rates were identified when analyzing the CCT diagram. The following proven patterns have been established. The steel is microalloyed with boron at the boron to nitrogen ratio of < 0.4 to prevent the negative impact of free boron and nitrogen when boron causes increased hardenability and nitrogen leads to ferrite strengthening and steel aging. Steel contamination with nonmetallic inclusions was studied and effective solutions were offered on how to modify them. The heat treatment process of 70-85 steel involves austenization at 950-980оС and cooling at the rate of 25-30оС/s with sorbitic pearlite formed covering at least 70% of the rod section. This results in the best combination of wire rod structure and properties with high processability meeting both regulatory and consumers’ requirements.

Keywords

Metallurgical factors, nonmetallic inclusions, microalloying, boron, wire rod, Stelmor line, heat treatment, cooling rate, structure, properties.

Kizhner Mark – Ph.D., Technical Manager, HOD-ASSAF Metals Ltd. - Kiriyat Gat Rolling Mil, Ashkelon, Israel. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Sychkov Alexander Borisovich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Mag-nitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Sheksheev Maxim Aleksandrovich – Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Malashkin Sergey Olegovich – Postgraduate Student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnito-gorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Kamalova Gyuzel’ Yagafarovna – Postgraduate Student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Mironov O.A. Effect of Chemical Composition on the Structure and Properties of Heat and Abrasion Resistant Cast Irons. Izvestiya vysshykh uchebnykh zavedenii. Chernaya metallurgiya [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Ferrous metallurgy]. 2007, no. 3, pp. 44-47.

2. Ri E.Kh., Ri Khosen, Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Kompleksno-legirovannye belye chuguny funktsionalnogo naznacheniya v litom i termoobrabotannom sostoyanii [Functional application multi-alloyed white cast irons in the cast and heat-treated states]. Vladivostok: Dalnauka, 2006, 275 p.

3. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Molochkov P.A. Structure and Wear Resistance of Chromium-Vanadium Cast Irons. Izvestiya vysshykh uchebnykh zavedenii. Chernaya metallurgiya [Proceedings of Russian Universities. Ferrous metallurgy]. 2004, no. 7, pp. 25-28.

4. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Voronkov B.N. Kompleksno-legirovannye belye iznosostoykie chuguny [Wear resistant multi-alloyed white cast irons]. Cheliabinsk: Izdatelstvo REKPOL Print Shop, 2005, 178 p.

5. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Solovyev V.P., Tcybrov S.V. Edited by Kolokoltsev V.M. Spetsialnye chuguny. Litye, termicheskaya obrabotka, mekhanicheskie svoystva: ucheb. posobie [A guide in special cast irons: Casting, heat treatment, mechanical properties]. Magnitogorsk: NMSTU, 2009, 187 p.

6. Savenok A.N., Vedeneev A.V. New Advances in Steel Cord Production. Stal’ [Steel]. 2004, no. 10, pp. 60-61.

7. Stolyarov A.Iu. Up-to-date equipment for steel cord production. Mekhanicheskoe oborudovanie metallurgicheskikh zavodov [Mechanical equipment of metallurgical plants]. Interdisciplinary scientific papers. Ed. Korchunov A.G. Edition 2. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2013, pp. 146-152.

8. Vedeneev A.V., Panizovich V.S. New Trends in Steel Cord Equipment. Litye i metallurgiya [Casting and Metallurgy]. 2005, no. 4 (36), pp. 81-85.

9. Gordienko A.I., Krylov-Oleferenko V.V. Perspectives of Process Technology Application in Steel Cord Production. Litye i metallurgiya [Casting and Metallurgy]. 2009, no. 2 (51), pp. 138-143.

10. Alekseev Iu.G., Kuvaldin N.A. Metallokord dlia avtomobilnykh shin [Steel cord for automobile tyres]. Moscow: Metallurgiia, 1992, 192 p.

11. Stoliarov A.Iu., Tokarev N.V. Forming of a Homogeneous Pearlitic Structure of a Patented Workpiece in the Production of High Strength Tyre Cords. Metiz [Metalware]. 2011, no. 1, pp. 18-24.

12. Abramenko O.V., Zaytseva T.L. 25th Anniversary of Belorus-sian Steel Cord. Chernye metally [Ferrous metals], 2012, no. 10, p. 10-20.

13. Sychkov A.B., Zhigarev M.A., Stoliarov A.Iu., Sheksheev M.A., Zhukova S.Iu., Malashkin S.O. Metallurgicheskie i metallovedcheskie aspekty proizvodstva vysokouglerodistoy katanki [High carbon wire rod production: Metallurgical and physicometallurgical aspects]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2014, 257 p.

14. Bogdanov N.A., Kutakov A.V., Sychkov A.B. et al. On the justification of a limited addition of non-ferrous metals in carbon wire rod. Stal’ [Steel]. 2000, no. 1, pp. 67-69.

15. Zaytsev A.I., Zaytseva I.E., Shakhpazov E.Kh. et al. A feasibility study of copper removal from liquid iron by evaporation. Elektrometallurgiia [Electrometallurgy]. 2003, no. 10, pp. 31-37.

16. Pivovarci M., Kijak J. Nondesirable addities contents reduction in continuously cast steel. Metallurgiia. 2002, 41, no. 1, pp. 57-60.

17. Liakishev N.P., Pliner Iu.L., Lappo S.I. Borsoderzhashchie stali i splavy [Boron steels and alloys]. Мoscow: Metallurgiia, 1986, 192 p.

18. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Derevianchenko I.V., Zhigarev M.A. New metallurgical application of boron. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of NMSTU]. 2005, no. 1(9), pp. 15-17.

19. Bogdanov N.A., Sychkov A.B., Derevyanchenko I.V., Parusov V.V., Nesterenko A.M., Starov R.V. et al. Development and introduction of a technology for making boron-bearing steel. Metallurgist. February 1999, vol. 43, iss. 2, pp. 71-75.

20. Nesterenko А.М., Sychkov A.B. Dimensional and geometric aspects of alloying with boron and copper. Fundamental’nye i prikladnye problemy chernoy metallurgii [Fundamental and practical issues of ferrous metallurgy]. Dnepropetrovsk: Vizion, 2004, iss. 7, pp. 181-183.

21. Med’ v chernykh metallakh [Copper in ferrous metals]. Ed. Mey I.L. and Shetki M.M. Translated from English. Мoscow: Metallurgiia, 1988, 312 p.

22. Anil Kumar, Satish C. Koria, Dipak Mazumdar. An Assesment of Fluid Flow Modelling and Residence Time Distribution Phe-nomena in Steelmaking Tundish System. ISIJ International. 2004, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1334-1342.

23. Craig I.G., de Kock D.J., Makgata K.W. e.a. Design Optimisation of a Single-strand Continuous Caster Tundish Using Residence Time Distribution Data. ISIJ International. 2001, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1194-1200.

24. Parusov V.V., Parusov O.V., Chuyko I.N., Sychkov A.B. Scientific and technological aspects of high-grade rolled wire production. Metallurgical and Mining Industry. 2010, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 137-142.

25. Gubenko S.I., Parusov V.V., Derevianchenko I.V. Nemetallicheskie vkliucheniia v stali [Non-metallic impurities in steel]. Dnepropetrovsk: ART-PRESS, 2005, 536 p.

26. Parusov V.V., Derevyanchenko I.V., Sychkov A.B., Zhigarev M.A. et al. Ensuring high quality indices for the wire rod used to make metal cord. Metallurgist. November 2005, vol. 49, iss. 11-12, pp. 439-448.

27. Sychkov A.B., Malashkin S.O., Zhigarev M.A. Evolution of equipment and techniques for heat treatment of wire rod. Stal’ [Steel]. 2015, no. 10, pp. 50-54.

28. Grigorovich K.V., Ivanov E.V., Enders V.V. Improving a high quality cord steel production process. Litye i Metallurgiia [Steel casting and making]. 2003, no. 4, pp. 105-109.

29. Skok Iu.Ia. Improving the quality of steel through modifications. Stal’ [Steel]. 1992, no. 8, pp. 13-17.

30. Malinochka Ia.N., Titova T.M., Kurasova. Composition and structure of globular sulphides in steels with REM. Stal’ [Steel]. 1986, no. 4, pp.78-83.

31. Belalov Kh.N. Building properties in rope wire. Stal’nye kanaty: Nauch. tr. [Steel ropes: Research papers]. Odessa: Astroprint, 2001, pp. 105-116.

32. BUSCBR-spec: GS-02-002. Wire rod for steel cord producers. General purchase specification. 8 p.

33. Sychkov A.B., Sheksheev M.A., Malashkin S.O., Kamalova G.Ia. Particulars of forming the structure and properties of bundled steel products. Metallurgiia: tekhnologiia, innovatsii, kachestvo [Metallurgy: Technology, innovations, quality]. Metallurgiia 2015. Papers from the19th International Re-search Conference: Novоkuznetsk: Siberian State Industrial University, Part 2, pp. 96-102.

34. Process for heat treating a carbon steel wire: U.S. Patent 4830684.122113; filed Nov.18.1987; date of patent May 16, 1989.

35. J. Aghazadeh. The optimization of interlamellar spacing in a nanopearlitic lead-patented hypoeutectoid steel wire. J. Aghazadeh, M.Saadatmand. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance. Vol. 20(8), November 2011, р. 1467.

36. Henric Alberg. Material modelling for simulation of heat treatment. Luleå University of Technology University. 2003:07, p. 22.

37. Tishchenko V.V., Lutsenko V.A., Sychkov A.B. et al. Decarbonized layer depth in carbon wire rod by different manufacturers. Metallurgicheskaia i gornorudnaia promyshlennost’ [Steel making and ore mining industry]. 2003, pp. 61-64.