ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

The present study looks at the main surface hardening techniques used for die tooling and mill rolls. Among various physical techniques, laser-assisted coating deposition (or laser cladding) is worth special attention due to its multiple advantages. Laser cladding offers a high efficiency (up to 150cm3/h of the deposit) and versatility in terms of coating thickness (0.1–1.0 mm) and applicable materials (Fe-based, Co-based, Ni-based alloys etc.). Moreover, laser cladding offers the possibility to produce multi-material coatings with enhanced properties such as wear-, heat- and shock-resistance. Considering the afore-mentioned advantages, a hypothesis was suggested regarding the possibility of obtaining coatings with advanced, physical properties through laser cladding. The purpose of the study is to provide an overview of the key techniques behind enhancing the surface mechanical properties and to study the process of laser cladding with cobalt- based powder containing a reinforcing phase as a perspective technique for enhanced die tool performance. The experimental section of the study is concerned with the laser cladding process used for the production of metal-ceramic composite coatings. Coatings were obtained which consist of a matrix built with a cobalt alloy and a titanium carbide reinforcing phase. Key physical properties of such coatings were studied. Although the application of heat-resistant cobalt-based alloys for die tool protection is of high relevance, its industrial application is rather limited. It is obvious that such die tool protection techniques will be in high demand in the future. However, a large-scale experiment is necessary to optimize the laser cladding process and to identify the proper composition of the powder mixture.

Keywords

Powder metallurgy, die tooling, thermal treatment, chemical thermal treatment, laser cladding, stellite, titanium carbide.

Philippe Bertrand – Ph.D., Professor, National Engineering School of Saint Etienne. Director of Education and Innovations, Director of Studies in Additive Technologies and Surface Engineering, France. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Igor Movchan – Ph.D. (Physics and Mathematics), responsible for research projects at the National Engineering School of Saint Etienne, France. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Samodurova Marina Nikolaevna – Ph.D. (Eng.), Assistant Professor, South Urals State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Dzhigun Nikolay Sergeevich – Postgraduate Student, South Urals State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Polukhin P.I., Tyurin V.A., Davidkov P.I., Vitanov D.N. Obrabotka metallov davleniem v mashinostroenii [Metal forming in the engineering industry]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1983, 279 p.

2. Ivanov V.I., Burumkulov F.Kh. Strengthening and extending the life of objects with the help of the spark erosion technique: Classification and Features. Elektronnaya obrabotka materialov [Electronic materials processing]. 2010, 5, pp. 27-36.

3. Blanter M.E. Teoriya termicheskoy obrabotki [Theory of heat treatment]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1984, 328 p.

4. Lakhtin Iu.M. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metallurgy and heat treatment of metals]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1983, 359 p.

5. Lygdenov B.D., Lygdenov B.D., Butukhanov V.A., Mey Shunchi, Tsyretorov B.Sh. Surface strenthening of hypoeutectoid steel die tooling. Sovremennye naukoemkie tekhnologii [Modern high-tec technologies]. 2014, vol. 4, pp. 76-79.

6. Evdokimov V.D., Klimenko L.P., Evdokimova A.N. Tekhnologiya uprochneniya mashinostroitel'nykh materialov: Uchebnoe posobie-spravochnik [Engineering materials strengthening technique: Manual]. Odessa: NGGU im. Petra Mogily, 2005, 352 p.

7. Kudryashov A.E., Levashov E.A. On the application of elec-trospark doping and SHS electrodes for better die tool durabil-ity. Mezhdunarodnyy tekhnologicheskii forum «Innovatsii. Tekhnologii. Proizvodstvo» [International Technology Forum on Innovations, Technologies & Manufacturing]. Rybinsk, 2015, vol. 2.

8. Ol'khovatskii A.K. Elektrofizicheskie i elektrokhimicheskie metody razmernoy obrabotki pri vosstanovlenii detaley mashin [Electrophysical and electrochemical sizing techniques in parts rebuilding]. Chelyabinsk: VNIITUVID-ChGAU, 1996, 40 p.

9. Fedulov A. P., Mironov V. M. A study in theapplication of electrical discharge machining techniques in rebuilding and strengthening of die tooling. Molodoy uchenyy [Young scientist]. 2015, vol. 12, 1, pp. 86-88.

10. Smirnov M.A., Schastlivtsev V.M., Zhuravlev L.G. Osnovy termicheskoy obrabotki stali [Basics of the heat treatment of steel]. Ekaterinburg: UrO RAN, 1999, 494 p.

11. Gavrilov G.N., Kostromin S.V., Kalinin A.B., Peyganovich V.N., Ermakov D.Iu. Laser technology for better durability of mill rolls. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Current issues of modern science and education], 2013, 4.

12. Ready John F. Industrial Applications of Lasers. San Diego: Academic Press, 1997, vol. 2, 599 p.

13. Ion J.C. Laser processing of engineering materials: Principles, procedure and industrial application. Burlington: Elsevier But-terworth–Heinemann, 2005, 576 p.

14. Thivillon L., Bertrand Ph., Smurov I. Industrial technology of laser assisted direct metal deposition, International Thermal Spraying Conference (ITSC-2008), Maastricht, June 2-4, 2008.

15. Toyserkani E., Khajepour A., Corbin S. Laser cladding. Boca Raton: CRS Pres, 2005, 280 p.

16. Frolov V.A., Peshkov V.V., Kolomensky A.B., Kazakov V.A. Welding: Introduction. Moscow: Intermet Engineering, 2008, 382 p.

17. Grigoriants A.G., Shiganov I.N., Misyurov A.I. Technological processes of laser processing. M.: BMSTU, 2006, 664 p.

18. Thivillon L., Bertrand Ph., Laget B., Smurov I. Potential of direct metal deposition technology for manufacturing thick functionally graded coatings and parts for reactors components. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2, 2009, vol. 385, pp. 236–241.

19. Ion John C. Laser processing of engineering materials: principles, procedure and industrial application. 2005, ELSEVIER, pp. 300-301.

20. www.stellite.com