ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

Today, the progress in aluminium production takes place within strong competition in the global market that demands a continuous increase in the efficiency of the final product. With the steel industry currently going through a crisis, the main vector of development in the aluminium industry in recent years is an increasing share of high value added products. The most popular product in the global aluminium market is aluminium alloys used to produce ingots, rolled products, sections and packing materials which entirely meet the requirements of end consumers. Production of slabs from 1ХХХ series aluminium alloys meant for the foil industry is one of the potential projects realized by the leading Russian aluminium producer OK RUSAL. At the same time the existing production techniques cannot offer stable quality of the internal aluminium slab structure. Heavy 1ХХХ series ingots experience internal defects of an inhomogeneous structure which affects the quality of the foil. The major defects in foil production related to inhomogeneous structure include floating crystals and fan and fir-tree structures. Based on the analysis of technical literature and experimental data acquired in a real-life production environment, the authors offer their recommendations on the best process parameters for heavy 1ХХХ series ingot casting, ensuring the absence of such defects as floating crystals, fan and fir-tree structures.

Keywords

1XXX series aluminum alloys, heavy ingots, structural defects, fan and fir-tree structure, “floating” crystals.

Frolov Viktor Fedorovich – Project Manager of "RUSAL ETC", Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

Belyaev Sergey Vladimirovich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Head of the Department of Foundry Engineering, Siberian Federal University,

Krasnoyarsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Gubanov Ivan Yuryevich – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

Bezrukikh Alexander Innokentevich – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

Costin Igor Vladimirovich – Postgraduate Student, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.

1. Marketing and sales strategy to 2020 y. URL: http://www.rusal.ru/about/strategy/

2. Chukin M.V., Tulupov O.N., Kulkov I.V., Moller A.B. The concept of international industrial cooperation of the BRICS countries: the development of engineering and innovation in the steel industry. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2014, no. 1, pp. 69-72.

3. Chukin M.V., Salganik V.M., Poletskov P.P. et al. Main types and application of nanostructured high-strength sheet prod-ucts. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnich-eskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magni-togorsk State Technical University], 2014, no. 4, pp. 41-44.

4. Chen X.-G. Growth mechanisms of intermetallic phases in DC cast AA1XXX alloys. Essential Readings in Light Metals. Vol-ume 3. Cast Shop for Aluminium Production. 2013, pp. 460-465.

5. Grange D. A. Microstructure control in ingots of aluminium alloys with an emphasis on grain refinement. Essential Read-ings in Light Metals. Volume 3. Cast Shop for Aluminium Pro-duction. 2013, pp. 354-365.

6. Celil A. Ahravct, Mihriban О. Pekguleryiiz Calculation of phase diagrams for the metastable Al-Fe phases forming in direct-chill (dc)-cast aluminium alloy ingots. Alcan-UQAC Chair in Solidification and Metallurgy of Aluminium Department of Applied Sciences, University of Quebec in Chicoutimi. Published by Elsevier Science Ltd. Presented at CALPHAD XXVI, Palm Coast, Florida, USA, May 1997. Calphad, 1998, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 147-155.

7. Sigworth Geoffrey K. Fundamentals of Solidification in Alu-minium Castings. International Journal of Metal casting. 2014, vol. 8, iss. 1, pp. 7-20.

8. Krendelsberger, N, Weitzer, F., Schuster, J.C. On the Reaction Scheme and the Liquidus Surface in the Al-Si-Fe System // Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 2007, vol. 38A, pp. 1681-1691.

9. Aluminium: Properties and Physical Metallurgy - ed. John E. Hatch - American Society for Metals - http://www.asminternational.org - 1984.

10. Napalkov V.I., Crock G.V., Makhov S.V., Chornovil Y.M. Nepreryvnoe litye aliuminievykh splavov: spravochnik [Con-tinuous casting of aluminium alloys: Handbook]. Moscow: In-termet Engineering, 2005, 512 p.

11. Napalkov V.I. Legirovanie i modifitcirovanie aliuminiia i magniia [Doping and modifying of aluminium and magnesium]. Mos-cow: MISiS, 2002, 376 p.