ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

This article provides an overview of the latest scientific research in the field of heavy metals removal from solutions by the ion flotation method.
The objective of the research conducted is to analyse the current development trends of the theory and practice of ion flotation as the basis for clean insdustrial water treatment technologies. The main development trends of the ion flotation method applied to industrial solutions have been determined. These trends are the following: selection of conditions increasing the efficiency of the process up to the maximum possible metal removal; minimum consumption of reagents with the possibility to regenerate them and to obtain the maximum purified water; evaluation of properties of collectors, the "metal-reagent" complex structures, and complexing mechanisms; synthesis and modeling of efficient collectors, especially with advanced quantum-chemical methods. At present, calculations of the molecular electric moments, polarizabilities, charge-transfer degree, absolute hardness, Parr-Pearson chemical potential, complexing energy, and a number of intramolecular hydrogen bondings have a widespread application in the quantum chemistry of flotation reagents. The reason is that these characteristics determine the possibility to use reagents in flotation processes on the basis of the most energetically favourable and conformationally stable removable structures. Theoretical bases have been developed for modeling the spatial structure of both small and large molecules and building dependences of their activity on the spatial structure. The experimental data and the results of quantum chemical calculations have been correlated. The results of a flotation test have proved the attraction of flotation reagents selected on the basis of quantum chemical calculations. Active studies in accordance with the trends mentioned above have introduced sustainable industrial water treatment technologies based on ion flotation.

Keywords

Heavy metals, technological waters, ion flotation, collecting reagents, quantum-chemical methods.

Medyanik Nadezhda Leonidovna – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Head of the Department of Chemistry, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Phone: +7 (3519) 29-85-22. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Tussupbayev Nesipbay Kuandykovich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Head of the Laboratory of Flotation Reagents and Enrichment of the ‘Center of Earth Sciences, Metallurgy and Enrichment’ Joint Stock Company, Almaty, Republic of Kazakhstan.
Varlamova Irina Aleksandrovna – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.  
Girevaya Khanifa Yanshaevna – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.
Kalugina Natalia Leonidovna – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.
  • Boija S. On metal ion chelates and conditional stability constant determination: Method development and selective ion flotation of chelating surfactants. Sundsvall: Mid Sweden University, 2014, 36 p.
  • Christensen A.S., Elstner M., Cui Q. Improving intermolecular interactions in DFTB3 using extended polarization from chemical-potential equalization. J. Chem. Phys., No. 143, 084123 (2015), URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4929335.
  • Ghazy S. E., El-Morsy S. M., Ragab A. H. Ion Flotation of Copper (II) and Lead (II) from Environmental Water Samples. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage., 2008, vol. 12(3), pp. 75-82.
  • Hickey A.L., Rowley Ch.N. Benchmarking Quantum Chemical Methods for the Calculation of Molecular Dipole Moments and Polarizabilities. J. Phys. Chem. A., 2014, vol. 118(20), рр. 3678-3687.
  • Hou S., Bernath P.F. Relationships between dipole moments of diatomic molecules. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2015, no. 17, рр. 4708-4713.
  • Ivanova V., Mitrofanova G. Flotation of eudialyte: correlation of experimental data with the results of quantum-chemical calculations. Proceedings of XVI Balkan Mineral Processing Congress, Belgrade, Serbia, June 17-19, 2015. Vol. 1. Belgrade: Mining Institute: Academy of Engineering Science of Serbia: University of Belgrade, 2015, рр. 347-351.
  • Medyanik N. L., Girevaya H.Y., Shevelin I. Yu., Girevoy T.A., Refining of mineralized process waters by the ionic flotation method. Proceedings of XVI Balkan Mineral Processing Congress, Belgrade, Serbia, June 17-19, 2015. Vol. 1. Belgrade: Mining Institute: Academy of Engineering Science of Serbia: University of Belgrade, 2015, рр. 403-407.
  • Reyes M., Patiño F., Escudero R., Pérez M., Flores M.U., Reyes I.A. Kinetics and Hydrodynamics of Silver Ion Flotation. J. Mex. Chem. Soc., 2012, Vol. 56(4), рр. 408-416.
  • Salmani M. H., Davoodi M., Ehrampoush M.H., Ghaneian M.T., Fallahzadah M.H. Removal of Cadmium (II) from simulated wastewater by ion flotation technique // Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Sciences & Engineering, 2013, 10:16, Available at: http:www.ijehse.com/content/10/1/16//.
  • Soliman M.A., Rashad Gh.M., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. M.R. Кinetics of ion flotation of Co (II)–EDTA complexes from aqueous solutions. Radiochimica Acta, 2015, vol. 103 (9), рр. 643–652.
  • Solozhenkin P.M., Krausz S. Modified fatty acids as flotation reagents for non-sulfide ores: molecular modeling for prognosis of collector activity evaluation. Proceedings of XVI Balkan Mineral Processing Congress, Belgrade, Serbia, June 17-19, 2015. Vol. 1. Belgrade: Mining Institute: Academy of Engineering Science of Serbia: University of Belgrade, 2015, рр. 327-333.
  • Svanedal I., Boija S., Norgren M., and Edlund H. Headgroup Interactions and Ion Flotation Efficiency in Mixtures of a Chelating Surfactant, Different Foaming Agents, and Divalent Metal Ions. Langmuir, 2014, vol. 30 (22), рр. 6331-6338.
  • Tussupbayev N., Мusabekov K., Kudaibergenov S. Macromol. Interaction of synthetic polyam-pholytes with disperse particles. Chem. Phys., 1998, vol. 199, pp.401-408.
  • Yuan X.Z., Meng Y.T., Zeng G.M., Fang Y.Y., Shi J.G. Evaluation of tea-derived biosurfactant on removing heavy metal ions from dilute wastewater by ion flotation. Colloid Surface Physicochem Eng. Aspect, 2008, vol. 317, рр. 256-261.
  • Abryutin D.V., Streltsov K.A. Ion flotation development prospects. Izvestia vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurguia [Bulletin of Higher Educational Institutions. Non-ferrous Metallurgy]. 2013, no. 3, pp. 3-6.
  • Alekseeva A.S., Ksenofontov B.S. Multi-stage model of ion flotation. Universum: Khimia i biologuia: elektron. nauchn. zhurn [Universum: Chemistry and Biology: Electronic Academic Journal]. 2015, no. 6 (14), Available at: http://7universum.com/ru/nature/archive/item/2184 (accessed: 06.09.2015).
  • Bikbaeva G.A., Orekhova N.N., Kulikova E.A. Clinker in an integrated processing technology of industrial effluents of mining and smelting enterprises. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2013, no. 2 (42), pp. 22-25.
  • Chekanova L.G., Radushev A.V., Yelchishcheva Yu.B., Muksinova D.A. Acetone hydrazones – potential collectors for non-ferrous metal ion flotation. Khimicheskaya tekhnologuia [Chemical Technology]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 117-122.
  • Medyanik N.L., Kalugina N.L., Varlamova I.A., Girevaya Kh.Ya., Bodyan L.A. Izuchenie svoistv organicheskikh molekul kvantovo-khimicheskimi metodami [Quantum-chemical methods in the study of properties of organic molecules]. Magnitogorsk, 2013.
  • Medyanik N.L., Bodyan L.A., Varlamova I.A., Girevaya Kh.Ya., Kalugina N.L., Girevoy T.A. Study of the sorption activity of the coal surface. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2015, no. 3, pp. 11–16.
  • Kanarsky A.V., Solozhenkin P.M. Reaction of antimonite with sulfhydryl reagents according to molecular modeling data. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Tsvetnaya metallurguia [Bulletin of Higher Educational Institutions. Non-ferrous Metallurgy]. 2014, no. 4, pp. 9-15.
  • Karlina A.I. Analysis of modern and advanced methods of exposure on natural and sewage waters. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Vestnik of Irkutsk State Technical University]. 2015, no. 5 (100), pp. 146-150.
  • Klimenko T.V. Treatment of sewage waters containing heavy metal ions. Sovremennye nauchnye issledovaniia i innovatsii. [Modern Research and Innovations]. 2013, no. 11, pp. 11.
  • Voronkova O.A., Chekanova L.G., Shcherban M.G., Radushev A.V., Pavlov P.T., Chernova G.V. Complexing and flotation of non-ferrous metal ions from alkali solutions with N-acyl-N-(n-toluenesulfonyl) hydrazines. Zhurnal prikladnoj himii [Applied Chemistry Journal]. 2012, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 2005-2010.
  • Chekanova L.G., Radushev A.V., Nasretdinova T.Yu., Koltashev D.V., Naumov D.Yu. Concentrating of Cu(II), Co(II), Ni(II) ions with N-(2-hydroxyethyl)-alkylamines. Izvestia vuzov. Tsvetnaya metallurguia [Bulletin of Higher Educational Institutions. Non-ferrous Metallurgy]. 2012, no. 1, pp. 10-15.
  • Ksenofontov B.S. Possibilities to intensify removal of metal ions from sewage waters. Bezopasnost zhiznedeyatelnosti [Health and Safety]. 2013, no. 1, pp. 20-23.
  • Ksenofontov B.S., Antonova E.S. Models of flotation and concurrent processes of water treatment. Bezopasnost zhiznedeyatelnosti [Health and Safety]. 2014, no. 10, pp. 42-48.
  • Lesnov A.E., Kudryashova L.G., Rizvanova O.S. OXYPHOS B ion flotation of some polyvalent cations of metals. Izvestiia vuzov. Khimiia i khimicheskaya tekhnologuia [Bulletin of Higher Educational Institutions. Chemistry and Chemical Technology]. 2014, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 40-43.
  • Lesnov A.E., Kudryashova O.S., Birina O.S. Synthamid-5 in metal ions flotation. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Seriya: Khimiya [Vestnik of Perm University. Chemistry series]. 2014, no. 3, pp. 80-85.
  • Medyanik N.L. IR Fourier mass-spectroscopy in the research of products of reaction of ROL-reagent molecules with zinc and copper (II) ions. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2010, no. 4, pp. 20-25.
  • Medyanik N.L., Varlamova I.A, Kalugina N.L. Ion flotation to remove copper and zinc from industrial mine drainage waters. Stal[Steel]. 2014, no. 7, pp. 119-123.
  • Medyanik N.L., Varlamova I.A., Kalugina N.L. Quantum-chemical selection patterns of organic complexing reagents for selective removal of heavy metal cations from solutions. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2013, no. 3 (43), pp. 14-19.
  • Medyanik N.L., Girevaya Kh.Ya. Removal of copper ions from sewage waters with precipitating-reducing reagents. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2007, no 1, pp. 113-114.
  • Medyanik N.L., Shadrunova I.V., Varlamova I.A., Kalugina N.L., Girevaya Kh.Ya. Quantum-chemical evaluation of metal-organic complexes stability. Fundamentalnye issledovaniia[Fundamental Research]. 2015, no. 2-6, pp. 1198-1203.
  • Tussupbayev N.K., Musabekov K.B., Balykbaeva G.T., Zhanbekov H.N., Kusainova Zh.Zh., Muzdybaeva Sh.A. Adsorption treatment of wastewaters containing heavy metal ions. Vestnik Kazakhskogo natsional'nogo universiteta [Vestnik of Kazan National University]. 2003, no. 3, pp. 250-255.
  • Perlova O.V., Chernetskaya V.V., Mokshina. E.G. Azole 1019, grade V reagent as a flotation collector of uranium (VI) and thorium (IV) compounds. Voda: khimiya i ekologuiia [Water: Chemistry and Ecology]. 2014, no. 5, pp. 88-93.
  • Bekturganov N.S., Tusupbaev N.K., Yerzhanova Z.A., Bilyalova S.M., Yesengaziev A.M., Sulakvelidze N.V., Arabaev R.A. Application of new collectors at flotation of gold-bearing ores of the Balazhal field. V sbornike: Progressivnye metody obogashcheniia i kompleksnoi pererabotki prirodnogo i tekhnogennogo mineralnogo syria. Plaksinskie chteniia - 2014: Materialy mezhdunarodnogo soveshchaniia [Progressive methods of enrichment and integrated processing of natural and anthropogenic mineral raw materials. Readings from Plaksin – 2014: International Meeting Records]. Almaty, 2014, pp. 253-255.
  • Tropman E.P., Bekturganov N.S., Tusupbaev N.K., Yerzhanova Z.A., Abdikulova A.O. Application of frothers at polymetallic ore flotation. V sbornike: Progressivnye metody obogashcheniia i kompleksnoi pererabotki prirodnogo i tekhnogennogo mineralnogo syria. Plaksinskie chteniia - 2014: Materialy mezhdunarodnogo soveshchaniia [Progressive methods of enrichment and integrated processing of natural and anthropogenic mineral raw materials. Readings from Plaksin – 2014: International Meeting Records]. Almaty, 2014, pp. 566-569.
  • Solozhenkin P.M. Integrated ore processing on the basis of computer simulation of advanced modified reagents. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii biulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal) [Mining Information-Analytical Bulletin (scientific and technical journal)]. 2015, no. 1, pp. 430-456.
  • Solozhenkin P.M. Molecular modeling of dithiocarbamates and their interaction with matrices of copper minerals and pyrites. Obogashchenie rud [Ore Concentration]. 2014, no. 4 (352), pp. 38-44.
  • Chekanova L.G., Yelchishcheva Yu.B., Pavlov P.T., Voronkova O.A., Botalova E.S., Mokrushin I.G. Physical-chemical and complex-forming properties of n-(2-ethylhexanoyl)-N'-sulfonylhydrazins. Zhurnal obshchei khimii [General Chemistry Journal]. 2015, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 923-928.
  • Chekanova L.G., Manylova K.O., Pavlov P.T., Yelchishcheva Yu.B., Kandakova A.S. Physical-chemical and complex-forming properties of ethyl-2-aryl(alkyl) sulfonylamino-4,5,6,7- tetrahydrobenzothiophene-3- carboxylates. Zhurnalobshcheikhimii[General Chemistry Journal]. 2014, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1025-1029.
  • Filatova E.G. Overview of technologies to treat effluents containing heavy metal ions based on physical-chemical processes. Izvestiya vuzov. Prikladnaya khimiya i biotekhnologuia [Bulletin of Higher Educational Institutions. Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology]. 2015, no. 2 (13), pp. 97-109.
  • Hans-Dieter Höltje, Wolfgang Sippl, Didier Rognan, and Gerd Folkers. Molekulyarnoe modelirovanie: teoriya i praktika. [Molecular Modeling: Basic Principles and Applications]. M.: Binom. Laboratoriya znanii, 2013, 319 p.
  • Tussupbayev N.K., Muzdybaeyva Sh.A., Musabekov K.B., Aidarova S.B. Efficiency of natural sobernts used to remove heavy metal ions from mine drainage waters. Vestnik Kazakhskogo natsional'nogo universiteta. Seriya khimicheskaya [Vestnik of Kazan National University. Chemistry series]. 2003, no. 1, pp. 94-100.