ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

The purpose of this work was to determine the possibility of using chemical reaction heat when roasting substandard copper concentrates.
Dead roasting of rough pellets of copper sulphide concentrate has been studied through differential thermal analysis. The thermograms of the pellets have two distinct thermal effects. The first effect – endothermic – corresponds to the physical removal of moisture. The second peak – exothermic – is due to oxidation of the sulfide mineral component of copper concentrate. We have obtained the apparent activation energy value of 166.280 kJ·mol which indicates limitation of the process by kinetic copper sulfide sulphatisation. The apparent activation energy value was moisture 27.713 kJ·mol. The value corresponds to limitation of the internal diffusion process.
With evaluation of the thermal performance of the calcined process, it has been established that drying heat losses can be almost completely compensated when the copper content in sulfidic concentrate amounts to about 10%, while sulphatizing roasting ensures the complete use of chemical reaction heat for the process, which can be considered at developing an optimal roasting control condition.
Keywords: Pellets, derivatograms, heating rate, characteristic curve.

Karimova Lyutsiya Monirovna – Ph.D. (Chemical), leading research fellow, Innovatsia Limited Partnership, Karaganda, Kazakhstan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Kairalapov Yerlan Tokpaevich– Ph.D. (Eng.), senior research fellow, Innovatsia Limited Partnership, Karaganda, Kazakhstan. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Bukharitsin Valentin Olegovich – senior research fellow, Chemical and Metallurgical Institute named after Zh. Abishev, Karaganda, Kazakhstan.

Karimova L.M., Zhumashev K.Zh., Malyshev V.P., Kayralapov Y.T. Optimization of roasting off-grade copper sulfide concentrates. KIMS, 2011, №.2 (275), pp. 56–67.

Karimova L.M. Sulphatizing roasting of rough copper sulfide concentrates for sulfuric acid leaching. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2014, №.3 (47), pp.15–21.

Sargsyan L.E., Oganesyan A.M. Roasting of sulfide zinc concentrate producing mainly roasted sulfate products for efficient leaching. Tsvetnye metally [Non-ferrous metals]. 2006, №.7, p. 16.

Smirnov V.I., Tikhonov A.I. Obzhig mednykh rud i kontsentratov [Roasting of copper ores and concentrates]. Sverdlovsk, Metallurgizdat, 1958. 280 p.

Buketov E.A., Malyshev V.P. Tekhnologicheskie protsessy shakhtnogo obzhiga v tsvetnoj metallurgii [Shaft roasting processes in non-ferrous metallurgy]. Almaty, Nauka KazSSR, 1973. 350 p.

Dukarsky O.M., Zakurdaev A.G. Statisticheskij analiz i obrabotka dannykh na EHVM «Minsk-22» [Statistical analysis and data processing with "Minsk-22" electronic computing machine]. Moscow: Statistika, 1971. 179 p.

Siskov V.I. Korrelyatsionnyj analiz v ehkonomicheskikh issledovaniyakh [Correlation analysis in economic research]. Moscow: Statistika, 1975. 168 p.

Emmanuel N.M., Knorre D.G. Kurs khimicheskoj kinetiki [Course on chemical kinetics]. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola, 1974. 400 p.

Berg L.G. Vvedenie v termografiyu [Introduction to thermography]. Moscow: Nauka, 1969. 396 p.

Volkov A.I., Zharsky I.M. Bol'shoj khimicheskij spravochnik [Large Handbook of Chemistry]. Minsk: Modern School, 2005. 608 p.