ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download

Abstract

This article analyzes research on alloy white iron castings produced with a required set of mechanical, physical and mechanical and special properties. It is demonstrated that research focuses, as a rule, on development of techniques for controlling formation of a required macro- and microstructure of alloys by choosing an optimal composition, preparing melts for casting into molds (melting, refining, modification, casting temperature, high-temperature treatment of melts), and crystallization speed when forming a primary cast structure and secondary phase recrystallization during heat treatment.

Keywords

White cast irons, alloying complex, cooling rate, modification, refining, temperature time treatment of melts, heat treatment, structure, mechanical properties, wearability, heat resistance.

Kolokoltsev Valery Mikhailovich – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Rector of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical Uni-versity, Russia. Phone: +7 (3519) 29 84 02. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Petrochenko Elena Vasilyevna – D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

1. Zhukov A.A., Silman G.I., Froltsov M.S. Iznosostoykie otlivki iz kompleksno-legirovannykh belykh chugunov [Wear-resistant castings from complex alloyed white cast irons]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1984, 104 p.

2. Bobro Yu.G. Legirovannye chuguny [Alloyed irons]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1976, 288 p.

3. Goldstein Ya.E., Mizin V.G. Inokulirovanie zhelezouglero-distykh splavov [Inoculation of iron-carbon alloys]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1993, 416 p.

4. Ri E.Kh, Ri Khosen, Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. et al. Kompleksno-legirovannye belye chuguny funktsionalnogo naznacheniya v litom i termoobrabotannom sostoyaniyakh [As-cast and heat treated complex alloyed white cast irons of a functional application]. Vladivostok: Dalnauka, 2006, 275 p.

5. Silman G.I. Termodinamika i termokinetika strukturoobrazovaniya v chugunakh i stalyakh [Thermodynamics and thermokinetics of structure formation in irons and steels]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2007, 302 p.

6. Garber M.E. Iznosostoykie belye chuguny: svoystva, struktura, tekhnologiya, ekspluatatsiya [Wear-resistant white irons: properties, structure, technology, operation]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2010, 280 p.

7. Vinogradov V.N., Sorokin G.M., Kolokolnikov M.G. Abrazivnoe iznashivanie [Abrasive wear]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1990, 224 p.

8. Tsypin I.I. Wear-resistant white irons – evolution and prospects. Foundry, 2000, no. 9, pp. 15–16.

9. Kositsina I.I., Sagaradze V.V. Makarov A.V. et al. Effect of the structure on properties of chromium white cast irons. Physical metallurgy and metal heat treatment, 1996, no. 4, pp. 7–10.

10. Petrochenko E.V. An increase in service durability of alloyed white iron castings due to an integrated effect on their structure. Ph.D. dissertation. Magnitogorsk, 2003, 140 p.

11. Bedolla-Jacuinde A., Aguilar S.L., and Hernandez B. Eutectic Modification in a Low-Chromium White Cast Iron by a Mixture of Titanium, Rare Earths, and Bismuth: I. Effect on Microstructure, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 14(2), 2005, pp. 149–157.

12. Neville A., Reza F., Chiovelli S., and Revega T. Characteriza-tion and Corrosion Behavior of High-Chromium White Cast Irons, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 37F, 2006, pp. 2339–2347.

13. Karantzalis A.E., Lekatou A., Kapoglou A., Mavros H., and Dracopoulos V. Phase Transformations and Microstructural Observations During Subcritical Heat Treatments of a High-Chromium Cast Iron, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2012, pp. 1030–1039.

14. Sain P.K., Sharma C.P., and Bhargava A.K. Microstructure Aspects of a Newly Developed, Low Cost, Corrosion-Resistant White Cast Iron, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 44F, 2013, pp. 1665–1671.

15. Yoganandh J., Natarjan S., and Kumaresh S.P. Babu. Erosive Wear Behavior of Nickel-Based High Alloy White Cast Iron Under Mining Conditions Using Orthogonal Array, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 22(9), 2013, pp. 2534–2540.

16. Goldstein Ya.E., Goldstein V.A. Metallurgical aspects of durability improvement of machine parts [Metallurgicheskie aspekty povysheniya dolgovechnosti detaley mashin]. Chelyabinsk: Metall, 1995, 512 p.

17. Trukhin V.V., Pechen P.V., Trukhina E.Yu. Effect of heat treatment on working properties of medium-chromium wear-resistant cast irons. Vestnik of KuzSTI, 2001, no. 5, pp. 31–34.

18. Kosilov A.A., Kruglov A.A., Rebonen V.N. Heat treatment of high-chromium cast irons. Foundry, 2001, no. 6, pp. 13–14.

19. Filipov M.A., Lkhagvadorzh P., Plotnikov G.N. Structural factors of wearability improvement of chromium white cast iron. Physical metallurgy and metal heat treatment, 2000, no. 11, pp. 10–13.

20. Emelyushin A.N. Effect of titanium and boron on wearability of cast iron used for mechanical treatment of non-metallic materials of chromium cast iron tools. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2000, no. 2, pp. 28-29.

21. Ri E.Kh., Ri Khosen, Teikh V.A., Muromtseva E.V. Corrosion resistance and heat resistance of alloyed white cast irons. Foundry, 2000, no. 3, pp. 13–17.

22. Kolokoltsev V.M. Theoretical and technological fundamentals of development of casting wear-resistant Fe-C-element system alloys. D.Sc. dissertation. Magnitogorsk, 1995, 427 p.

23. Petrochenko E.V. Crystallization, formation of the structure and properties of wear-resistant and heat-resistant cast irons in different cooling conditions. D.Sc. dissertation. Magnito-gorsk, 2012, 310 p.

24. Sorokin G.M. Physicometallurgical aspects in an issue on lifetime of machines. Physical metallurgy and metal heat treat-ment, 1990, no. 2, pp. 57–60.

25. Astashkevich B.M. An increase in reliability of railway brake shoes. Foundry, 1995, no. 6, pp. 5–6.

26. Kolokoltsev V.M., Mulyavko N.M., Vdovin K.N., Sinitsky E.V. Abrazivnaya iznosostoykost litykh metallov i splavov [Abrasive wear resistance of cast metals and alloys]. Ed. by Kolokoltsev V.M. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2004, 228 p.

27. Kolokoltsev V.M., Adishchev V.V., Milyukov S.V. Research on wear resistance of cast irons for cast bands of crushing and grinding equipment. Antifriktsionnye i iznosostoykie chuguny [Anti-friction and wear-resistant cast irons: papers of the International Scientific and Technical Conference]. Vinnitsa, 1992, pp. 30–31.

28. Romanov O.M., Kozlov L.Ya., Romanov L.M., Rozhkova E.V. et al. Carbide forming in molten high-chromium irons. Foundry, 1991, no. 6, p. 7.

29. Teykh V.A., Ri Khosen, Litvinenko A.N. et al. High-chromium cast iron deoxidation and refining. Foundry, 1984, no. 8, p. 10.

30. Markin I.S., Vunstein F.Z. Izgotovlenie abrazivostoykikh de-taley iz belykh iznosostoykikh chugunov: Obzornaya infor-matsiya [Manufacturing of abrasion-resistant parts from wear-resistant white cast irons: Survey information]. Moscow: NIIinformtyazhmash, 1972, 42 p.

31. Kolokoltsev V.M., Aksenov V.N., Zabelin N.R. et al. Improve-ment of modes of high-chromium iron melting and heat treatment of such castings. Foundry, 1994, no. 3, pp. 5–6.

32. Baum B.A., Tyagunov G.V., Baryshev E.E. et al. Temperature time treatment of liquid alloys and steel. Steel, 1996, no. 6, pp. 16–20.

33. Karpenko M.I., Marukovich E.I. Iznosostoykie otlivki [Wear-resistant castings]. Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika, 1984, 216 p.

34. Tsypin I.I. Belye iznosostoykie chuguny. Struktura i svoystva [Wear-resistant white cast irons. Structure and properties]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1988, 256 p.

35. Chugun [Cast iron: book of reference]. Ed. by Sherman A.D. and Zhukov A.A. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1991, 576 p.

36. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Voronkov B.N. Kom-pleksno-legirovannye belye iznosostoykie chuguny [Wear-resistant complex alloyed white cast irons]. Chelyabinsk: REKPOL, 2005, 178 p.

37. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Soloviev V.P., Tsybrov S.V. Spetsialnye chuguny. Litie, termicheskaya obrabotka, mekhanicheskie svoystva [Special cast irons. Casting, heat treatment, mechanical properties: a textbook]. Ed. by Kolokoltsev V.M. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2009, 187 p.

38. Kolokoltsev V.M., Shevchenko A.V. Complex alloyed white cast iron refining and modification. Molodezh. Nauka. Budushchee [Youth. Science. Future]. Issue no. 7: collection of student research papers. Ed. by Pykhtunova S.V. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2007, pp. 55–58.

39. Voronkov B.V., Kolokoltsev V.M., Shevchenko A.V. Improve-ment of heat- and wear-resistant cast iron properties by refining and modification. Sovremennaya metallurgiya nachala novogo tysyacheletiya [Modern metallurgy in the beginning of a new millennium: collection of research papers]. Part 1. Li-petsk: LSTU, 2007, pp. 118–125.

40. Kolokoltsev V.M., Shevchenko A.V., Bykov K.V. Special cast iron refining and modification. Liteynye protsessy [Casting processes]. Issue no. 7: interregional collection of research papers. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2008, pp. 98–101.

41. Kolokoltsev V.M., Goltsov A.S., Shevchenko A.V. Improvement of special cast iron properties. Liteynoe proizvodstvo segodnya i zavtra [The foundry of today and tomorrow: proceedings of the 8th All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference]. Saint Petersburg: the Polytechnic University, 2010, pp. 159–162.

42. Kolokoltsev V.M., Goltsov A.S., Shevchenko A.V., Molochkova O.S., Voronkov B.V. Increasing a life time of heat- and wear-resistant cast iron parts. A caster of Russia, 2009, no. 6, pp. 9–12.

43. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Shevchenko A.V., Goltsov A.S. Effect of microalloying and modification on heat- and wear-resistant cast iron properties. Trudy 9-go sezda liteyshchikov Rossii [Proceedings of the 9th convention of Russian casters]. Ufa, 2009, pp. 12–15.

44. Kolokoltsev V.M., Shevchenko A.V. Modification of molten white cast iron by titanium boride. Liteynye protsessy [Casting processes]. Issue no. 9: interregional collection of research papers. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2010, pp. 208–214.

45. Kolokoltsev V.M., Shevchenko A.V., Shatokhin I.M., Goltsov A.S. An increase in service durability of IChKh28N2 iron castings by modification of molten iron with a complex alloy containing titanium and boron. A caster of Russia, 2010, no. 8, pp. 9–12.

46. Kolokoltsev V.M., Shevchenko A.V. An increase in properties of special iron castings by refining and modification of molten iron. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2011, no. 1, pp. 23–29.

47. Petrochenko E.V. A relation between a chemical composition, structure and properties of complex alloyed white cast irons in an as-cast state. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2012, no. 3, pp. 51–55.

48. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Structure Feature and Properties of High-Alloy White Irons. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2013, no. 5 (45), 2013, рр. 5–8.

49. Petrochenko E.V. Effect of a phase composition on wearabil-ity of white iron castings. A caster of Russia, 2002, no. 9, pp. 12–15.

50. Emelyushin A.N., Petrochenko E.V. An increase in durability of die attachments for molding periclase bricks. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2003, no. 3, pp.56–59.

51. Emelyushin A.N., Petrochenko E.V. An increase in the quality and service durability of parts and tools operating in abrasive wear conditions. Shlifabraziv 2003 [Grinding and abrasion: collection of papers of the international scientific and technical conference]. Volzhsky, 2003, pp. 190–192.

52. Petrochenko E.V., Petrochenko O.S., Shekunov E.V., Pet-rochenko T.S. Effect of a chemical composition on the structure and properties of vanadium white cast irons. Materialovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Materials science and metal heat treatment: international collection of research papers]. Magnitogorsk, 2004, pp. 101–103.

53. Petrochenko E.V. Structure and wearability of vanadium irons. Liteynoe proizvodstvo segodnya i zavtra [The foundry of today and tomorrow: abstracts of the international scientific and practical conference]. Saint Petersburg, 2004, pp. 61–65.

54. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Emelyushin A.N., Pota-pov M.G. Formation of the structure and properties of vanadium cast irons during their crystallization. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2005, no. 4, pp. 41–43.

55. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Wear-resistant Fe-C-V alloys. Trudy 7-ogo sezda liteyshchikov [Papers of the 7th convention of casters]. Novosibirsk, 2005, pp. 105–106.

56. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Formation of a carbide phase of white cast irons in different cooling conditions. Materialy III mezhdunarodnoy prakticheskoy konferentsii “Progressivnye liteynye tekhnologii” [Papers of the 3rd International Practical Conference “Advanced casting technologies”]. Moscow, 2005, pp. 76–81.

57. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Molochkov P.A. An integrated effect on the structure of wear-resistant white cast irons to increase service durability of castings. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2004, no. 4, pp. 23–29.

58. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Molochkov P.A. Struc-ture and wear resistance of chromium-vanadium cast irons. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2004, no. 7, pp. 25–28.

59. Petrochenko E.V. A relation between a chemical composition, structure and properties of complex alloyed white cast irons in an as-cast state. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2012, no. 3, pp. 51–55.

60. Petrochenko E.V., Valishina T.S. Effect of a chemical composition, crystallization conditions and heat treatment modes on features of a microstructure, mechanical and special properties of chromium-vanadium cast irons. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2009, no. 2.

61. Petrochenko E.V. An integrated effect of alloying elements and crystallization conditions on the formation of a structure and properties of cast composite iron-carbon alloys. Dinamicheskie i tekhnologicheskie problemy mekhaniki konstruktsii i sploshnykh sred [Dynamic and technological problems of mechanics of structures and continua: abstracts of the 13th International Symposium]. Moscow: MAI, 2007, pp. 212–213.

62. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Formation of a carbide phase of white cast irons in different cooling conditions. Materialy mezhdunarodnoy prakticheskoy konferentsii “Progressivnye liteynye tekhnologii” [Papers of the International Practical Conference “Advanced casting technologies”]. Moscow, 2006, pp. 76–81.

63. Petrochenko E.V. The structure of cast iron-carbon alloys hardened on a compositional level. The 2nd school “Material physics”. Aktualnye problemy fizicheskogo metallovedeniya stalei i splavov: ХVIII Uralskaya shkola metallovedov-termistov [Current problems of material physics of steels and alloys: the 18th Ural school of metallographers and heat treaters]. Tolyatti, 2006, 149 p.

64. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Regularities of the formation of eutectics in complex alloyed white cast irons in different cooling conditions during casting and heat treatment. Aktualnye problemy fizicheskogo metallovedeniya stalei i splavov: ХXI Uralskaya shkola metallovedov-termistov [Current problems of material physics of steels and alloys: the 21st Ural school of metallographers and heat treaters]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2012, 89 p.

65. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Mironov O.A. Effect of a chemical composition on formation of the structure and prop-erties of heat- and wear-resistant cast irons. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2007, no. 3, pp. 44–47.

66. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Mironov O.A., Voronkov B.V. Study of the structure and properties of heat- and wear-resistant cast irons. Trudy VII sezda liteishchikov [Proceedings of the 7th convention of casters]. Vol.1. Novosibirsk, 2005, pp. 105–106.

67. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Mironov O.A., Voronkov B.V., Poletaev V.V., Suleimanov V.M. The structure and properties of heat- and wear-resistant white cast iron. A caster of Russia, 2005, no. 7, pp. 7–10.

68. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Voronkov B.V., Mironov O.A., Sibagatullin S.K. Heat- and wear-resistant cast iron. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2005, no. 3 (11), pp. 35–37.

69. Petrochenko E.V. Study of scale resistance of complex alloyed white cast irons. Materialy vserossiyskoy nauchnoy konferentsii: v 7 chastyakh [Papers of the all-Russian scientific conference: in 7 parts]. Part 2. Novosibirsk: NSTU, 2006, pp. 211–212.

70. Petrochenko E.V., Petrochenko O.S. Study of the structure and properties of complex alloyed cast irons. V1 Uralskaya shkola-seminar metallovedov-molodykh uchenykh [The 6th Ural school-workshop of metallographers and young scientists: collection of research papers]. Ekaterinburg, 2004, 38 p.

71. Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Study of the structure and properties of heat- and wear-resistant cast irons. Materialy 65-oy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [Papers of the 65th scientific and technical conference: collection of reports]. Magnitogorsk, 2007, vol. 1, pp. 37–39.

72. Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Analysis of oxide layers of heat- and wear-resistant cast irons. V1I Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-tekhnicheskaya Uralskaya shkola-seminar metallovedov-molodykh uchenykh [The 7th international science and technical Ural school-workshop of metallographers and young scientists: collection of research papers]. Ekaterinburg: USTU-UPI, 2007, pp. 235–237.

73. Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Survey on compositions of heat- and wear-resistant complex alloyed white cast irons. News of higher educational institutions. Ferrous metallurgy, 2009, no. 8, pp. 31–34.

74. Kolokoltsev V.M., Voronkov B.V., Goltsov A.S., Molochkova O.S. et al. Increasing a life time of heat- and wear-resistant cast iron parts. A caster of Russia, 2009, no. 6, pp. 9–12.

75. Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Development of advanced materials for manufacturing of heat- and wear-resistant cast parts. Materialy XVII mezhdunarodnogo simpoziuma “Dinamicheskie i tekhnologicheskie problemy mekhaniki konstruktsii i sploshnykh sred” im. G.A. Gorshkova [Papers of the 17th Gorshkov international symposium “Dynamic and technological problems of mechanics of structures and continua”]. Yaropolets, 2011, pp. 147–149.

76. Kolokoltsev V.M., Goltsov A.S. Synthesis and introduction of new heat- and wear-resistant cast irons to cast parts of a special application. Sovremennaya metallurgiya nachala novogo tysyacheletiya [Modern metallurgy in the beginning of a new millennium: collection of reports of the 4th international scientific and technical conference]. Part 1. Lipetsk: LSTU, 2007, pp. 85–89.

77. Kolokoltsev V.M., Goltsov A.S., Bryalin M.F. An increase in service properties of castings from heat- and wear-resistant chromium-manganese cast irons. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2007, no. 4 (20), pp. 22–25.

78. Petrochenko E.V., Mironov O.A., Molochkova O.S. Study of the effect of carbide phase parameters on mechanical and special properties of complex alloyed white cast irons. Materialovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Materials science and metal heat treatment: international collection of research papers]. Ed. by Emelyushin A.N. and Petrochenko E.V. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2009, pp. 238–242.

79. Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Increasing properties of heat- and wear-resistant cast irons by additional alloying with niobium. ХХI Uralskaya shkola metallovedov-termistov “Aktualnye problemy fizicheskogo metallovedeniya stalei i splavov” [The 21st Ural school of metallographers and heat treaters “Current problems of material physics of steels and alloys”: collection of research papers]. Magnitogorsk: MSTU, 2012, pp. 261–262.

80. Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Analysis of a relation between a chemical composition, cooling conditions during crystallization and structural features of alloys, an oxidized surface and properties of complex alloyed white cast irons. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2011, no. 4 (36), pp. 50–53.

81. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V., Molochkova O.S. Effect of a chemical composition, cooling conditions during crystallization on a structure and properties of heat- and wear-resistant complex alloyed iron-carbon alloys. Technology of metals, 2013, no. 1, pp. 10–14.

82. Kolokoltsev V.M., Petrochenko E.V. Classification of complex alloyed white cast irons by their structural features. Liteynoe proizvodstvo segodnya i zavtra [The foundry of today and tomorrow: abstracts of the international scientific and practical conference]. Saint Petersburg, 2006, pp. 75–79.

83. Kolokoltsev V.M. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University. History. Development. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2014, no. 1(45), pp. 5–6.