ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-3-130-140

Abstract

Chrome plating is widely used to make the surface of metal parts harder, as well as wear and corrosion resistant. Currently, there exists a number of model approximations for chromium plating using solutions containing both six- and trivalent chromium. It is believed that, even when using hexavalent chromium solutions, quality chromium coatings can only be obtained if trivalent chromium ions are also present, as well as activator ions (sulphate ions, fluo-rides, etc.) and organic components. Chrome plating of titanium parts to be used in aircraft, engine and shipbuilding industries helps enhance the wear and heat resistance of such parts without compromizing any of the advantages offered by this structural material. One can find a rather large amount of experimental data relating to chrome plating of iron, nickel and copper alloys, whereas only limited information is available regarding parts made of titanium. Chrome plating of titanium can be complicated due to the presence of natural protective oxide films on its surface. Of practical interest in this research is the study of the electrochemical behaviour of a titanium electrode in model solutions of six- and trivalent chromium compared with iron and nickel electrodes. The study was carried out in potentiodynamic mode. Two groups of chrome solutions were used: based on trivalent chromium salts (KCr(SO4)2·12H2O, Cr2(SO4)3) and chromium anhydride СrO3. As a result, the current-voltage characteristics of cyclic anode and cathode polarization in the range from –1500 to +1500 mV were obtained. Effects of hexavalent chromium reduction to trivalent chromium on cathode lines and those of partial oxidation of Cr(III)→Cr(VI) on anode lines were established. The titanium electrode was found to be less electrochemically active compared with nickel or iron. This is confirmed by the major cathodic overvoltage of the chromium reduction process.

Keywords

electrolytic chromium plating, titanium, nickel, electrolyte, potential, current density, voltammetry, potentiostatic and potentiodynamic methods, limiting stage, mechanism, polarization

For citation

Gruba O.N., Ardashev D.V. Electrochemical Behaviour of Metal Electrodes in Model Chrome Plating Solutions. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magni-togorsk State Technical University]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 130-140. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-3-130-140

Gruba O.N. South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia

Ardashev D.V. South Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia

1. Scholz F. (Ed) Elektroanaliticheskie metody. Teoriya i praktika [Electroanalytical methods. Theory and Practice]. Moscow: Laboratoriya znaniy, 2010, 326 p. (In Russ.)

2. Plambek J. Elektrokhimicheskie metody analiza. Os-novy teorii i primenenie [Electrochemical analysis. Basic theory and application]. Moscow: Mir, 1985, 496 p. (In Russ.)

3. Zhebentyaev A.I., Zhernosek A.K., Talut I.Ye. El-ektrokhimicheskie metody analiza [Electrochemical analysis]. Vitebsk, 2015, 106 p. (In Russ.)

4. Henze G. Polyarografiya i volʹtamperometriya: te-oreticheskiye osnovy i analiticheskaya praktika [Po-larography and voltammetry: Theoretical foundations and analytical practice]. Moscow: Laboratoriya znaniy, 2008, 284 p. (In Russ.)

5. Noskov A.V., Grishina E.P. Kinetics of Anodic Oxi-dation of Metals in Sulfuric Acid Electrolyte Media in the Conditions of Instability of Electrochemical Reaction Products. Khimiya rastvorov i tekhnologiya zhidkofaznykh materialov. Dostizheniya i perspektivy [Chemistry of solutions and technology of liquid-phase materials. Achievements and prospects], 2006, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 64-71. (In Russ.)

6. Novoselsky I.M., Menglisheva N.R. Voltammetry technique for understanding the multi-stage metal passivation process. Elektrokhimiya [Electrochemis-try], 1981, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1621-1627. (In Russ.)

7. Shluger M.A. Galʹvanicheskie pokrytiya v mashi-nostroenii [Galvanic coatings in mechanical engineer-ing]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1985, 204 p. (In Russ.)

8. Bogorad L.Ya. Khromirovanie [Chrome plating]. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1984, 97 p. (In Russ.)

9. Azhogin F.F., Belenkiy M.A., Gal I.Ye. et al. Gal-vanotekhnika [Electroplating]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1987, 736 p. (In Russ.)

10. Gruba, O.N., Shmidt, I.V., Gorodkova, A.E. Influence of the parameters of galvanomechanical chromium plating on the coating quality and process productivity. Solid State Phenomena, 2018, 284 SSP, pp. 1173-1177.

11. Layner V.I. Zashchitnye pokrytiya metallov [Protec-tive coatings of metals]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1974, 557 p. (In Russ.)

12. Solodkova L.N., Kudryavtsev V.N. Elektroliticheskoe khromirovanie [Electrolytic chrome plating]. Mos-cow: Globus, 2007, 191 p. (In Russ.)

13. Lozano-Morales A., Renz R.P., Fortman J.J., Taylor E.J. Electrically Mediated Process for Functinal and Decorative Trivalent Chromium Electroplating: An Alternative to Hexavalent Chromium. ECS Transac-tions, 2007, vol. 6 (9), pp. 52-61.

14. Smulders V., Simic N., Gomes A.S.O., Mei B., Mul G. Electrochemical formation of Cr(III)-based films on Au electrodes. Electrochemica Acta, 2019, vol. 296, pp. 2115-2121.

15. L. Büker, R. Bottcher, M. Leimbach, T. Hahne, R. Dickbreder, A. Bund. Influence of carboxylic acids on the performance of trivalent chromium electrolytes for the deposition of functional coatings. Electrochemica Acta, 2022, vol. 411, number 140054.

16. Solovieva N.D. Strukturnye prevrashcheniya v obyeme rastvora i ikh vliyanie na protsessy, protekayushchie na mezhfaznoy granitse: avtoreferat dis. ... doktora khimicheskikh nauk [Structural trans-formations in the bulk solution and their effect on in-terfacial processes: Extended abstract of doctoral dis-sertation]. Saratov, 2003, 39 p.

17. Moskvicheva E.V. Resursosberegayushchie protsessy kak osnova ekologicheski chistykh tekhnologiy gal-vanicheskogo khromirovaniya iz vodnykh i nevodnykh sred: avtoreferat dis. ... doktora tekhnicheskikh nauk [Resource-saving processes as a basis for environmentally friendly technologies of chrome electroplating based on the use of aqueous and non-aqueous media: Extended abstract of doctoral dissertation]. Volgograd State Academy for Architecture and Civil Engineering. Moscow, 1998, 52 p.

18. Krasikova V.L., Krasikov A.V. The mechanism of chromium electrodeposition as an instance of the mechanism of induced codeposition of metals. El-ektrokhimiya [Electrochemistry], 2020, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 494-499. (In Russ.)

19. Danilov F.I., Protsenko V.S., Gordienko V.O. Elec-trode processes during electrodeposition of chromi-um–carbon coatings from solutions of Cr(III) salts with additions of carbamide and formic acid. El-ektrokhimiya [Electrochemistry], 2013, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 536-545. (In Russ.)

20. Nevsky O.I., Ratnikov S.V., Kotov V.L., Balmasov A.V. The relationship between the polarization char-acteristics and properties of phase films during chrome plating in fluoride electrolyte. Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya [Chemistry and chemical technology], 2007 vol. 50, iss. 2, pp. 45-47. (In Russ.)