ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-3-5-12

Abstract

Now, complex titanomagnetite ores are one of leading industrial sources of iron and a main type of mineral raw materials used to produce titanium, vanadium and other valuable components. The ores of the Volkovsky deposit are unique in their composition and genetic features. The only similar foreign deposit (Angeles, USA) is not processed. Profitable processing of these ores is possible only if applying a comprehensive approach. The Krasnouralsk concentrating plant of JSC Svyatogor produces an iron concentrate containing valuable components in an amount sufficient for their extraction from titanomagnetite ore of the Volkovsky deposit. The comprehensive processing of the iron concentrate provides for the production of not only iron, but also vanadium and titanium, which are predom-inantly present in the concentrate, by chemical methods. Thus, the research was aimed at studying potential compre-hensive processing of the iron concentrate of titanomagnetite ore. The paper describes a selective separation and concentration of valuable components of the iron concentrate produced during enrichment of titanomagnetite ore from the Volkovsky deposit. It is proposed to use chemical methods of enrichment in view of the peculiarity of the chemical and mineralogical composition of the iron concentrate and the particle size, X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence analyses. The studies revealed that it was possible to selectively separate vanadium from iron and tita-nium by hydrochloric acid leaching of the iron concentrate, releasing into the solution, and concentrate titanium in the cake. The paper demonstrates that it is not feasible to use sulfuric acid solutions for the selective separation of iron, vanadium and titanium due to titanium losses in the solution.

Keywords

iron, vanadium, titanium, titanomagnetite ore, iron concentrate, selective separation, concentration, chemical methods

For citation

Medyanik N.L., Smirnova A.V., Kolyada L.G., Bessonova Yu.A. Comprehensive Processing of an Iron Concentrate of Titanomagnetite Ore by a Selective Separation and Concentration of Iron, Vanadium and Titanium by Chemical Methods. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 5-12. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-3-5-12

Nadezhda L.M. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia

Anastasiya V.S. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia

Lyudmila G.K. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia

Yuliya A.B. Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia

1. Alektorov R.V., Dmitriev A.N., Vitkina G.Yu. Study-ing and improving the technology for processing the currently produced titanomagnetite concentrate of the Gusevogorsk deposit. Fiziko-khimicheskie osnovy metallurgicheskikh processov: Mezhdunarodnaya nauchnaya konferentsiya imeni akademika A.M. Sa-marina [Physics and Chemistry of Metallurgical Pro-cesses: Samarin International Scientific Conference]. Moscow: Baikov Institute of Metallurgy and Materi-als Science of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2019, 65 p. (In Russ.)

2. Buzmakov V.N., Volodina Yu.V. Assessing the effect of a mineral composition of ore bodies of titanomag-netites from the Gusevogorsk deposit on the concen-tration of vanadium in products of their processing. Izvestiya Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo gornogo uni-versiteta [News of Ural State Mining University], 2020, no. 3 (59), pp. 62-68. (In Russ.) DOI: 10.21440/2307-2091-2020-3-62-68

3. Vytoptova A.I., Tikhomirova A.V. Extraction of va-nadium compounds from a processed vanadium catalyst. Khimiya i khimicheskaya tekhnologiya: dostizheniya i perspektivy. Sbornik materialov v vse-rossiyskoy konferentsii [Chemistry and Chemical Technology: Achievement and Prospects. Proceedings of the 5th All-Russian Conference]. Kemerovo: Gor-bachev Kuzbass State Technical University, 2020, pp. 81-85. (In Russ.)

4. Gazaleeva G.I. Development of the titanomagnetite beneficiation technology. Sovremennye tendentsii v oblasti teorii i praktiki dobychi i pererabotki mineralnogo i tekhnogennogo syrya: Materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii, priurochennoy k 90-letiyu so dnya osnovaniya instituta «Uralmekhanobr» [Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Mining and Processing of Mineral and Technology-Related Raw Materials: Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference Dedicated to the 90th Anniversary of the Founding of the Uralmekhanobr Institute]. 2019, pp. 14-18. (In Russ.)

5. Koryukin B.M., Bocharov V.A., Makaranets L.O., Garifulin I.F. Comprehensive beneficiation of copper-apatite-iron-vanadium-containing ores from the Volkovsky deposit. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten [Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin], 1999, no. 3, pp. 115-117. (In Russ.)

6. Maldybaev G.K., Naimanbaev M.A., Lokhova N.G. Influence of the type of acid on the structure of titanium dioxide. Promyshlennost Kazakhstana [Industry of Kazakhstan], 2018, no. 2 (103), pp. 28-31. (In Russ.)

7. Makhotkina E.S., Shubina M.V. Extraction of vanadium by acid leaching of concentrates of titanomagnetite ores of the Urals. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya [Current Problems of Modern Science, Technology and Education], 2019, no. 1, pp. 17-20. (In Russ.)

8. Makhotkina E.S., Shubina M.V., Suchkova A.Ya. Study on schedules of the hydrometallurgical extrac-tion of vanadium from tailings of titanomgnetite ore. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya: tezisy dokladov 76-y mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii [Current Prob-lems of Modern Science, Technology and Education: abstracts of the 76th International Scientific and Technical Conference]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magni-togorsk State Technical University, 2018, pp. 19-20. (In Russ.)

9. Makhotkina E.S., Shubina M.V. Ecological and re-source-saving aspects of using technology-related va-nadium-containing raw materials. Chernaya metal-lurgiya [Ferrous Metallurgy], 2018, no. 3, pp. 81-85. (In Russ.)

10. Medyanik N.L., Smirnova A.V., Gorbulina D.P. Need for analyzing a material composition of titanomagnetite ores from the Volkovsky deposit, when choosing a processing method. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya [Current Problems of Modern Science, Technology and Education], 2021, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 108-110. (In Russ.)

11. Orlov V.V., Medvedev R.O., Amelichkin I.V. Extrac-tion of titanium from titanomagnetite ore. Perspektivy razvitiya fundamentalnykh nauk: Sbornik nauchnykh trudov XV Mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii studentov, aspirantov i molodykh uchenykh [Prospects for the Development of Basic Sciences: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference of Students, Postgraduate Students and Young Scientists]. Tomsk: Tomsk State University, 2018, pp. 234-236. (In Russ.)

12. Smirnova A.V., Medyanik N.L., Gorbulina D.P. Study on potential comprehensive processing of the iron concentrate of titanomagnetite and copper-titanomagnetite ores. Sovremennye dostizheniya universitetskikh nauchnykh shkol: sbornik dokladov natsionalnoy nauchnoy shkoly-konferentsii [Modern achievement of university scientific schools: Collection of reports of the national scientific workshop-conference]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2021, pp. 156-161. (In Russ.)

13. Smirnova A.V., Medyanik N.L., Gorbulina D.P. Fea-tures of processing titanomagnetite and copper-titanomagnetite ores from the Volkovsky deposit of the Middle Urals. Problemy kompleksnoy i ekologicheski bezopasnoy pererabotki prirodnogo i tekhnogennogo mineralnogo syrya (Plaksinskie cht-eniya – 2021) [Problems of integrated and environ-mentally safe processing of natural and technology-related mineral raw materials (Plaksin Readings - 2021)]. Vladikavkaz: North Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (State Technological Univer-sity), 2021, pp. 71-73. (In Russ.)

14. Chizhevskiy V.B., Shavakuleva O.P., Gmyzina N.V. Beneficiation of titanomagnetite ores of the South Urals. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University), 2012, no. 2(38), pp. 5-7. (In Russ.)

15. Sharipov Kh.B., Dzhurakulov I.Kh., Kabutov K. Study on a thermal decomposition of metatitanic ac-id, when producing rutile titanium dioxide. Vestnik Filiala Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta imeni M.V. Lomonosova v gorode Dushanbe [Bulletin of the Dushanbe Branch of Lomonosov Moscow State University], 2019, no. 1, 3 (9, 11), pp. 55-60. (In Russ.)

16. Li R., Liu T., Zhang Y., Huang J., Xu C. Efficient extraction of vanadium from vanadium–titanium magnetite concentrate by potassium salt roasting additives. Minerals, 8 (25), 2-14 (2018).

17. Sachkov V.I., Nefedov R.A., Orlov V.V., Medvedev R.O., Sachkova A.S. Hydrometallurgical processing technology of titanomagnetite ores. Minerals, 8 (1), 2 (2018).