ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-3-90-97

Abstract

The paper describes a method of selecting a machine steel grade using the STEEL software package and database. The author shows the possibilities of using computer technologies to create databases and parameter selection algorithms, when choosing the steel grade. Now, the use of computer technologies for selecting and analyzing properties of engineering materials is the most common method for an optimal search for the required type and grade of machine steel. There are numerous foreign and Russian development results in this area of computer science, but foreign similar projects usually do not provide users with data on properties of materials in the CIS countries, in particular Russia, and most of development results of organizations and research centers in Russia are written in the form of steel grade guides and spreadsheets, preventing from using them fully for an algorithmic selection of materials. Work on creating and writing databases and selection algorithms for steel grades and engineering materials has been carried out at Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University since 1995. Now, the STEEL software package for selecting a machine steel grade has been created and is applied. STEEL software is used by engineering companies and technical universities for engineering, scientific, marketing and educational purposes.

Keywords

Software package, grade selection, machine steel.

For citation

Maltsev I.M. Selection of a Machine Steel Grade by Applying Computer Technologies. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 90–97. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-3-90-97

Ilya M. Maltsev – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor of the Department of Materials Science, Materials Technology and Heat Treatment of Metals, Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Geller Yu.A. et al. Metallovedenie. Metody analiza, laboratornye raboty i zadachi [Metal science. Methods of analysis, laboratory classes and problems]. 6th ed., revised and updated. Moscow: Metallurgy, 1990, 412 p. (In Russ.)

2. Yakovlev V.V., Karpov P.P., Astafiev G.N., Shanchurov S.M. On the choice of a criterion for plasticity of structural materials. Stal [Steel], 1999, no. 9, pp. 69–71. (In Russ.)

3. Zotkin V.E. Methods and criteria for evaluating efficiency of the use of materials. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals], 1985, no. 7, pp. 46–49. (In Russ.)

4. Gulyaev A.P. Selecting a steel grade for machine parts. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals], 1983, no. 1, pp. 54–59. (In Russ.)

5. Tretyakov V.I., Khasyanov M.A., Gornichev A.A. Methodological aspects of the optimal choice of structural materials in computer-aided design systems. Materialovedenie [Materials Science], 1999, no. 5, pp. 13 - 28. (In Russ.)

6. Struve N.E., Shuvalova I.S. An automated system of selecting materials and hardening chemical and heat treatment of gears. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals], 1992, no. 5, pp. 41–43. (In Russ.)

7. Krupin Yu.A., Kudrya A.V., Melnichenko A.S. Computer technologies in metal science. Metallovedenie i termicheskaya obrabotka metallov [Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals], 1999, no. 4, pp. 35 - 39. (In Russ.)

8. Maltsev I.M. A database and algorithms for selecting engineering steels. Vestnik mashinostroeniya [Bulletin of Mechanical Engineering], 1999, no. 7, pp. 17–19. (In Russ.)

9. Maltsev I.M. Programmnyi kompleks vybora marki mashinostroitelnoy stali [The software package for choosing a machine steel grade]. Software registration certificate, no.2009614298, 2009.

10. Sedunov A.N., Maltsev I.M. Software for choosing grades of machine-building steel. Metal Science and Heat Treatment, 2010, 52, pp. 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/S11041-010-9232-7

11. Filippov M.A., Baraz V.R., Gervasiev M.A., Rozenbaum M.M. Metodologiya vybora metallicheskikh splavov i uprochnyayushchikh tekhnologiy v mashinostroenii: uchebnoe posobie [Methodology of choosing metal alloys and hardening technologies in mechanical engineering: teaching aid]. In 2 volumes. Yekaterinburg: UrFU, 2011, vol. 1, 234 p. (In Russ.)

12. Filippov M.A., Baraz V.R., Gervasiev M.A., Rozenbaum M.M. Metodologiya vybora metallicheskikh splavov i uprochnyayushchikh tekhnologiy v mashinostroenii: uchebnoe posobie [Methodology of choosing metal alloys and hardening technologies in mechanical engineering: teaching aid]. In 2 volumes. Vol. 2. Non-ferrous metals and alloys. 2nd ed., rev. Yekaterinburg: UrFU, 2013, vol. 2, 236 p. (In Russ.)

13. Zotkin V.E. Metodologiya vybora materialov i uprochnyayushchikh tekhnologiy v mashinostroenii: uchebnoe posobie [Methodology of choosing materials and hardening technologies in mechanical engineering: teaching aid]. 4th ed., revised and updated. Moscow: FORUM: INFRA-M, 2008, 320 p. (In Russ.)

14. Filippov M.A., Baraz V.R., Gervasiev M.A., Rozenbaum M.M. Metodologiya vybora metallicheskikh splavov i uprochnyayushchikh tekhnologiy v mashinostroenii: uchebnoe posobie [Methodology of choosing metal alloys and hardening technologies in mechanical engineering: teaching aid]. In 2 volumes. Vol. 1. Steel and cast iron. 2nd ed., rev. Yekaterinburg: UrFU, 2013, 232 p. (In Russ.)

15. Maltsev I.M. The relationship between steel fracture complexes and impact strength. Materialovedenie [Materials Science], 2007, no. 6, pp. 10–13. (In Russ.)