ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-3-25-33

Abstract

Relevance and objective of the study: The paper is a review of the existing solutions to one of the urgent problems of foundry, namely the problem of a difficult knocking-out ability of casting cores from castings. Findings: The paper outlines that to the greatest extent the problem of the knocking-out ability is typical for liquid glass core mixtures. A wide range of used organic and inorganic additives is presented. Their main advantages and disadvantages are shown. To a lesser extent, the problem of the core knocking-out ability exists for other types of core mixtures, for example, for phosphate mixtures and mixtures for a cold-box-amin process. The authors made an attempt to determine the main directions taken to solve the problem of the difficult knocking-out ability of cores depending on the mechanism (physical nature) of softening. As a result, the paper proposes five main directions for solving the problem of a core knocking-out ability. Conclusions: The authors of the paper identified two most promising directions in the search for universal softening additives. The first of them is the use of pore-forming substances in the core mixtures. The second direction involves the use of thermal expansion additives. These additives can be used for several types of core mixtures. At the same time, the operating characteristics of the core will remain at a high level. The paper also presents a list of basic requirements for universal softening additives.

Keywords

Core mixture, casting core, liquid glass mixture, difficult knocking-out ability, softening additives.

For citation

Leushin I.O., Koshelev O.S., Maslov K.A., Titov A.V. Assessment of the Use of Softening Additives in the Practice of Manufacturing Casting Cores. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 25–33. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-3-25-33

Igor O. Leushin – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Head of the Department of Metallurgical Technologies and Equipment, Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Oleg S. Koshelev – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering Technological Complexes, Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Konstantin A. Maslov – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Department of Metallurgical Technologies and Equipment, Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Andrey V. Titov– Senior Lecturer, Department of Metallurgical Technologies and Equipment, Alekseev Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Svarika A.A. Formovochnye materialy i smesi: spravochnik [Molding materials and mixtures: a reference book]. Kiev: Tekhnika, 1983, 144 p. (In Russ.)

2. Boldin A.N., Davydov N.I., Zhukovskiy S.S. et al. Liteynye formovochnye materialy. Formovochnye, sterzhnevye smesi i pokrytiya: spravochnik [Foundry molding materials. Molding, core mixtures and coatings: a reference book]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2006, 507 p. (In Russ.)

3. Mikey I.A., Fleytman S.A., Smolkova O.I., Miryuk R.I. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1369848, 1988.

4. Lyass A.M., Kumanin I.B., Valisovskiy I.V. Smesi dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh sterzhney [Casting core mixtures]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 130633, 1960.

5. Rozhkova L.E., Antonov M.M., Pechennikova T.I., Zheldakova L.E., Skobelina Yu.P., Gandyl G.L. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for manufacturing casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1560356, 1990.

6. Kuzmin Yu.D., Ezhov V.L., Sats E.F., Baerbash L.P., Tsivadits E.E., Zilberberg P.I. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for manufacturing casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1659161, 1991.

7. Charles R. Hunt, Denmark Road, Hall Stewart. Process for making cores and molds, articles made thereby and binder compositions therefor. Patent US, no. 3203057, 1965.

8. Jean-Pierre Blanc, Francois Meiller. Novel sand/silicate compositions for foundry molds/cores. Patent US, no. 4233076, 1980.

9. Prozorin S.I., Voskova L.G., Obkhodov I.V., Peshkina T.I., Simkin I.D., Kuzyakin A.I., Sokolova V.A. Svyazuyushchee dlya form i sterzhney liteynogo proizvodstva [Binder for foundry molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 172964, 1965.

10. Sychev I.S. Svyazuyushchee dlya formovochnykh i sterzhnevykh smesey [Binder for molding and core mixtures]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 814548, 1981.

11. Gist William David. Improved core and molding sand mixtures. Patent DE, no. 2059538A1, 1971.

12. Novacek Jaroslav, Turek Miroslav. Sand and core chemically hardened mixture. Patent CS, no. 209992B1, 1982.

13. Doroshenko S.P., Makarevich A.P., Kocheshkov A.S., Borodenko I.P. Samotverdeyushchaya smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Self-hardening mixture for making molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1260100, 1986.

14. Ivanov V.N., Khatskevich A.I., Oleynik V.S., Kashirin V.A. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1678495, 1991.

15. Illarionov I.E., Bagrova N.V., Sveshnikov A.R., Emelyanovich S.M., Korolev G.P. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1662736, 1991.

16. Leushin I.O., Titov A.V., Maslov K.A., Subbotin A.Yu. The problem of knocking-out ability of cores, when producing castings from aluminum alloys, using a cold-box-amin process. Liteynoe proizvodstvo [Foundry], 2020, no. 6, pp. 10–13. (In Russ.)

17. Chernyavskaya M.G., Morozov I.V., Averin E.K. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1380830, 1988.

18. Sychev I.S., Skazhennik V.A., Kiselev V.N., Zhmorshchuk V.I., Limonova A.A. Svyazuyushchaya kompozitsiya dlya formovochnykh i sterzhnevykh smesey [A binder composition for molding and core mixtures]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1770023, 1992.

19. Sychev I.S., Skazhennik V.A., Limonova A.A., Zhmorshchuk V.I. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1704899, 1992.

20. Sychev I.S., Vishnyakov K.I., Skazhennik V.A., Limonova A.A., Konyukh G.D. Razuprochnyayushchaya dobavka dlya zhidkostekolnykh smesey [A softening additive for liquid glass mixtures]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1181774, 1985.

21. Evstigneev A.I., Petrov V.V., Dmitriev E.A., Tyutina E.A. Legkovybivaemaya zhidkostekolnaya smes i sposob ee prigotovleniya [Easily removable liquid glass mixture and method for its preparation]. Patent RF, no. 2298449, 2007.

22. Aleshinskiy V.G., Belyakov B.P., Kaplun V.I., Kiselev V.N., Skazhennik V.A., Furman D.E. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1316741, 1987.

23. Klemchuk L.V., Antipenko V.F., Akartsev Yu.G., Timokhina M.I., Konotopov V.S., Kuznetsov N.I., Shibaeva V.S. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1558551, 1990.

24. Aleshinskiy V.G., Belyakov B.P., Kaplun V.I., Kiselev V.N., Skazhennik V.A., Furman D.E. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1547936, 1990.

25. Belyi A.I., Boguslavskiy A.M., Mezhevykh S.V. Kholodnotverdeyushchaya smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Cold-setting mixture for manufacturing casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1811955, 1993.

26. Kukuy D.M., Ledyan Yu.P., Iode A.E., Odinochko V.F., Chigir S.I., Dudetskiy B.F. Sposob prigotovleniya svyazuyushchego dlya liteynykh form i sterzhney [A method of preparing a binder for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1360876, 1987.

27. Martyuk S.P., Shamarin Yu.E., Sadomskiy A.L., Stetsenko T.K., Glazman A.M. Sposob prigotovleniya modifitsirovannogo zhidkostekolnogo svyazuyushchego dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [A method of preparing a modified liquid glass binder for manufacturing casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1673247, 1991.

28. Linetskiy B.S., Belogub V.S., Kudryashov Yu.V., Lyalikova L.G., Lyakhov O.A., Plechkin I.E., Sharpakov V.S., Melnik Yu.V., Shames G.B. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form [Mixture for manufacturing casting molds]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1685586, 1991.

29. Yakimov V.I., Petrov V.V., Dmitriev E.A., Marin B.N., Panivan V.P., Ivanov Yu.L., Yakimov A.V., Zelinskiy V.V., Suzko N.V. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for manufacturing casting molds and cores]. Patent RF, no. 2292980, 2007.

30. Kovalev V.I., Milochkina D.I., Kassov V.D., Kuznetsov A.A., Turchanin A.G. Smes dlya izgotovleniya liteynykh form i sterzhney [Mixture for casting molds and cores]. Author’s certificate SU, no. 1637934, 1991.