ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-1-16-22

Abstract

Relevance and purpose of the study. The increasingly complicated conditions in which solid mineral deposits are developed define the need to optimize mining equipment and the ways in which it is exploited. When developing complex structure deposits, it sometimes happens that a significant amount of mineral raw materials is dumped together with substandard ores. In the case of many ores, the process of explosive or mechanical loosening results in the concentration of valuable components in ore fines. This is especially typical of ores with sulphide impregnation associated with quartz. Screening substandard ores to separate fines, as well as additional transportation and transfer operations require significant costs. Objectives. The objective is to design a mining excavator that would have the capability to separate concentrated ore fines from substandard ore directly during excavation. At the same time, unloading of concentrated ore fines and the remaining substandard ore should take place simultaneously for better performance. Findings. This paper describes an optimised excavator design, as well as application guidelines for the development of complex structure deposits. The hydraulic mining excavator is equipped with a bucket with screening surfaces located inside the bucket on its front wall and on the drop bottom. There are cavities between the screen stiff-eners that are connected to collectors. The fine material goes through the openings in the screening surfaces into the cavities and then into the collectors. From the collectors it is transported with air flow through pipelines to the preliminary separator of the vacuum unit, where it accumulates and is regularly discharged into a special vehicle. The substandard ore remaining in the bucket is dumped into dump trucks. Conclusions. The use of the bucket of the proposed design with fixed screening surfaces will reduce the excavator cycle time due to combined unloading of ore fines and coarser material. Such bucket can be installed on most hydraulic excavators following minimum retrofitting. Separation of concentrated ore fines from the substandard ore zone of the blasted block will increase the recovery factor and the throughput, which will reduce the mining costs and make the operations more cost-effective.

Keywords

Complex structure deposits, substandard ore, mining excavator, bucket, screening surfaces, vacuum unit, dump truck.

For citation

Cheban A.Yu., Sekisov A.G. Mining Excavator with the Capability to Separate Concentrated Ore Fines. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2020, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 16–22. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2020-18-1-16-22

Anton Yu. Cheban – Lead Researcher

Institute of Mining at the Khabarovsk Federal Research Center, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Khabarovsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Artur G. Sekisov – Principal Researcher

Institute of Mining at the Khabarovsk Federal Research Center, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Khabarovsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Trubetskoy K.N., Rylnikova M.V., Vladimirov D.Ya., Pytalev I.A. Introduction of robotic geotechnologies in open pit mining: Provisions and prospects. Gorny Zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2017, no. 11, pp. 60–64. (In Russ.)

2. Samatova L.A., Shepeta E.D. Combined processing of lean and waste tungsten ores. Gorny informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten [Mining bulletin], 2013, no. S4, pp. 187–199. (In Russ.)

3. Cheban A.Yu. Method and equipment for opencast mining of small steeply dipping deposits. Vestnik Magnitogor-skogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Bulletin of Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 18–23. (In Russ.)

4. Trubetskoy K.N. Solutions to achieve sustainable development in open pit mining. Gorny Zhurnal [Mining Jour-nal], 2018, no. 6, pp. 71–76. (In Russ.)

5. Jarvie-Eggart M.E. Responsible Mining: Case Studies in Managing Social & Environmental Risks in the Developed World. Colorado: Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, 2015. 804 р.

6. Frank U. Multi-perspective enterprise modeling: foundational concepts, prospects and future research challenges. Software & Systems Modeling. 2014, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 941–962.

7. Cheban A.Yu. Production Complex for Open-Cast Mining of Solid Minerals. Gornoe oborudovanie i elektromek-hanika [Mining equipment and electromechanics], 2017, no. 3, pp. 8–11. (In Russ.)

8. Starke L. Breaking New Ground: Mining, Minerals and Sustainable Development. London: IIED, 2016, 480 p.

9. Wirtgen surface mining for selective limestone mining in the North Caucasus. Russia. Zement-Kalk-Gips Int. 2014, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 18–19.

10. Kaplunov D.R., Rylnikova M.V. Kombinirovannaja razrabotka rudnykh mestorozhdenij [Combined development of ore deposits]. Moscow: Gornaja kniga, 2012, 344 p. (In Russ.)

11. Gladyr A.V. Integration of microseismic and geoacoustic monitoring data. Gorny informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten [Mining bulletin], 2017, no. 6, pp. 220–234. (In Russ.)

12. Cheban A.Yu. A method for developing deep open pits using milling machines. Markshejderija i nedropolzovanie [Mine surveying and subsurface use], 2017, no. 4, pp. 23–29. (In Russ.)

13. Adams M. D. Gold Ore Processing: Project Development and Operations. 2nd ed. Amsterdam : Elsevier, 2016, 980 p.

14. Gladyr A.V., Miroshnikov V.I., Konstantinov A.V. Software and hardware improvement for the streltsov ore field geodynamic testing area. e3s web of conferences electronic resource. 2018, р. 02012.

15. Trubetskoy K.N., Shapar A.G. Maloothodnye i resursosberegajushhie tehnologii pri otkrytoj razrabotke mes-torozhdenij: monografiya [Low-waste and resource-saving technologies in open pit mining: monograph]. Moscow: Nedra, 1993, 272 p. (In Russ.)

16. Cheban A.Yu. Technology of open pit mining optimised through the use of surface miners and spreaders. Zapiski gornogo instituta [Journal of Mining Institute], 2015, vol. 214, pp. 23–27. (In Russ.)

17. Sanakulov K.S., Rudnev S.V., Kantsel A.V. On the possibility of using X-ray radiometric technique for the concen-tration of lead-zinc ores of the Uchkulach deposit. Gornyj vestnik Uzbekistana [Mining bulletin of Uzbekistan], 2011, no. 1, pp. 17–20. (In Russ.)

18. Golik V.I. The practice of in-situ leaching of uranium ores. Gorny informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten [Mining bulletin], 2000, no. 5, pp. 50–52. (In Russ.)

19. Khakulov V.A., Krapivskiy E.I., Blaev B.Kh., Shapovalov V.A Building the quality of the Tyrnyauz ores through pre-separation and concentration. Obogashchenie Rud [Benefication of ores], 2018, no. 5, pp. 33–39. (In Russ.)

20. Modig K. Kovsh s proseivajushhim prisposobleniem [Bucket with a screening device]. Patent RF, no. 2042015, 1995. (In Russ.)

21. Cheban A.Yu. Selective development of the Elginsk coal deposit using an excavation and separation complex. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauki o Zemle [Bulletin of Tula State University. Earth scienc-es], 2017, no. 4, pp. 247–254. (In Russ.)

22. Pavlov A.M., Semenov Yu.M. Application of vacuum technology for ore stripping in the cryolitic zone of the Irokinda mine. Gorny informatsionno-analitichesky byulleten [Mining bulletin], 2007, no. 11, pp. 24–29. (In Russ.)