ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement: The paper presents an analysis of the current state of cemented carbide material processing technologies and the comparative technical parameters of various ways of processing, including the method developed at the Department of Non-Ferrous Metallurgy and Automation of Metallurgical Processes, North Caucasian Mining and Metallurgical Institute (State Technological University). Objectives: To identify the most efficient and economical method of processing. Originality: The authors of the paper analyzed a significant amount of patent, scientific and technical information, as well as practical experience of cemented carbide material waste processing technologies, and, taking into account the shortcomings of these methods, developed the processing technology and equipment protected by Russian patents for invention. Findings: The developed technology makes it possible to completely destruct cemented carbide materials faster than all known similar techniques, while consuming minimum electrical energy. Practical Relevance: The use of the technology in this country will reduce economic and raw material dependence on other states, namely China, as a result of multiple waste processing, and also contribute to natural landscape preservation because of multiple recycling.

Keywords

Cemented carbide materials, recycling, destruction, waste processing technologies.

Igor G. Trotsenko – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor of the Department of Non-Ferrous Metallurgy and Automation of Metallurgical Processes

North Caucasian Mining and Metallurgical Institute (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Tatiana E. Gerasimenko – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Head of the Intellectual Property Department

North Caucasian Mining and Metallurgical Institute (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Evgeniy I. Meshkov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor of the Department of Non-Ferrous Metallurgy and Automation of Metallurgical Processes

North Caucasian Mining and Metallurgical Institute (State Technological University), Vladikavkaz, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Burtsev V.M., Vasiliev A.S., Deev O.M. et al. Tekhnologiya mashinostroeniya. V 2-kh tomakh. T.2. Proizvodstvo mashin [Mechanical engineering technology. In 2 volumes. Vol.2. Machine building]. Moscow: Bauman MSTU, 2001, 640 p. (In Russ.)

2. State report “On the state and use of mineral resources of the Russian Federation in 2016 and 2017”. Moscow, 2018. (In Russ.)

3. State report “On the state and use of mineral resources of the Russian Federation in 2015”. Moscow, 2017. (In Russ.)

4. Leading independent price agency Argus [Electronic resource]. Available at: https://www.argusmedia.com/ru/ metals (Accessed: July 24, 2019).

5. Kofman V.N. Proizvodstvo tsvetnykh metallov iz vtorichnogo syrya v Yaponii [Non-ferrous metal production from secondary raw materials in Japan]. Moscow: TsNIITsVETMET, 1986, vol. 5, pp.15–19. (In Russ.)

6. Kozin L.F., Trefilov V.I. Redkometallnaya promyshlennost Ukrainy. Problemy i perspektivy. Preprint [Rare metal industry of Ukraine. Problems and prospects. Preprint]. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Institute of Materials Science Issues, Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Kiev, 1997, 74 p. (In Russ.)

7. Bord N.Yu., Korolevich S.V., Khonyak K.V. New technology for processing wastes of cemented carbide materials and heavy alloys. Instrument [Tool], 1997, no 6, p. 10. (In Russ.)

8. Zelikman A.N., Kasparova T.V., Binder S.I. Preparation of cemented carbide materials from regenerated WC-Co mixtures obtained from lump waste by the zinc method. Tsvetnye metally [Non-ferrous metals], 1993, no. 1, pp. 47–49. (In Russ.)

9. Zharkov D.V., Zykus M.Yu., Medvedev A.S., Fisenkov M.V. Sposob pererabotki kuskovykh otkhodov tverdykh splavov [A method of processing lump waste of cemented carbide materials]. Patent RF, no. 2101375, 1998.

10. Paul G. Barnard, Heine Kenworthy. Reclamation of refractory carbides from carbide materials. Patent US, no. 3595484, 1971.

11. X. Liu, S. Xu, K. Wang. Recycling of WC-Co alloys. Non-Ferrous Metals, 2003, vol. 55, no. 3, pр. 59–61.

12. Dvornik M.I., Ershova T.B. Sposob pererabotki otkhodov tverdogo splava VK8 elektroerozionnym dispergirovaniem [A method of processing wastes of cemented carbide material VK8 by electroerosion dispersion]. Patent RF, no. 2443507, 2012.

13. Trotsenko I.G., Svistunov N.V. Sposob pererabotki kuskovykh otkhodov tverdykh splavov [A method of processing lump wastes of cemented carbide materials]. Patent RF, no. 2276193, 2006.

14. Alkatsev M.I., Guriev V.R. Sposob pererabotki otkhodov tverdykh splavov [A method of processing wastes of cemented carbide materials]. Patent RF, no. 2189402, 2002.

15. Ageev E.V., Semenikhin B.A. Recycling of cemented carbide materials by the electroerosion dispersion method. XV Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya studentov, aspirantov i molodykh uchenykh «Sovremennye tekhnika i tekhnologii» [The 15th International Scientific and Practical Conference of Students, PhD Students and Young Scientists "Modern Machines and Technologies"]. Tomsk, 4–8 May 2009. (In Russ.)

16. Malyshev V.V., Gab A.I. Resource-saving methods for recycling waste tungsten carbide-cobalt cermet and extraction of tungsten from tungsten concentrates. Theoretical Foundations of Chemical Engineering, 2007, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 436–441.

17. Malyshev V.V., Solovyev V.V., Lukashenko T.F. et al. Ecologically-safe and resource-saving methods of processing wastes of tungsten carbide-cobalt alloys and extraction of tungsten from tungsten concentrates. Vestnik KrNU im. M. Ostrogradskogo [Vestnik of Kremenchuk Mykhailo Ostrohradskyi National University], no. 4, 2011 (69), part 1, pp. 155–159. (In Russ.)

18. Kolobov G.A., Panov V.S. New technologies for processing wastes of tungsten and cemented carbide materials. Zaporizhia State Engineering Academy. Metallurgiya [Metallurgy], 2013, no. 1, pp. 65–73. (In Russ.)

19. Pee Jae Hwan, Yun Jin Soon, Cho Woo Seok, Kim Kyung Ja, Seong Nam Eui. Recycling method of tungsten carbide from waste cemented carbide using pressured zinc melt. Patent KR, no. 20120028490, 2012.

20. Xiahou Bin. Method for recycling tungsten carbide and metallic cobalt through waste tungsten-cobalt cemented carbide. Patent CN, no. 106145114, 2016.

21. Trotsenko I.G., Svistunov N.V. Apparat dlya pererabotki otkhodov tverdykh splavov tsinkovym sposobom [A device for processing wastes of cemented carbide materials by the zinc method]. Patent RF, no. 2341571, 2008.

22. Pivovarov M.N., Vlasova A.V. A new method for processing lump wastes of cemented carbide materials. Novaya tekhnologiya [New technology], 2003, no. 1, pp. 89–91. (In Russ.)

23. Panov V.S., Chuvilin A.M., Falkovsky V.A. Tekhnologiya i svoystva spechennykh tverdykh splavov i izdeliy iz nikh [Technology and properties of sintered cemented carbide materials and their products]. Moscow: MISiS, 2004, 463 p. (In Russ.)

24. Bord N.Yu. New technology for processing wastes of cemented carbide materials and heavy alloys. Instrument [Tool], 1996, no. 6, pp. 47–49. (In Russ.)

25. Zelikman A.N., Nikitina L.S. Volfram [Tungsten]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1978, 272 p. (In Russ.)

26. Trotsenko I.G., Gerasimenko N.P. Sposob pererabotki kuskovykh otkhodov tverdykh splavov [A method of processing lump wastes of cemented carbide materials]. Patent RF, no. 2643291, 2018.

27. Trotsenko I. G. Reaktor destruktsii otkhodov tverdykh splavov gazoobraznym tsinkom [Reactor for decomposition of wastes of hard alloys with gaseous zinc]. Patent RF, no. 2581690, 2016.