ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

This paper describes a potentiostatic study of the anodic behaviour of the AlFe5S10 alloy with calcium, strontium and barium conducted in the potentiodynamic mode at a potential sweep rate of 2 mV/s. It is shown that as the concentration of the alkaline-earth metal rises, the free corrosion potential (or, steady state potential) of the AlFe5S10-Ca (Sr, Ba) alloys tends to change in the positive direction. At the same time, influenced by the concentration of chloride ion in the NaCl medium, it tends to move in the negative direction of the coordinate axis. As the concentration of chloride ion in the NaCl electrolyte rises, the pitting and repassivation potentials of the AlFe5S10 alloy with calcium, strontium and barium drop. An increased concentration of the inoculant in the AlFe5S10 alloy leads to higher pitting and repassivation potentials in either medium regardless of the chloride ion concentration. The more calcium, strontium and barium are inoculated, the lower the corrosion current density and, correspondingly, the corrosion rate of the AlFe5S10-Ca (Sr, Ba) alloy get. The chloride ion concentration causes the corrosion current to rise. This dependence is typical of all alloys regardless of their composition or the physical and chemical properties of the inoculant.

Keywords

AlFe5S10 alloy, calcium, strontium, barium, potentiostatic method, electrochemical corrosion, anodic behaviour, corrosion potential, corrosion rate.

Umarali Sh. Yakubov – Postgraduate Student

V.I. Nikitin Institute of Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Izatullo N. Ganiev – DSc (Chemistry), Professor, Head of Laboratory

V.I. Nikitin Institute of Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, Е-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Murodali M. Sangov – Rector

Tajik State Pedagogical University. Е-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Nargis I. Ganieva – Associate Professor

Tajik Technikal University named after academic M.S. Osimi. Е-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Goro N. Corrosion of aluminium and its alloys. Bosekugidayuzu, 1978, pp. 194–202.

2. Luts A.R., Suslina A.A. Alyuminiy i ego splavi [Aluminium and its alloys]. Samara, 2013, 81 p. (In Russ.)

3. Beletsky V.M., Krivov G.A. Alyuminievie splavi (Sostav, svoystva, tekhnologiya, primenenie) [Aluminum alloys (Composition, properties, technology, application)]. Ed. by I.N. Fridlyander. Reference book. Kiev: KOMITEKh, 2005, 365 p. (In Russ.)

4. Menan F., Henaff G. Synergistic action of fatigue and corrosion during crack growth in the 2024 aluminium alloy. Procedia Engineering. Elsevier. 2010, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1441–1450.

5. Azimov Kh.Kh., Ganiev I.N., Amonov I.T., Dzhuraeva M.Sh. A comparative study of the anodic behaviour of the АZh2,18 alloy inoculated with lithium, beryllium and magnesium in NаCl]. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 45–53. (In Russ.)

6. Frolov V.F., Belyaev S.V., Gubanov I.Yu., Bezrukikh A.I., Kostin I.V. Influence of process factors on the formation of structural defects in heavy 1XXX series aluminium alloy ingots. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2016, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 25–31. (In Russ.)

7. Chen X.-G. Growth mechanisms of intermetallic phases in DC cast AA1XXX alloys. Essential Readings in Light Metals. Volume 3. Cast Shop for Aluminum Production. 2013, pp. 460–465.

8. Grange D.A. Microstructure control in ingots of aluminium alloys with an emphasis on grain refinement. Essential Readings in Light Metals. Volume 3. Cast Shop for Aluminum Production. 2013, pp. 354–365.

9. Geoffrey K. Sigworth Fundamentals of Solidification in Aluminum Castings. International Journal of Metalcasting. 2014, vol. 8, iss. 1, pp. 7–20.

10. Mondolfo L.F. Struktura i svoystva alyminievikh splavov [Aluminum alloys : structure and properties]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1979, 639 p. (In Russ.)

11. Umarova T.M., Ganiev I.N. Anodnie splavi alyuminiya s margantsem, zhelezom i redkozemelnymi metallami [Anodic alloys of aluminium with manganese, iron and rare earth metals]. Dushanbe: Donish, 2009, 232 p.

12. Odinaev F.R., Ganiev I.N., Safarov A.G., Yakubov U.Sh. Potentiodynamic study of the AlFe 4.5 alloy doped with lead in NaCl. Obrabotka sploshnykh i sloistykh materialov [Processing of solid and laminated materials], 2016, no. 2 (45), pp. 68–71. (In Russ.)

13. Odinaev F.R., Ganiev I.N., Safarov A.G., Yakubov U.Sh. Steady state potentials and anodic behaviour of the AlFe 4.5 alloy doped with bismuth. Izvestiya SPbGTI(TU) [Bulletin of the Saint Petersburg State Institute of Technology (Technical University)], 2017, no. 38, pp. 8–12. (In Russ.)

14. Ganiev I.N., Yakubov U.Sh., Sangov M.M., Khakimov A.Kh. Anodic behaviour of the AlFe5S10 alloy doped with strontium in NaCl. Vestnik SibGIU [Bulletin of the Siberian State Industrial University], 2017, no. 4 (22), pp. 57–62. (In Russ.)

15. Yakubov U.Sh., Ganiev I.N., Sangov M.M. Electrochemical corrosion of the AlFe5S10 alloy doped with barium in NaCl]. Izvestiya SPbGTI(TU) [Bulletin of the Saint Petersburg State Institute of Technology (Technical University)], 2018, no. 43, pp. 23–27. (In Russ.)

16. Nazarov Sh.A., Ganiev I.N., Norova M.T., Ganieva N.I., Irene Calliari. Potentiodynamic study of the Al+6% Li alloy with yttrium in NaCl. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2016, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 95–100. (In Russ.)

17. Vakhobov A.V., Ganiev I.N. Strontium as an effective inoculant for silumins. Liteynoy proizvodstvo [Foundry production], 2000, no. 5, pp. 28. (In Russ.)

18. Kargapolova T.B., Makhmadulloev Kh.A., Ganiev I.N., Khakdodov M.M. Barium: a new inoculant for silumins. Liteynoy proizvodstvo [Foundry production], 2001, no. 10, pp. 6–9. (In Russ.)