ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

This paper describes a study of residual stress patterns characterizing cold plastic deformation of axisymmetric steel products. The authors propose a technique for calculating residual stresses created in axisymmetric steel pipes during plastic deformation, which accounts for the degree of plastic deformation, the key process parameters, as well as the mechanical properties of the processed material. The energy approach helped the authors determine the residual stresses in axisymmetric workpieces as a function of the key plastic deformation process parameters. Analytical solutions were obtained. The formulas for determining residual stresses include the key process parameters, the mechanical properties of the material and the product dimensions. With the help of the analytical relationships for determining residual stresses, one can predict the operational behaviour of steel products and prevent fractures. Operational stresses and deformations tend to change over time, even under constant loads. The authors analysed the effect of post-deformation relaxation of post-deformation residual stresses on the geometry of finished steel pipes. Knowing the actual residual stresses, one can predict the operational behaviour of steel products and prevent fractures. The importance of the problem of determining residual stresses lies in the fact that they can enhance the performance of steel products but they can also affect it. For theoretical definition of residual stresses, one would need to solve a rather complex thermoelastoplasticity problem, as well as a problem related to the mechanics of solid deformable bodies. One only finds scarce published sources – either domestic or foreign – that would describe such solutions with regard to production processes.

Keywords

Residual stresses, axisymmetric steel products, degree of plastic deformation, stress relaxation, precision of steel pipes.

German L. Kolmogorov – DSc (Eng.), Professor

Perm National Research Polytechnic University, full member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, Perm, Russia.

Elena V. Kuznetsova – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor

Perm National Research Polytechnic University. Perm, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Diana Khabarova – Postgraduate Student

Perm National Research Polytechnic University, Perm, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Sokolov I.A., Uralsky V.I. Ostatochnye napryazheniya i kachestvo metalloproduktsii [Residual stresses and quality of steel products]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1981, 96 p. (In Russ.)

2. Kolmogorov G.L., Kuznetsova E.V., Tiunov V.V. Tekhnologicheskie ostatochnye napryazheniya i ikh vliyanie na dolgovechnost i nadezhnost metalloizdeliy [Production-related residual stresses and their effect on the durability and reliability of steel products]. Perm: Publishing house of PNRPU, 2012, 226 p. (In Russ.)

3. Amenzade Yu.A. Teoriya uprugosti: uchebnik dlya universitetov [Theory of elasticity: Textbook for universities]. 3rd revised edition. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola, 1976. 222 p. (In Russ.)

4. Kolmogorov G.L., Kuznetsova E.V. Residual stresses in metals after forming. Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Metallurgiya [Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Metallurgy], 2016, vol. 16, p. 41–45. (In Russ.)

5. Kolmogorov G.L., Melnikova Т.Е., Kuznetsova E.V. Sposob opredeleniya pokazatelya deformativnosti materiala [Method for determining the stress-strain performance of a material]. Patent RF, no. 2276779, 2009.

6. Kolmogorov G.L., Kuznetsova E.V. On the degree of deformation in axially symmetric deformation. Izvestiya Vuzov. Chernaya metallurgiya [Univercity proceedings. Ferrous metallurgy], 2000, no. 11. (In Russ.)

7. Malinin N.N. Prikladnaya teoriya plastichnosti i polzuchesti [Applied theory of plasticity and creep]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1975. (In Russ.)

8. Kachanov L.M. Fundamentals of the theory of plasticity. N.Y. Conrier Daver Publ, 2004.

9. Yalovoy N.I., Tylkin M.A., Polukhin P.I., Vasiliev D.I. Teplovye protsessy pri obrabotke metallov i splavov davleniem: ucheb. posobie dlya vuzov [Thermal processes in the forming of metals and alloys: Textbook for universities]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola, 1973. (In Russ.)

10. Kolmogorov G.L., Kuznetsova E.V., Khabarova D.V. Residual stresses and ultimate deformability in the drawing of axially symmetric steel parts. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Tekhnicheskie nauki [Proceedings of the Tula State University. Engineering sciences], 2015, No. 10, p. 156–161. (In Russ.)

11. Kolmogorov G.L., Kuznetsova E.V. Sposob opredeleniya ostatochnykh napryazheniy [Method for determining residual stresses]. Patent RF, no. 2344912, 2009.

12. Goldenblat I.I., Kopnov V.A. Kriterii prochnosti i plastichnosti konstruktsionnykh materialov [Structural durability and plasticity criteria]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1968. (In Russ.)

13. Buketkin B.V., Gorbatovsky A.A., Kisenko I.D. et al. Eksperimentalnaya mekhanika [Experimental mechanics]. Ed. by R.K. Vafin, O.S. Naraykin. Moscow: Publishing House of BMSTU, 2004, 136 p. (In Russ.)

14. Radchenko V.P., Saushkin M.N. Polzuchest i relaksatsiya ostatochnykh napryazheniy v uprochnennykh konstruktsiyakh [Creep and relaxation of residual stresses in reinforced structures]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2005, 226 p. ISBN 5-94275-244-3. (In Russ.)

15. Borzdyka А.М., Getsov L.B. Relaksatsiya napryazheniy v metallakh i splavakh [Stress relaxation in metals and alloys]. 2nd revised edition. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1978. 256 p. (In Russ.)