ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): This article proposes an algorithm for determining the force parameters of the process of steel drawing in roller gauges through discretisation of the deformation zone realized with the help of analytical equations used to describe the forming process. The algorithm is described using a case study of the MF trolley wires made of copper and copper alloys per the GOST R 55647-2013 standard in a double set of gauge rollers in one pass from a round billet (Patent No. 2492010). Objectives: The objective is to substantiate a new cost effective drawing technique for shaped sections of the MF type with different cross-sectional areas that uses roller gauges. Methods Applied: A strip method is applied for determining the force parameters of the roller gauges used in the drawing process, which helps make engineering calculations more accurate. Originality: Discretisation of the deformation zones using analytical description of the billet deformed in three- and four-roller gauges, based on single and local coordinate system. This helps improve the accuracy of engineering calculations when analysing drawing force parameters. Findings: The algorithm described in this paper was applied for identifying the process equipment parameters in order to carry out experiments of drawing a 100 mm2 MF trolley wire. Billets of copper and steel were used in the experiments. Practical Relevance: The results of the experiments proved the relevance of the roller gauge drawing process selected for shaped sections. The drawing process that was used to produce MF trolley wires made of copper and copper alloys per the GOST R 55647-2013 standard in a double set of gauge rollers in one pass from a round billet could be recommended for industrial application. The adoption of this process can help cut the labour costs by reducing the number of process passes, enhance the tool durability by replacing sliding friction with rolling friction, and minimise the process energy costs due to a reduced number of passes and a reduced pulling force.

Keywords

Drawing; roller gauge; double set of rollers; discretisation of the deformation zone; local coordinate system; strip method; drawing force parameters.

Vyacheslav S. Slavin – DSc (Eng.), Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aleksandr I. Norets– PhD (Pedagogy), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Yury V. Zhirkin – PhD (Eng.), Professor

1. Slavin V.S., Norets A.I. Sposob volocheniya provoda kontaktnogo iz medi i ee splavov [Method of drawing trolley wires made of copper and copper alloys]. Patent RF, no. 2492010, 2013.

2. Slavin V.S., Norets A.I., Brichko A.G. Kleti-voloki dlya polucheniya kalibrovannogo prokata: monografiya [Drawing dies for gauged bar drawing: monograph]. Magnitogorsk: Magnitogorsk State University, 2012, 180 p. (In Russ.)

3. Slavin V.S., Norets A.I., Isaenkov N.G. Method for defining the deformation zone when drawing MF type trolley wires in roller gauges. Stal [Steel], 2016, no. 10, pp. 45-48. (In Russ.)

4. Tselikov A.I. Osnovy teorii prokatki [Fundamentals of the rolling theory]. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1965, 248 p. (In Russ.)

5. Konovalov Yu.V., Kaplanova E.V. Evolyutsiya teorii raspredeleniya davleniya metalla na valki pri prokatke [Evolution of the pressure distribution theory in steel rolling]. Donetsk: Donetsk National Technical University, 2002. URL (In Russ.)

6. Slavin V.S. Choice of parameters to describe a deformation zone created by a random number of rollers. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2009, no. 4, pp. 34-35. (In Russ.)

7. Zhirkin Yu.V., Mironenkov E.I., Dudorov E.A., Rezvanov S.B. Effect of mineral oil viscosity on the rolling mill work roll bearing temperatures. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2006, no. 1, pp. 58-60. (In Russ.)

8. Dudorov E.A., Zhirkin Yu.V. Retrofitting of bearing assemblies for a longer service life. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2007, no. 4, pp. 94-96. (In Russ.)