ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance): The expansion of the quartz sector is possible due to the development of small quartz veins. One of the main problems that arise in this case is how to justify the development of such small-scale sites from the economical and environmental standpoints. The solution can be the use of the capacities and infrastructure of the existing mining sites provided this type of ores can be delivered to the concentrator plant. At the same time, the priority task is to justify the method of mining to be used for quartz veins. Even that the open-cut method may seem to be the one to be exploited here considering the small depth (up to 100 m) and the amount of reserves (up to 35 thousand tons), the advantages delivered by it can be offset by a relatively large amount of overburden, the need to allocate the corresponding areas of the forest land to accommodate overburden dumps, and, consequently, a significant reduction in economic and environmental efficiency. Using the case study of the vein no. 193 at the Kuznechikhinskoe granular quartz deposit, this paper provides a comprehensive feasibility study of the underground mining of a small deposit containing valuable minerals. Objectives: The objectives of this research were to develop some technical solutions and substantiate the feasibility of mining small quartz veins. Methods Applied: Analytical and experimental studies and a feasibility study have been carried out. Findings: In this application, the underground mining method delivered economic and environmental advantages compared with the open-cut method. The developed underground mining technique ensures feasibility of developing the vein no. 193 at the Kuznechikhinskoe deposit provided a separate site is set up within the existing Kyshtym GOK property. The efficiency of this development is achieved through the use of efficient opening method and scheme, mobile machinery for preparatory and stoping operations, an open stope system with ore drawn through loading drifts, a method of mass breaking by decked charges, and load-haul-dump machinery for rock transportation. Because the open-cut method is not applied, the environmental impact is minimized due to reduced acquisition of land, the preservation of forest lands, the reclamation of waste rock and the use of the tailings pond by the operating concentrator plant. Practical Relevance: The obtained results can be useful in substantiating the growth strategy for the high-grade quartz sector, as well as in exploration and design of underground mines to develop small-scale deposits.

Keywords

Small deposit, granular quartz, opening method and opening scheme, mining system, decked charge.

Igor V. Sokolov – DSc (Eng.)

Institute of Mining at the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7841-5319

Aleksey A. Smirnov – PhD (Eng.)

Institute of Mining at the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8949-1525

Yury G. Antipin – PhD (Eng.)

Institute of Mining at the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3564-0310

Kirill V. Baranovsky – PhD (Eng.)

Institute of Mining at the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2572-166X

Igor V. Nikitin – research fellow

Institute of Mining at the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3593-4319

Artem A. Rozhkov – junior research fellow

Institute of Mining at the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3007-1099

1. Yakovlev V.L. On the development of methodological approaches to the study of subsoil development problems. Problemy nedropolzovaniya [Problems of subsoil use], 2015, no. 2, pp. 5-9. (In Russ.)

2. Kaplunov D.R., Ryl'nikova M.V., Radchenko D.N. Expanding the raw material base of mining enterprises through a complex use of mineral resources. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2013, no. 2, pp. 86-90. (In Russ.)

3. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Yu.G., Sokolov R.I. How recovery impacts the underground mining performance in the case of ore deposits. Izv. vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian universities. Mining Journal], 2012, no. 3, pp. 4-11. (In Russ.)

4. Kalmykov V.N., Gogotin A.A., Ivashov A.N. Economic and mathematical modeling of the processes involved in underground mining of a cluster. Gornyy zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2015, no. 12, pp. 37-41. (In Russ.)

5. Gavrishev S.E., Zalyadnov V.Yu., Pytalev I.A. et al. Estimating the value of man-made georesources. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2010, no. 2, pp. 5-8. (In Russ.)

6. Ben-Awuah E., Richter O., Elkington T., Pourrahimian Y. Strategic mining options optimization: Open pit mining, underground mining or both. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology. 2016, vol. 26, iss., 6. pp. 1065–1071.

7. Kaplunov D.R., Radchenko D.N. Design principles and selection of mining techniques to ensure sustainable development of underground mines. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2017, no. 11, pp. 52-59. (In Russ.)

8. Roslavtseva Yu.G., Fedorko V.P. Substantiating the scope of open-cast mining operations to develop small-scale deposits. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Irkutsk State Technical University], 2012, no. 10, pp. 84-88. (In Russ.)

9. Sabyanin G.V. Ecological aspects of mining operations when developing vein deposits. Ekologiya promyshlennogo proizvodstva [Industrial Ecology], 2011, no. 1, pp. 11-15. (In Russ.)

10. Antoninova N.Yu., Slavikovskaya Yu.O., Shubina L.A. Analysis of geo-ecological risks posed by resumed exploitation of deposits. Problemy nedropol'zovaniya [Problems of subsoil use], 2014, no. 3, pp. 197-205. (In Russ.)

11. Marschalko M., Yilmaz I., Bednárik M., Kubečka K. Influence of underground mining activities on the slope deformation genesis: Doubrava Vrchovec, Doubrava Ujala and Staric case studies from Czech Republic. Engineering Geology. 2012, vol. 147, pp. 37-51.

12. Petrov I.M. Development trends at the global and Russian markets of enriched nonmetallic minerals. Mineral'nye resursy Rossii. Ekonomika i upravlenie [Mineral Resources of Russia. Economics and Management], 2010, no. 6, pp. 68-71. (In Russ.)

13. Erzurumlu S.S., Erzurumlu Y.O. Sustainable mining development with community using design thinking and multi-criteria decision analysis. Resources Policy. 2015, vol. 46, pp. 6-14.

14. Krasilnikov P.A. Quartz veins of the Kuznechikhinskoe granular quartz deposit. Razvedka i ohrana nedr [Exploration and conservation of mineral resources], 1999, no. 3, pp. 11-15. (In Russ.)

15. Quartz: Deposits, Mineralogy and Analytics. Götze J.; Möckel R. (Eds.). 2012, XVI, 360 p.

16. Kravets B.N., Kuzmin V.G. On the state of production of high-purity quartz concentrates in the Urals. Problems and prospects. Izv. vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian universities. Mining Journal], 2011, no. 4, pp. 15-19. (In Russ.)

17. King B., Goycoolea M., Newman A. Optimizing the open pit-to-underground mining transition. European Journal of Operational Research. 2017, vol. 257, iss. 1, pp. 297–309.

18. Rylnikova M.V., Angelov V.A., Turkin I.S. Substantiating the process and equipment for disposal of current concentration tailings in the mined-out underground space. Gornyi informacionno-analiticheskiy byulleten' (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining bulletin], 2014, no. 9, pp. 62-69. (In Russ.)

19. Rylnikova M.V., Radchenko D.N. Design of combined full-cycle geotechnologies for the development of deposits while setting up flow management systems to control natural and man-made raw materials. Problemy nedropol'zovaniya [Problems of subsoil use], 2014, no. 3, pp. 105-113. (In Russ.)

20. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Yu.G., Rozhkov A.A. Fizicheskoe modelirovanie vzryvnoy otboyki vysokocennogo kvarca [Physical modeling of blasting in high-grade quartz mining]. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, no. 1, pp. 4–9. doi:10.18503/1995-2732-2017-15-1-4-9. (In Russ.)

21. Kalmykov V.N., Pergament V.Kh., Neugomonov S.S. Design of deep-hole blasting process to break fractured ores when solid stowing systems are used. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2009, no. 1, pp. 22-24. (In Russ.)

22. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Antipin Yu.G., Baranovsky K.V., Rozhkov A.A. Resource-saving technology for underground mining of high-value quartz in Kyshtym. Journal of Mining Science. 2015, v. 51, no. 6, pp. 1191-1202.

23. Mineralurgiya zhil'nogo kvarca [Minerallurgy of vein quartz]. Ed. by V.G. Kuzmin, B.N. Kravets. Moscow: Nedra, 1990, 294 p. (In Russ.)

24. Sokolov I.V., Smirnov A.A., Rozhkov A.A. The use of decked charges to break quartz in underground mining. Gornyy informacionno-analiticheskiy byulleten' (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining bulletin], 2017, no. 10, pp. 178-185. (In Russ.)

25. Smirnov A.A., Sokolov I.V., Baranovskiy K.V., Rozhkov A.A., Kachalov I.V. Sposob massovoy otboyki skal'nyh rud [Method of mass breaking of rock ores]. Patent RF, no. 2645048, 2018.

26. Shevkun E.B., Leshchinsky A.V. The use of expanded polystyrene for decked charges. Gornyy informacionno-analiticheskiy byulleten' (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining bulletin], 2006, no. 5, pp. 116-123. (In Russ.)

27. Shemyakin V.S., Skopov S.V., Mankovsky R.V., Krasilnikov P.A., Mamonov R.S. Preconcentration of raw quartz. Izv. vuzov. Gornyy zhurnal [Proceedings of Russian universities. Mining Journal], 2016, no. 8, pp. 74-79. (In Russ.)

28. Sokolov I.V., Baranovskiy K.V. How to choose an efficient technology for the underground development of a quartz deposit. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2016, no. 2, pp. 10-17. (In Russ.)

29. Sokolov I.V., Gobov N.V., Solomein Yu.M., Nikitin I.V. A technique for identifying and optimizing the ecologically balanced underground geotechnology to develop iron ore deposits. Gornyi informacionno-analiticheskiy byulleten' (nauchno-tekhnicheskiy zhurnal) [Mining bulletin], 2016, no. 8, pp. 379-390. (In Russ.)