ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

Abstract

Relevance: This article examines an important problem of the surface layer structure in fine cold-drawn wire and of how it forms as the strain changes with the changing diameter of the wire. The study was performed using electron microscopy. Objectives: This research aims to look at the surface layer microstructure in 5.5mm wire rod and 4.2-0.933 mm wire and define the patterns of the forming microstructure. The authors also aim to determine how the structure forming process can be controlled across the wire section to ensure the best combination of mechanical and performance properties. Methods Applied: The following materials were used for the purposes of the study: 5.5mm wire rod, 4.2mm wire and fine brass plated wire of the following diameters: 1.75mm; 1.73mm; 1.574mm; 1.325mm; 1.113mm; 0.933mm. All the materials are of the commercial steel grade 70. The study was conducted with the help of the transmission and scanning electron microscopy (TEM and SEM) equipment and a microhardness tester made in Japan. Findings: As a result of the study, a number of sub-surface areas were identified with a presumably turbulent structure, which can be attributed to the shear stresses present in those areas. Such shear stresses, together with the principal shear stresses, form an additional rotational deformation mode. The authors were able to determine the occurrence depth and the radius of such abnormal areas. The authors demonstrate that as the cold strain increases, both the material and the surface areas become harder. This trend is confirmed by how the microhardness changes depending on the degree of strain during a drawing operation. Thus, at lower strains an inconsistent microhardness distribution can be observed in the radial direction. However, as the strain increases, there is clearly observed a microhardness pattern with microhardness being the highest in the surface areas with the abnormal structure. This can be explained by the fact that when in fine wire drawing the strain rate tends to be higher at the surface than in the wire. As the strain rate rises, the hardness growth rate becomes more intense. The authors looked at how the dislocation structure changes under strain. The structural patterns of the pearlite colonies in high-carbon steel were identified. The knowledge gained can be used to determine maximum deformability of wire rod and wire in a drawing operation while also defining a combination of structural and qualitative characteristics of the fine wire.

Keywords

Cold strain, fine wire, shear strain, perturbed surface areas, strength, microhardness, dislocation structure, SEM, TEM.

Aleksandr B. Sychkov – D.Sc. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0886-1601

Aleksey Yu. Stolyarov – Ph.D. (Eng.), Chief Process Engineer

Spetsialnye Tekhnologii LLC, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Gyuzel’ Ya. Kamalova – Postgraduate Student

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Yuliya Yu. Efimova – Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Lada Yu. Egorova – Ph.D. (Eng.), Senior Research Fellow at the Institute

Metal Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Aleksandr E. Gulin – Ph.D. (Eng.), Senior Lecturer

Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Angelina A. Stepanova – Ph.D. (Eng.), Lead Development Engineer

Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works PJSC, Science and Technology Centre, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

1. Perlin I.L., Ermanok M.Z. The theory of drawing. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1971, 448 p. (In Russ.)

2. Fridman Ya.B. Mechanical properties of metals. Part 2. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1974, 368 p. (In Russ.)

3. Kulesha V.A. Production of flywire. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 1999, 114 p. (In Russ.)

4. Terskikh S.A., Pokachalov V.V., Terskikh D.S. Manufacturing reinforcing wire out of sorbitized wire rod allowing for the scale effect. Obrabotka sploshnykh i sloistykh materialov [Treatment of solid and composite materials: University research papers]. Ed. by prof. M.V. Chukin. Magnitogorsk: NMSTU, 2008, pp. 68–73. (In Russ.)

5. Kazuki Hosoda, Motoo Asakawa, Satoshi Kajino, Y. Maeda Effect of die semi-angle and multi-pass drawing on additional shear layer. Wire Journal. 2008, November, pp. 68–73.

6. Stolyarov A.Yu., Kharitonov V.A. Determining the depth of the additional shear strain layer when drawing fine wire. Stal’ [Steel]. 2012, no. 12, pp. 45–47. (In Russ.)

7. Griffiths BJ. Mechanisms of White Layer Generation With Reference to Machining and Deformation Processes. Transactions of the ASME. 1987, 530. vol. 109, pp. 525–530.

8. Panin V.E., Kolubaev A.V., Slosman A.I. et al. Wear in friction pairs as a problem of physical mesomechanics. Fizicheskaya mezomekhanika [Physical mesomechanics]. 2000, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 67–74.

9. Tarasov S.Yu., Rubtsov V.E. Shear instability in the subsurface layer caused by friction. Fizika tverdogo tela [Solid-State Physics]. 2011, vol. 53, iss. 2, pp. 336–340. (In Russ.)

10. Kolubaev А., Tarasov S., Sizova O., Kolubaev E. Scale-dependent subsurface deformation of metallic materials in sliding. Mezhdunarodnaya tribologiya [Tribology International]. 2010, vol. 43. pp. 695–699.

11. Goldstein R.V., Alexandrov S.E. An approach to predicting the microstructure of the material in the vicinity of frictional interfaces under developed plastic strain conditions. Fizicheskaya mezomekhanika [Physical mesomechanics]. 2014, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 15–20. (In Russ.)

12. Alexandrov S., Mustafa Y. Singular solutions in viscoplasticity under plane strain conditions. Meccanica. 2013, vol. 48, pp. 2203–2208.

13. Alexandrov S., Jeng Yeau-Ren, Hwang Yeong-Maw. Generation of a Fine Grain Layer in the Vicinity of Frictional Interfaces in Direct Extrusion of AZ31 Alloy. Transactions of the ASME. 2015, vol. 137 (Oct), pp. 121003-1-9.

14. Alexandrov S. Kuo S.Y., Jeng Y.R. A numerical method for determining the strain rate intensity factor under plane strain conditions. Continuum Mech. Thermodyn. 2016, 28, pp. 977–992.

15. Sanabria V., Mueller S., Reimers W. Microstructure Evolution of Friction Boundary Layer During Extrusion of AA 6060. 2014, Procedia Eng, 81 (2014), pp. 586–591.

16. Starov R.V., Parusov V.V., Nesterenko A.M., Sychkov A.B., Derevyanchenko I.V., Kutakov A.V. Developing a process for the production of steel free from non-metallic inclusions using the complex ‘Arc Furnace - Ladle Furnace - Billet Caster’. Steel production in the 21st century. Forecast, processes, technology, environment. Kiev-Dneprodzerzhinsk, 2000, pp. 167–168.

17. Starov R.V., Derevyanchenko I.V., Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Zhukova S.Yu., Togobitskaya D.N. Changing chemical composition of non-metallic inclusions at all stages of steel production. Stal’ [Steel]. 2005, no. 1, pp. 79–82. (In Russ.)

18. Gubenko S.I. Transformation of non-metallic inclusions in steel. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1991, 225 p. (In Russ.)

19. Gubenko S.I. The physics of the steel destruction in the vicinity of nonmetallic inclusions. Dnepropetrovsk: National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine. Systemnye Tekhnologii Information Centre, 2014, 301 p.

20. Sychkov A.B., Stolyarov A.Yu., Malashkin S.O., Kamalova G.Ya. Structurization in the surface layer of deformed metals. Aktualnye problemy sovremennoy nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya. Materialy 74 MNTK. T. 1 [Important problems of modern science, technology and education. Proceedings of the 74th International Science and Technology Conference. Vol. 1]. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of NMSTU, 2016, pp. 109–112. (In Russ.)

21. Sychkov A.B., Stolyarov A.Yu., Kamalova G.Ya., Efimova Yu.Yu., Gulin A.E., Selivanov V.N. Structure formation in thin wires. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 75–84. https://doi.org/10.18503/ 1995-2732-2017-15-2-75-84. (In Russ.)

22. Parusov V.V., Sychkov A.B., Parusov E.V. Teoreticheskie i tekhnologicheskie osnovy proizvodstva vysokoeffektivnykh vidov katanki [The theoretical and technological basis of the production of high-effeciency wire rods]. Dnepropetrovsk: ART-PRESS, 2012, 376 p.

23. Sychkov A.B., Zhigarev M.A., Stolyarov A.Yu., Sheksheev M.A., Zhukova S.Yu., Malashkin S.O. Metallurgicheskie i metallovedcheskie aspekty proizvodstva vysokouglerodistoy katanki [Metallurgical and physicometallurgical aspects of the production of high-carbon wire rod]. Magnitogorsk: Publishing House of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2014, 257 p. (In Russ.)

24. ISO 14577. Metallic materials. Determination of hardness and other parameters of materials using indentors. (In Russ.)

25. Tushinsky L.I., Bataev A.A., Tikhomirova L.B. The pearlite structure and the structural strength of steel. Novosibirsk: Nauka. Siberian Publishing Company, 1993, 280 p. (In Russ.)