ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-4-5-14

Abstract

Problem Statement (Relevance). The paper considers the dependence between stability and efficiency of exploitation of deep pits and a relevant selection of mining technology and facilities. When the pit becomes deeper, minerals transportation conditions are characterized as more complicated, entailing a longer conveying distance, greater rock mass hoisting height and lower performance of production equipment. The paper analyzes the existing designs of hoists and inclined conveyors. It contains a logical rationale for applying the classic brachistochrone problem to simplify a description of conveyance movement. The paper shows one of promising solutions to improve open pit transport with conveyances, moving along guidance rails. The descending route is approximated to the brachistochrone, namely a curve of fastest descent. The authors of the paper present the analytical dependence to determine main characteristics of the conveyance descending in open pit mining. The data are used to design a mathematical model of the descending route, as they prove an optimum profile of the route for conveyances. Objective: To show advantages of applying the brachistochrone in conveyance descending to deliver auxiliary materials to zones of open pit mining. Methods Applied. The applied integrated approach is used to solve the issues. Its application in the research implies functioning of scientific analysis methods, compiling data from the published studies, analytical dependence and a system analysis. Practical Relevance. This approach may be used to offset a negative effect of an increased depth of mining on economic performance of the mining plant, when operating deep pits. Mining and conveyor systems of pits are modernized and revamped by introducing promising means of delivery of auxiliary materials adapted to the maximum to the existing infrastructure in the pit.

Keywords

brachistochrone, pit, open pit mining, conveyance, conveyor, transport, hoist

For citation

Velikanov V.S., Dyorina N.V., Kocherzhinskaya Yu.V., Mamay N.V., Logunova T.V. The Brachistochrone Prob-lem Applied in the Study on a Conveyance Descending Trajectory in Open Pit Mining. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical Uni-versity]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 5-14. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-4-5-14

Vladimir S. Velikanov – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia. Ural State Mining University, Yekaterinburg, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-5581-2733

Natalja V. Dyorina – PhD (Philology), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: nataljapidckaluck@yandex. ORCID 0000-0002-0613-0864

Yuliya V. Kocherzhinskaya – PhD (Eng.), Associate Professor, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID 0000-0001-5779-2588

Nikita V. Mamay – student, Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia.

Tatiana V. Logunova – master degree student, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

1. Galkin V.I., Sheshko E.E. Problems of improving transport systems in the mining industry in Russia. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten [Min-ing Information and Analytical Bulletin], 2011, no. 1, pp. 485-507. (In Russ.)

2. Mulukhov K.K., Beslekoeva Z.N. Retrofitting of steep angle conveyor hoist for coarse cargo in deep open pit mines. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal) [Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Journal)], 2018, no. 4, pp. 179-188. (In Russ.)

3. Yakovlev V.L., Tyulkin V.P., Karmaev G.D. Tech-nological aspects of the use of steeply inclined con-veyors in the mining industry. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten [Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin]. Moscow: Moscow State Mining University-Moscow Mining Institute, 2002, pp. 211-217. (In Russ.)

4. Karmaev G.D., Glebov A.V. Vybor gornotran-sportnogo oborudovaniya tsiklichno-potochnoy tekhnologii karerov [The choice of mining and transport equipment for cyclic-and-continuous tech-nology of open pits]. Yekaterinburg: Mining Institute of the Ural Branch, the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2012, 296 p. (In Russ.)

5. Mulukhov K.K., Beslekoeva Z.N. Design and calcula-tion of a steeply inclined wheel-belt conveyor for large-sized cargo and deep pits. Gornyi informatsion-no-analiticheskii byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal) [Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Journal)], 2012, no. 5, pp. 253-258. (In Russ.)

6. Sheshko O.E. Ecological and economic comparison of the use of diesel trolley cars and cyclic-and-continuous technology in deep pits. Nauchnyi vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo gornogo universiteta [Scientific Bulletin of Moscow State Mining University], 2013, no. 5, pp. 108-116. (In Russ.)

7. Sisin A.G., Belobrov V.I., Fainblit M.A., Akishev A.N. Efficiency of automobile cage hoists ANK-120 in deep pits. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 1995, no. 6. (In Russ.)

8. Kuleshov A.A., Tarasov Yu.D. Self-driven open pit automobile hoist. Izvestiya vuzov. Gornyi zhurnal [News of Higher Education Institutions. Mining Jour-nal], 2001, no. 1, pp. 53-56. (In Russ.)

9. Vavilovsky V.I., Nazarenko I.S., Sorokin A.A., Yastrebov S.S., Karpov M.N., Vavilovsky V.V., Bog-danov Yu.V. Shakhtnyi mnogokanatnyi podemnik [Mine multi-rope hoist]. Author’s certificate of the Russian Federation, no. 839967, 1981.

10. Werre Klaus, Wolpers Franz M., Papagewski Detlef, Raaz Viktor. Krutonaklonnaya konveiernaya ustanovka dlya otkrytoi gornoi vyrabotki [Steep conveying installation for open-cast mining]. Patent RU, no. 2636634, 2017.

11. Makeev A.Yu., Komissarov A.P. Ustroistvo dlya transportirovaniya gruzov [Device for cargo han-dling]. Patent RU, no. 2069637, 1995.

12. Gogotin A.A., Kalmykov V.N., Gavrishev S.E., Bur-mistrov K.V. Karernoe podemnoe ustroistvo [Open pit hoist]. Utility model patent RU, no. 186195, 2019.

13. Gavrishev S.E., Burmistrov K.V., Kornilov S.N., Tomilina N.G. Rationale for process flow charts of rock mass transportation using pit hoists in open pit and underground mining. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 2016, no. 5 (2226), pp. 41-47. (In Russ.)

14. Gavrishev S.E., Burmistrov K.V., Kidyaev V.A., Tomilina N.G. Rationale for using steeply inclined conveyors in a pit, when applying a combined method of deposit development. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal) [Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin (Scientific and Technical Journal)], 2012, no. 6, pp. 165-172. (In Russ.)

15. Greinacher J., Barchet K., Dobert M. Design and in-stallation of a vertical conveyor at the White County mine. Glueckauf, 2004, 2(3), 16-23.

16. Galkin V.I., Dmitriev V.G. Tubular conveyors for the mining industry. Gornoe oborudovanie i elektromek-hanika [Mining Equipment and Electromechanics], 2009, no. 1, pp. 39-46. (In Russ.)

17. Nikolaev E.D. et al. Design analysis of steeply inclined conveyors for quarries. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 1998, no. 11-12, pp. 62-25. (In Russ.)

18. Kartavyi A.N. Steeply inclined belt conveyors for the mining industry. Gornoe oborudovaniye i el-ektromekhanika [Mining Equipment and Electrome-chanics], 2006, no. 10, pp. 22-26. (In Russ.)

19. Kartavyi A.N. Problems of applying various types of steeply inclined belt conveyors. Tyazheloe mash-inostroenie [Heavy Engineering], 2007, no. 3, pp. 31-34. (In Russ.)

20. Sheshko E.E. Problemy krutonaklonnykh lentochnykh konveyerov s prizhimnoy lentoy [Problems of steeply inclined belt conveyors with a pressure belt]. Mining Machines: Collection of papers. Special issue of Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin No. 8. Moscow: Books on mining, 2008, 384 p. (In Russ.)

21. Kartavyi A.N. Prospects for the use of steeply inclined conveyors with a pressure belt in cyclic-and-continuous technology. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Jour-nal], 2003, no. 6, pp. 52-56. (In Russ.)

22. Nikolaev E.D., Nazarov A.V. New technology for the development of deep pits using modernized steeply inclined conveyors. Nedropolzovanie XXI vek [Sub-surface use in the 21st century], 2010, no. 2, pp. 62-64. (In Russ.)

23. Kotyashev A.A., Kaledin A.V. The use of steeply in-clined belt conveyors for transporting rock mass. Gornyi zhurnal [Mining Journal], 1990, no. 5, pp. 61-63. (In Russ.)

24. Velikanov V.S. Gurov M.Yu. Razvitie nauchno-metodologicheskikh osnov sovershenstvovaniya karer¬nykh ekskavatorov na baze nechetko-mnozhestven¬nogo podkhoda [Development of the scientific and methodological framework for improving mining excavators based on a fuzzy-multiple criteria approach]. Magnitogorsk: Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, 2018, 217 p. (In Russ.)

25. Galkin V.I., Dmitriev V.G. Tubular conveyors for the mining industry. Gornoe oborudovanie i elektromek-hanika [Mining Equipment and Electromechanics], 2009, no. 1. (In Russ.)

26. Berman G.N. Tsikloida [Cycloid]. Moscow: Science, 1980, 112 p. (In Russ.)

27. Ivanov A.A., Lukyanov A.A. More about brachisto-chrone and tautochrone. Fizicheskoe obrazovanie v vuzakh [Physics at universities], 1999, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 54-61. (In Russ.)

28. Kaganov V.I. About two great Swiss mathematicians Bernoulli - Jacob and Johann. Nauchno-populyarnyi zhurnal dlya yunoshestva «Strana znanii» [Popular science journal for the youth Country of Knowledge], 2016, no. 2.

29. Zarodnyuk A.V., Cherkasov O.Yu. Qualitative analy-sis of optimal motion trajectories of a material point in resisting medium and the brachistochrone problem. Izvestiya Rossiiskoi akademii nauk. Teoriya i sistemy upravleniya [Proceedings of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Theory and Control Systems], 2015, no. 1, pp. 41-49. (In Russ.)

30. Belotserkovskaya I.E., Efimova E.V., Vtyurin M.Yu. Solving the brachistochrone problem using spread-sheets in the framework of the extended education curriculum. Informatizatsiya obrazovaniya: problemy i perspektivy: sbornik nauchnykh statey IV Vserossiis-koi nauch.-praktich. internet-konferentsii, posvyash-chennoi pamyati D.Sh. Matrosa. Pod obshchey red. G.B. Podnebesovoy [Informatization of education: problems and prospects: collection of research papers of the 4th All-Russian Scientific and Practical Internet Conference dedicated to the memory of D.Sh. Matros. Ed. by G.B. Podnebesova]. Chelyabinsk: Publishing House of South Ural State University of Humanities and Pedagogy, 2018, pp. 8-18. (In Russ.)

31. Novozhilov B.M. Study of the descent trajectory in astronaut emergency evacuation units at launch complexes. Inzhenernyi zhurnal: nauka i innovatsii [Engineering Journal: Science and Innovations], 2019, no. 10(94), pp. 1-13. (In Russ.)