ISSN (print) 1995-2732
ISSN (online) 2412-9003

download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-1-5-13

Abstract

Relevance and purpose of the study. Due to a decline in the quality indicators of much mineral reserves and complicating conditions for their development, reserves of valuable mineral raw materials, concentrated in thin and very thin ore veins, are of growing interest. The development of such reserves using conventional technologies, including explosive ripping, leads to a significant dilution of the ore mass with empty rocks; this increases the cost of processing raw materials and reduces the throughput of metal. At the same time, well-known technologies and equipment for mechanical selective excavation do not provide adequate efficiency in the development of very thin ore veins composed of strong rocks. A promising method for extracting local areas of lump ores may be their delineation by cutting slots. Objective. Substantiation of a resource-saving method for mining very thin ore veins, providing an increase in performance of local mechanical extraction and a decrease in energy intensity of this process. Results. Experimental studies on cutting samples of vein rocks from one of the gold deposits of the Far East region showed satisfactory results in terms of performance and energy intensity of this process. The paper proposes a method of combined mining of very thin ore veins containing valuable mineral raw materials with an improved mining machine. The method consists in a local advanced mechanical highly selective ascending excavation of the richest sections of a steeply dipping ore vein by cutting slots with cutting discs along the vein boundaries and breaking out the formed pillar using an elastic expanding device, followed by explosive ripping of adjacent rocks. The rest of the vein with lower metal content in ore is recovered using conventional technologies based only on explosive loosening of solid rocks. Separate processing of various grades of ores provides higher rates of metal recovery, which compensates for the additional costs associated with local mechanical extraction of rich vein areas. Conclusions. The use of the proposed method for the selective extraction of the richest areas of very thin ore veins using the improved mining machine can significantly reduce the number of slots cut, reduce energy intensity of the process of preparing solid rocks for excavation and increase performance of equipment in comparison with the known combined technology. Breaking out the pillars contoured with slots by means of an inflatable jack increases reliability and quality of mechanical excavation, as well as reduces the load on the steel structure of the mining machine.

Keywords

very thin ore veins, selective mechanical mining, cutting discs, slotting, inflatable jack, pillars breaking, performance, energy intensity.

For citation

Cheban A.Yu. Substantiation of a Method for Processing Valuable Mineral Raw Materials Contained in Very Thin Ore Deposits. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University]. 2022, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 5–13. https://doi.org/10.18503/1995-2732-2022-20-1-5-13

Igor P. Deryabin – DrSc (Eng.), Professor, Tryokhgorny Technological Institute – the branch of National Research Nuclear University MEPhI (TTI NRNU MEPhI), Tryokhgorny, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Anton Yu. Cheban – Lead Researcher, Mining Institute of the Khabarovsk Federal Research Center of the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (MI KhFRC FEB RAS), Khabarovsk, Russia. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Trubetskoy K.N., Shapar A.G. Malootkhodnye i resursosberegayushchie tekhnologii pri otkrytoy razrabotke mestorozhdeniy [Low-waste and resource-saving technologies in open pit mining]. Moscow: Nedra, 1993, 272 p. (In Russ.)

2. Espinoza R.D., Rojo J. Towards sustainable mining (Part I): Valuing investment opportunities in the mining sector. Resources Policy, 2017, vol. 52, pp. 7–18.

3. Cheban A.Yu. Method and equipment for opencast mining of small steeply dipping deposits. Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Vestnik of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2017, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 18–23. (In Russ.)

4. Gorash Yu.Yu. Development of gold mining at the Darasunsky mine. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten [Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin], 2004, no. 11, pp. 154–156. (In Russ.)

5. Rogizny V.F., Khromov V.M. Selective mining of thin ore bodies using small self-propelled underground equipment. Ratsionalnoe osvoenie nedr [Mineral Mining & Conservation], 2019, no. 2–3, pp. 88–98. (In Russ.)

6. Yun Yu.A., Esina E.N., Rylnikov A.G., Gadzhieva L.A. Substantiating mining separation parameters of mining mass by the development of Zhezkazgan region copper deposits. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ser. Nauki o Zemle [Izvestiya of Tula State University. Series: Earth Sciences], 2019, no. 3, pp. 203–212. (In Russ.)

7. Adams M.D. Gold ore processing: project development and operations. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2016, 980 p.

8. Jarvie-Eggart M.E. Responsible mining: case studies in managing social & environmental risks in the developed world. Colorado: Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, 2015, 804 р.

9. Golik V.I., Lukyanov V.G., Kachurin N.M., Stas G.V. Efficiency of combining ore mining technologies within an ore field. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Inzhiniring georesursov [Bulletin of Tomsk Polytechnic University. Geo Assets Engineering], 2020, vol. 331, no. 10, pp. 32–39. (In Russ.)

10. Kaplunov D.R., Rylnikova M.V. Principles of designing mining and engineering systems for integrated mineral mining with a combined geotechnology. Journal of Mining Science, 2008, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 578–584.

11. Pavlov A.M., Vasiliev D.S. Enhancing the efficiency of underground mining of steeply dipping thin veins. Gornaya promyshlennost [Mining Industry], 2017, no. 1, pp. 86–87. (In Russ.)

12. Pozdnyakov M.V., Mikhailov Yu.V., Kurbanmagomedov K.D. Selecting a safe process flow diagram of mining thin ores by drilling. Vestnik Severo-Kavkazskogo federalnogo universiteta [Newsletter of North Caucasus Federal University], 2013, no. 2, pp. 52–55. (In Russ.)

13. Labutin V.N. A combined method of rock destruction in mixed face excavation. Fundamentalnye i prikladnye voprosy gornykh nauk [Basic and Applied Issues of Mining Sciences], 2016, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 108–113. (In Russ.)

14. Dmitrak Yu.V., Kartavy A.N., Kartavy N.G., Serov V.A. Development of low-cutting working tools of VSA type mining machines for thin coal beds. Gornoe oborudovanie i elektromekhanika [Mining Equipment and Electromechanics], 2012, no. 7, pp. 2–7. (In Russ.)

15. Yucong P., Quansheng L., Qi L. Full-scale linear cutting tests to check and modify a widely used semi-theoretical model for disc cutter cutting force prediction. Acta geotechnical, 2020, vol. 15, no.‏ 6, pp.‏ 1481–1500.

16. Nesmeyanov B.V., Nesmeyanova Yu.B., Gorozhankin V.V. On construction of open-pit sides with untraditional methods and equipment for disintegration of rock. Marksheideriya i nedropolzovanie [Mine Surveying and Subsoil Use], 2012, no. 6, pp. 38–41. (In Russ.)

17. Cheban A.Yu. Technology of combined excavation of thin ore veins from masses packed by strong rocks. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ser. Nauki o Zemle [Izvestiya of Tula State University. Series: Earth Sciences], 2021, no. 1, pp. 261–270. (In Russ.)

18. Stepanov V.A., Melnikov A.V. Deposits of gold-sulphide-quartz formation of the Amur province. Regionalnaya geologiya i metallogeniya [Regional Geology and Metallogeny], 2016, no. 68, pp. 108–116. (In Russ.)

19. Atlas mnogofaktornykh modeley zolotorudnykh mestorozhdeniy Dalnego Vostoka [Atlas of multifactor models of gold deposits in the Far East]. Khabarovsk: Publishing House of the Far Eastern Institute of Mineral Resources, 2000, 204 p. (In Russ.)

20. Gvozdev V.I., Goryachev N.A., Vakh A.S., Fedoseev D.G., Semenyak B.I. Mineral composition and typomorphic features of minerals in gold veins of the Kirovskyi deposit (the Upper Amur region). Tikhookeanskaya geologiya [Russian Journal of Pacific Geology], 2013, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 40–51. (In Russ.)

21. Anikin E.S., Likharev A.V., Pogorely B.F. Pnevmatichesky domkrat [Pneumatic jack]. Patent RF, no. 2322383, 2008.

22. Shumilova L.V., Reznik Yu.N., Trubachev A.I. Pererabotka zolotosoderzhashchikh rud metodom kuchnogo i kyuvetnogo vyshchelachivaniya: problemy i perspektivy razvitiya [Processing of gold-bearing ores by heap and vat leaching: problems and prospects of development]. Chita: ChitSU, 2009, 388 p. (In Russ.)